• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dawes glacier excursion questions

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
DH gets seasick (he can usually hold it together on the large ship but has an awful time with ferries and sightseeing cruises in and around the NY Harbor/LI sound where we live). Can anyone speak about the seasick levels for the Dawes glacier boat? Is it going fast/rocking/rolling? Or is it there little movement? I’d have to remove him from the excursion by mid next week to not be charged.

As a follow up question, there’s only 5 of our 9-person party doing the Dawes excursion. I know they don’t give credit to cancel past the 3-days-til mark, but can we transfer another individual to it instead once onboard (different room, linked reservation)?

and last question: how much colder/wetter is it on the little boat than the cruise ship? Want to be sure my little ones are dressed appropriately.

We did it this past May. It was awesome. It was also a lot colder on the smaller boat, which still isn't that small and it goes really slow but faster than the wonder. The boat didn't really rock much either. The Pilot kept it smooth and was making sure to give us some great views.

It seemed to move very slowly from my vantage point on the deck of the Wonder - don't want to hit an iceberg and end up on the news!

Wonder was very stable, Look into the patches that go behind your ear. MIL tends to get very sick and did great with those on the 7 night cruise. we did 2 all day excursions whale watching also.

When we went June 15, I would not say it was rocky but we definitely went fast. The Wonder left the glacier much earlier and we sailed around and explored and then had to catch up. The wind and cold temperatures made me very glad I’d brought my gloves and hat. We LOVED the excursion.

This was the only time in Alaska that I wore gloves. I did not wear a winter coat and just layered in a t-shirt, long sleeve tshirt, sweatshirt and I was supposed have brought a windbreaker which I forgotten my stateroom on the Wonder. If you plan to spend time outside while the ship is moving (I highly recommend doing this) it gets pretty windy. It also can rain- it did for us- and you may still want to be prepared to be outside when the ship stops to enjoy the upper deck views of the glacier. You don't need to dress like you will be outside all day because there is an inside part of the ship to take shelter in, but plan to dress well enough to be outside for an hour or so straight and you'll probably be ok. Pack a hat and light/moderate gloves (ski gloves are not needed) and you'll probably be just fine.

As for sea sickness I didn't see anyone suffer at all on this excursion, and I have been on a similar sized or even slightly bigger boat in other waters around the world and have seen many people get sea sick. Your milage may vary. Come prepared but don't stress over it to much would be my advise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter