Dating Red Flags?

I know friends who still live in their parents house and have well established, great paying careers and choose to spend their well earned cash on things they could not afford to if they had a mortgage and the like. My point is, if sometimes living at home if someone does not have a financial reason to leave the "nest", should it still be a red flag? Many millennials have student debt that it takes into their thirties to pay off. Just an example.
The only time I have lived at home since moving years ago was after my divorce. I regrouped for about a month and then moved out again. I think I would really wonder about someone who was 30+ and living at home, especially if they could live on their own but choose not to simply to afford things. That seems a little immature to me. Living on your own and having responsibilities is part of being an adult. If they can't be adult for themselves, what are they going to be like in a relationship?

Also you asked if someone here would date you because of your list, do you discuss these things with women when you do go out with them? Since many of the items on your list are indicative of a conservative church goer - why don't you try meeting women at your place of worship?

Sometimes I wonder if any single women on the Disboards would ever consider a date with @Buzz Rules given my list. (Speaking hypotheticaly of course, not trying to sound like a creep in anyway).

Also, given a previous comment, I'm curious if the perspective of the 30+ year old living at their parent's house has changed in the recent years. I know friends who still live in their parent's house and have well established, great paying careers and choose to spend their well earned cash on things they could not afford to if they had a mortgage and the like. My point is, if sometimes living at home if someone does not have a financial reason to leave the "nest", should it still be a red flag? Many millennials have student debt that it takes into their thirties to pay off. Just an example.
Actually yes, living at home in one's 30s is a red flag. But keep in mind a red flag is something to investigate further where you may or may not find a deal breaker, not in and of itself a deal breaker.

Sometimes I wonder if any single women on the Disboards would ever consider a date with @Buzz Rules given my list. (Speaking hypotheticaly of course, not trying to sound like a creep in anyway).

Also, given a previous comment, I'm curious if the perspective of the 30+ year old living at their parent's house has changed in the recent years. I know friends who still live in their parent's house and have well established, great paying careers and choose to spend their well earned cash on things they could not afford to if they had a mortgage and the like. My point is, if sometimes living at home if someone does not have a financial reason to leave the "nest", should it still be a red flag? Many millennials have student debt that it takes into their thirties to pay off. Just an example.
I moved out at 18 and made my way. I put myself through nursing school and bought a condo at 26.
My kids moved out in their 20’s are all doing well.
My husband and I feel like if you don’t leave home you never grow up, get married, become independent. My ex lived with his mother until he was 28 and marrying him was a huge mistake. He was not mature even though he was a lot older. So when I hear someone over 21 is still at home my initial thought is wow, what a loser.

The only time I have lived at home since moving years ago was after my divorce. I regrouped for about a month and then moved out again. I think I would really wonder about someone who was 30+ and living at home, especially if they could live on their own but choose not to simply to afford things. That seems a little immature to me. Living on your own and having responsibilities is part of being an adult. If they can't be adult for themselves, what are they going to be like in a relationship?
If they pay all their own bills and basically paying rent to their parents, is that really any different than an apartment? Life is expensive and apartments/house prices are nuts in most areas right now.

Average age of a first time homebuyer was 36 in 2022, it was 33 in 2021. It’s just becoming a bit of a norm.

If they pay all their own bills and basically paying rent to their parents, is that really any different than an apartment? Life is expensive and apartments/house prices are nuts in most areas right now.
Yes very different. As I posted just before you, “Still living at home” is much different than moving “back in” and helping elderly parents with bills, etc.
*edit* just wanted to add that elderly parents isn’t some kind of requirement to make it ok. Moving back in can makes better sense for a multitude of reasons.

Last edited:
To me it is, because it signifies that someone has ventured out on their own. Not to mention, and maybe you don't think the same way I do, but say you go on a date and you want things to go to the next level. Are you going to take them home to your parents house? Get a hotel (talk about expensive)? I dated a lot when I was single and I liked the idea that if I wanted to bring someone home, I could and didn't have to sneak around.

My son wanted to move home but instead I paid the down payment fr an apartment. Yes he could save more at home but he would probably be some saddo playing video games 24/7 if we had not pushed him to be independent. Now he’s got a better job, a nicer place and a great girl. They would never have met if he was still living here.

To me it is, because it signifies that someone has ventured out on their own. Not to mention, and maybe you don't think the same way I do, but say you go on a date and you want things to go to the next level. Are you going to take them home to your parents house? Get a hotel (talk about expensive)? I dated a lot when I was single and I liked the idea that if I wanted to bring someone home, I could and didn't have to sneak around.
It is equally an issue the other way around. If it is the parent who is dating. It is kind of an issue to bring a date home when your adult children are living there.

It’s weird. The generation below mine is waiting so long for everything. For example I had both kids by 27 but my kids are in their 30’s and no sign that I will ever have more than a grand puppy!
It may be smart of them not to get financially into trouble. It’s a different world now, than when we were kids, our parents could buy a home and support a family on an avg income of just one person. Now you NEED two incomes just to afford rent, much less save enough for a down payment on a home.

It’s weird. The generation below mine is waiting so long for everything. For example I had both kids by 27 but my kids are in their 30’s and no sign that I will ever have more than a grand puppy!
It’s not too weird. The $$ of my generation (Millennial) and younger doesn’t carry as far as it did in the 80s, 90s even 00s, with the education costs, housing costs and tack on the inflation that everyone is experiencing. So choices and sacrifices are made of what are viewed as societal norms.

My circumstance (Married w/ 2 kids btw) I lucked out timing of buying my home before prices skyrocketed along with rates, but right now kids looking to buy a home at that 6-8% or even renting at the inflated rent rates, I don’t necessarily blame them for trying to stay home

It may be smart of them not to get financially into trouble. It’s a different world now, than when we were kids, our parents could buy a home and support a family on an avg income of just one person. Now you NEED two incomes just to afford rent, much less save enough for a down payment on a home.
It’s not too weird. The $$ of my generation (Millennial) and younger doesn’t carry as far as it did in the 80s, 90s even 00s, with the education costs, housing costs and tack on the inflation that everyone is experiencing. So choices and sacrifices are made of what are viewed as societal norms.

My circumstance (Married w/ 2 kids btw) I lucked out timing of buying my home before prices skyrocketed along with rates, but right now kids looking to buy a home at that 6-8% or even renting at the inflated rent rates, I don’t necessarily blame them for trying to stay home
This is why I'm wondering if the status of that red flag has changed in the dating world?

I get what you're saying. Me being "a real MCcoy", it wouldn't really be an issue. However, if I was in the "at home with parents situation" I would say hotel option. Or if she wanted and was ready to take that next step (I always let the woman set the pace of the relationship in matters such as this) her place could be the obvious answer, if she was completely comfortable with that.

So this little twist in the conversation is getting me wondering how many people here are in relationships with someone who has differing political views and how they make it work. I guess I kind of assumed that if someone says that they don't believe in god, they are more than likely politically liberal and that aligns with my beliefs. This was likely flawed as I'm sure there are atheist conservatives out there, I just didn't encounter many of them. If someone had fairly quickly let me know that they were conservative, unless there was some other compelling reason to suss things out, I probably would've not gone out with them again.

In our case, (married 33 yrs) it's evolved quite a bit. When we first met, I leaned a lot more liberal than DH, but I was actually a registered Republican at the time (specifically because I refused to belong to the same party as Edwin Edwards.) Various life experiences have altered our perspectives on a lot of things, and these days we both belong to the same party and have extremely similar views on social issues; though DH remains a fair bit to my right on economic issues. In all that, what was truly important was that neither of us was blindly rigid in our viewpoints, and were both willing and able to respectfully and rationally discuss political issues even when we do not agree. I would have great difficulty living with someone who was unable or unwilling to do that, because I think politics are very important to our daily lives.

Smoking was also a deal-breaker for me; my Dad died of occupationally-induced lung cancer when I was in my early teens. He extracted a deathbed promise from me that I would never smoke, and I've honored that promise for 50 years. To me, the scent of tobacco smoke, besides being noisome, is inextricably linked with death, because my Dad died in a 4-man cancer ward, and the other 3 men (and their wives) continued to smoke even as it was killing them. The scent of marijuana (even varieties regarded as "good stuff") has always made me nauseous, so that's also a hard no, because it truly clings to people, and I have a very sensitive sense of smell.

Lastly, attitudes about money. I am what is sometimes known as a "tweener"; someone who grew up working-class and educated myself into a white-collar profession, thus making sure that I didn't fit properly in either one of those worlds. I found that men who came from money never understood my insecurities about it, but almost all blue-collar men that I met still failed the smoking test back then. (And they also tended to resent my education.) As it happens, DH is also a tweener, the first one I ever dated, and he instantly understood. (He is also the grandchild of immigrants, and I'm first generation; that factor also contributes to our compatibility.)

Travel issues were not exactly a deal-breaker, but were important. My passport lapsed for many years because I couldn't afford overseas travel, and it was a ridiculous thing to spend money on under those circumstances. The "test" at the time was just general attitude toward travel. If he was a generally frugal person who asked questions that made it clear he was curious about new experiences and would pursue it if the money were available, that was good. If someone said, "Oh, I *wish* I could travel, but [fill in the blank]" and then immediately changed the subject, then I knew I was dealing with someone who was probably travel-averse but didn't think it was cool to admit it. My sister was married to someone like that; he acted like travel was a great idea, but as soon as they got married started finding infinite reasons why it just wasn't EVER possible. They were married for 40 years before she finally told him she was just going to start traveling without him. (He pouted, but made no move to join her.)

Last edited:
Many years ago, I was talking to a potential date and he said he didn’t believe in animals living in the house. They are not part of the family.

Hard pass for me.

Lots of other things would keep me from dating someone , but that one immediately came to mind.
I’m not currently dating at this stage of my life, but when I was after my divorce I met a man who actually asked if we were to start dating and it became serious if I would be willing to get rid of my dog. No, I would be willing to not date you.

Along those lines, any man that my Lab didn’t take to wouldn’t get another date. I would always trust her judgement of people, not just in dating scenarios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter