DAS Questions

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
I"m feeling so overwhelmed - we leave tomorrow and this trip has changed so many times. I feel like I know nothing but too overwhelmed with the other parts of the trip to focus on our one day in the parks. Anyway - if you have seen me ask this question in other posts, sorry! Trying to tie it all together:

We start our day at DCA on Thursday. We have to get a DAS for my son. From my understanding, we do this at Chamber of Commerce or a Kiosk (not sure what a kiosk really is). But, we will rope drop and we are let into the park a little early, right? If so, are these kiosks or Chamber of Commerce open? Will we waste time waiting for someone to help us or should we prioritize some rides while my son is in a better "mood?" I really was hopeful that we were going to be able to pre-register for this, but didn't come together in time. I don't want this to be stressing me out, but it is!

Thanks!

Chamber of Commerce is the little building to the left as soon as you walk into the park (its tucked back) they will be open as soon as you can get into the park. If it was me I would get the DAS right away, the line has never been very long at DCA Feel free to PM me with any questions about DAS

When you're looking at the map in the app select Guest Services (where it normally says attractions), then choose to filter and select "accessibility services". It'll show you where the kiosks throughout both parks that you can get a DAS return time. You can spot them because they are almost always set up under a big patio umbrella. It's literally just a podium under an umbrella with a couple of cast members hanging out.

When you're looking at the map in the app select Guest Services (where it normally says attractions), then choose to filter and select "accessibility services". It'll show you where the kiosks throughout both parks that you can get a DAS return time. You can spot them because they are almost always set up under a big patio umbrella. It's literally just a podium under an umbrella with a couple of cast members hanging out.
Super helpful. Thanks!

I’m addition to the kiosks, can we request a return time at the actual attraction?

I’m addition to the kiosks, can we request a return time at the actual attraction?

You can, technically, but they hate when people do this because it slows down/clogs up the process of letting people into the return line. They prefer you use the kiosks, which are all over.

Rope drop for DCA on thursday - probably Chamber would be pretty easy to get in. They cannot issue any return times until 800A, but the DAS signup takes about 5minutes to go through the questions, signing Terms, and photo of the primary DAS holder.

You can try the Circle too as they tend to have 2-3 people in the AM to field issues and moves relatively quickly if Chamber is lined up.

Other areas for return times for DCA: to the left of facing Carsland entrance. Across from Jessie's Carousel by the old fastpass distribution for incredicoaster.

I never knew they could issue return times at the point of the ride like WDW had setup in the past. Things you learn!

Rope drop for DCA on thursday - probably Chamber would be pretty easy to get in. They cannot issue any return times until 800A, but the DAS signup takes about 5minutes to go through the questions, signing Terms, and photo of the primary DAS holder.

You can try the Circle too as they tend to have 2-3 people in the AM to field issues and moves relatively quickly if Chamber is lined up.

Other areas for return times for DCA: to the left of facing Carsland entrance. Across from Jessie's Carousel by the old fastpass distribution for incredicoaster.

I never knew they could issue return times at the point of the ride like WDW had setup in the past. Things you learn!
9 times out of 10 they will tell you to go to a kiosks so I don't bother.

I will be there on Tuesday starting at DL. Where do I go to request the DAS, and is it a long line?

(Dysautonomia, I have to elevate my legs A LOT and have no heat tolerance)

I will be there on Tuesday starting at DL. Where do I go to request the DAS, and is it a long line?

(Dysautonomia, I have to elevate my legs A LOT and have no heat tolerance)
They will recommwnd you get a wheelchair. DAS isn't available for people with mobility and stamina based disabilities, unfortunately.

By the way, you can get the DAS issued at any of the kiosks. I avoid the City Hall/Chamber of Commerce location when we need to renew our DAS because the lines are always long.
Thanks for that. My daughter didn't want to waste her good back time waiting in line for that. Not sure she'll ever want to get it, as she just doesn't bother with most rides, but at least we know it's an option now. Strangely, her back actually feels a lot better after riding Guardians. Maybe she should get DAS so that she can ride that when she needs to reset her back - joking, of course.

What is DAS for, then?
DAS is more for non-mobility disabilities. If the issues can be resolved by using an ECV or wheelchair, they will recommend this.

DAS is more for a child who has autism and cannot wait in lines for extended periods, someone with certain illnesses that can preclude them from being in line or causing them to suddenly need to leave a line, thus giving the DAS and having the ability to get a return time for the ride (time will be about equal to the standby time, they just won't need to be in the line) makes their visit a little easier.

What is DAS for, then?
Every situation is different. You were already given the example of a child with autism who would be overwhelmed by a traditional line due to sensory issues or an inability to understand waiting. Another example may be a person who needs insulin injections, as they may need to leave the line at a moments notice to treat themselves with insulin and a bustling line isn't an appropriate place to do so.
People who can't stand for long periods of time because they will become fatigued, dizzy, lightheaded, or cause themselves to be in pain will be recommended to get an ECV or wheelchair to prevent them from doing excessive amounts of walking and standing. You also mention heat intolerance. There was a very large discussion on the disabilities board just a couple months back about how being sensitive to heat was not considered a reason for DAS, with plenty of experiences shared. Also next Tuesday's high is 70 and cloudy with lows in the 50s. Disney will not consider that risk worthy heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter