DAS requirements

Apeters430

Mouseketeer
Hello, looking to see if anyone could be helpful with a question I have regarding DAS registration. Ive been going back and forth about wether I would qualify for DAS. I've had IBS-M for years which was mild and I could manage well especially on vacations. Early this year it has become more moderate and unpredictable. In May during our trip I had an awful flare up that affected my ability to stay in the parks and do attractions a few days. After talking to a CM who helped me cancel the remaining dinning reservation I had she mentioned DAS and said its worth a shot to get it for our upcoming July trip. Im currently seeing my Gastro Dr. who would like me to do an elimination diet. My issue is the week of my trip is when I would be re-introducing foods and I am a nervous wreck of another flare up ruining my park time. Trip is for my sons birthday and really don't wanna cancel but getting DAS could help with all the uncertainties I may face. Does anyone have experience with getting DAS for possible IBS flare ups? Can I pre register? Any guidance is appreciated

I suggest you connect to the advanced registration chat to discuss it. They don’t want — or need — to know the diagnosis, you should be prepared to explain why you cannot wait in a standard queue environment.

Another thought as well… if I were you, I’d speak to the doctor about pushing off re-introducing foods until you are back home in your routine. On vacation probably isn’t the best time to do that as foods are different, meal times may be different, other factors may complicate things.

I suggest you connect to the advanced registration chat to discuss it. They don’t want — or need — to know the diagnosis, you should be prepared to explain why you cannot wait in a standard queue environment.

Another thought as well… if I were you, I’d speak to the doctor about pushing off re-introducing foods until you are back home in your routine. On vacation probably isn’t the best time to do that as foods are different, meal times may be different, other factors may complicate things.
That is exactly the advice I was going to give.
A vacation is stressful enough without adding in reintroducing foods. Also, the reintroduction may look like some of the reintroduced foods are causing issues when it’s really the stress, the changing and/or different meal times, along with all the food being different.

There absolutely are people who get a DAS for these types of issues. If you feel like you are still having these issues, do not be afraid to go and speak to them about getting a DAS.

Hello, looking to see if anyone could be helpful with a question I have regarding DAS registration. Ive been going back and forth about wether I would qualify for DAS. I've had IBS-M for years which was mild and I could manage well especially on vacations. Early this year it has become more moderate and unpredictable. In May during our trip I had an awful flare up that affected my ability to stay in the parks and do attractions a few days. After talking to a CM who helped me cancel the remaining dinning reservation I had she mentioned DAS and said its worth a shot to get it for our upcoming July trip. Im currently seeing my Gastro Dr. who would like me to do an elimination diet. My issue is the week of my trip is when I would be re-introducing foods and I am a nervous wreck of another flare up ruining my park time. Trip is for my sons birthday and really don't wanna cancel but getting DAS could help with all the uncertainties I may face. Does anyone have experience with getting DAS for possible IBS flare ups? Can I pre register? Any guidance is appreciated
I don't know if you're doing the FODMAP elimination diet but the reintroduction of foods takes awhile. I did FODMAP but stayed on it for a few weeks before reintroducing foods and reintroduction took weeks as well. I don't think it would be very easy to be on that for a Disney trip since it's so hard to control everything that goes into your food without sit down meals. Just throwing that out there. Maybe start the diet when you get back from your trip? You could also wait until you're there to ask for the DAS if you want to see how it goes.

I have similar issues and vacations are very tough.

I would a ask about the das it sounds like it would be good for you. You will need to let the cm know why you can not wait in the stand by line and why waiting outside is needed

Thank You everyone for your help, Another question... we are a party of 7. Do they make exceptions for party size? If not no biggie I know my husband would be willing to sit out a few for our DAS selections. Also, The rest of our party arrives the day after us. Do I wait till Im 30 days our of their date or ours to include them in our pre selections? pretty much I would have a park day before before they arrive and then the rest of the trip together

I also suffer from IBS-M. It can be such an unpredictable and debilitating condition.

That said, I'm not sure how a DAS will actually help you. As you know, when you are "out of commission" you are OUT. The DAS return times cannot be redeemed without the DAS holder present. Not sure how having one will help your party if you are unable to physically be/stay in the parks.

In addition, once you redeem a DAS return time by scanning in, you lose it. So if you scan in and then have to exit the line to use the restroom, you're out of luck. You'll have to get another return time (although I suppose the rest of your party can continue on).

We have a DAS for our son for another issue. It has never been any help to ME when I'm having a flare. I just have to either skip going or spend a LOT of time in the bathroom. It's not a matter of just more frequent bathroom breaks, but almost a constant need to be near one for HOURS on end.

I feel like Genie+ will be a better option for your family, as they can use it without you if you have to leave the group.

I also wouldn't be reintroducing foods on vacation. FWIW, IBS-M rarely responds to dietary changes. It's almost always stress/hormonal in nature. IBS-D often responds to low FODMAP, but I got absolutely nothing out of my elimination diet. Food doesn't have any impact on my symptoms. I have literally suffered days long attacks while eating nothing but clear fluids, white rice, and poached chicken breast.

Thank You everyone for your help, Another question... we are a party of 7. Do they make exceptions for party size? If not no biggie I know my husband would be willing to sit out a few for our DAS selections. Also, The rest of our party arrives the day after us. Do I wait till Im 30 days our of their date or ours to include them in our pre selections? pretty much I would have a park day before before they arrive and then the rest of the trip together
Won’t you only need to use DAS if you’re having a flare up? Are you booking the pre selections because you’re assuming you will be having one?

I would have a Plan B if you are not approved for the DAS. If your trip relies on getting the pass, I might consider postponing the trip b/c DAS issuance in not a guarantee and you may not actually be helped even if you receive one. Remember, if the DAS holder cannot ride under a DAS time, no one can ride, b/c the DAS is for the holder's benefit only.

My mom also has IBS and incontinence issues. The IBS always seems to worsen when she travels-I think honestly it’s the stress of unfamiliar situations that causes the flare ups. We thought about contacting Disney about this, I feel better now after reading the responses. I’m definitely going to have her call them.

My mom also has IBS and incontinence issues. The IBS always seems to worsen when she travels-I think honestly it’s the stress of unfamiliar situations that causes the flare ups. We thought about contacting Disney about this, I feel better now after reading the responses. I’m definitely going to have her call them.
What exactly are you looking for Disney to do when you call them? Or are you talking about getting DAS in advance, which is a video chat done online (not a phone call)?

What exactly are you looking for Disney to do when you call them? Or are you talking about getting DAS in advance, which is a video chat done online (not a phone call)?
Exactly.

She should log into DAS registration site exactly at 7AM and get into the chat. At that time hopefully the wait will be short. When the CM gets on the video chat, forget the diagnosis… they don’t need to hear this. Explain exactly why she cannot wait in a standard stand by line.

You can help her, but you can’t do this for her. She must be there.

My advice is be brief, specific and to the point. This isn’t an essay question. When I read some posts that go on and on with diagnoses and unnecessary details I just pray this isn’t what they are telling the CM. There are cases where as I’m reading that I actually worry that they are talking the CM out of the DAS!

Last edited:
I meant video chat-I honestly use the term call for many kinds of communication 😬. This is new territory for us. We have visited frequently, but not with my mom.

Yes, they can make exceptions but it is not guaranteed. We are traveling with a large group - 18 people! Two have the DAS and they allowed us to have 7 per DAS. It's not enough for the entire party but better than I anticipated and will at least allow all the kids to ride together.

I have IBS-M as well and just finished elimination diet and started reintroducing foods. I would NOT do it while on vacation. I’ve had a really bad reaction to gluten and it’s sent me into another flare up after I’ve been relatively symptom free for 6 weeks on the diet.

I also suffer from IBS-M. It can be such an unpredictable and debilitating condition.

That said, I'm not sure how a DAS will actually help you. As you know, when you are "out of commission" you are OUT. The DAS return times cannot be redeemed without the DAS holder present. Not sure how having one will help your party if you are unable to physically be/stay in the parks.

In addition, once you redeem a DAS return time by scanning in, you lose it. So if you scan in and then have to exit the line to use the restroom, you're out of luck. You'll have to get another return time (although I suppose the rest of your party can continue on).

We have a DAS for our son for another issue. It has never been any help to ME when I'm having a flare. I just have to either skip going or spend a LOT of time in the bathroom. It's not a matter of just more frequent bathroom breaks, but almost a constant need to be near one for HOURS on end.

I feel like Genie+ will be a better option for your family, as they can use it without you if you have to leave the group.

I also wouldn't be reintroducing foods on vacation. FWIW, IBS-M rarely responds to dietary changes. It's almost always stress/hormonal in nature. IBS-D often responds to low FODMAP, but I got absolutely nothing out of my elimination diet. Food doesn't have any impact on my symptoms. I have literally suffered days long attacks while eating nothing but clear fluids, white rice, and poached chicken breast.
Do you have any advice on how to control a flare up when traveling? I just got diagnosed within the last year and this will be my first trip. We’re going to DL the second week in august and I’m already stressing… which I know doesn’t help.

Do you have any advice on how to control a flare up when traveling? I just got diagnosed within the last year and this will be my first trip. We’re going to DL the second week in august and I’m already stressing… which I know doesn’t help.

I can share what I do that helps.

I tend towards the "C" side of IBS-M. For me, a "flare up" is a day of everything "clearing out" to keep it delicate. It's often several hours of cramping followed by numerous visits to the bathroom. Following that, my stomach becomes very sensitive and I experience spasms (both painless twitches and painful cramps) and an urgent need to use the bathroom after most meals. This lasts 2-3 more days before settling down.

If I am traveling, or at home with plans to go to the parks, that "day 1" event makes me literally unable to be more than a few steps from a bathroom for HOURS. There is nothing I can do or take. I just have to let it happen. And its completely unpredictable, which is the worst part. I never know when it will happen and there are no definitive triggers.

I immediately start taking IB Gard. It's an OTC peppermint oil capsule, recommended by my gastroenterologist. It works to settle down the "D" phase, without resorting to Immodium (which can trigger the "C" phase of IBS quite badly). The IB gard works well, but it's kind of problematic if you are eating at unpredictable intervals (like snacking). You have to take it on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before eating. I try and use the mobile order times as guidelines of when to take the pills and that helps. It has to be taken 3 times a day for maximum effect.

I also do always bring Immodium and I will take ONE per day for days 2 and 3, to control the "D" so that I can function. I also eat kind of light. No fried or heavy fat foods like ice cream. I will do grilled meats and veggies, rice, toast or another bread (Mickey pretzels are good), some barely ripe bananas (grab from the fruit carts in parks), etc. This is the time to eat small, low fat meals. By day 3 or 4 I can go back to normal eating. At DL, I will grab the Bengal Rice Plate with chicken and double rice (no slaw during a flare up), or the turkey sandwich from Jolly Holiday, skip the chips. At DCA, I'd get some chicken tacos from Cocina Cucamonga, a rice bowl from Lucky Fortune, or a bread bowl soup from Pacific Wharf (if they have a non cream based soup option). Also helpful is Jamba in Downtown Disney. I'll get a smoothie with greek yogurt for some extra probiotics for breakfast. Also, and very importantly, SKIP THE COFFEE during a flare up. I do need some daily caffeine so I will have coke zero instead of a morning coffee.

As a general recommendation, I've tried ALL kinds of probiotics and have FINALLY found one that works well for me and keeps me pretty "regular" in that I'm not experiencing the drastic extremes of either "C" or "D". Not sure if you are male or female, but I take TruNature Women's Daily Probiotic. There is another version that is not women specific as well. I get it at Costco, but its available elsewhere. Its helped more than anything else I've ever tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter