DAS .. Last week

Kirlinale

Mouseketeer
I have to say I was quite concerned reading about the DAS and there were so many boards and conversations regarding it on the WEB. I was even approached at the parks about signing a petition to 'Stop it'.

As I usually do, I go in with a open mind and a little research. I find that sometimes we tend to scream before we are hit so I wanted to test it out before I screamed. I was VERY pleased. I fully appreciate everyone's needs are different so I can only speak for our experience.

My daughter has many issues related to both a brain tumor , epilepsy and recent surgery to remove a large section of brain. She uses a wheelchair for fatigue and when things are crowded for safety. In the past we had a GAC which always met our needs.

I thought for sure this was going to be a big ol' headache, but, I found we spent WAY less time waiting for things, Enjoyed more of the park , got on all the attractions and saw all the shows she wanted to see. The handicapped/alternate areas were not crowded because of the new system and the FP+ really reduced the frustration of the lines in general. I just spent 4 days in both Epcot and MK with her , one day on my own with her, and it was one of our most enjoyable trips. I found that all our needs were met and that the card did what it was intended to do, meet our needs while providing appropriate and equal access. There was not a lot of running around and with a bit of planning we did so much more than we have done in the past.

I got our DAS in MK and the process was handled very well. The Cast members are really following the rules and checking and double checking things. I think this really makes it work better. Less chance for fraud and thus reducing the overall burden of the cast members and the lines themselves were the most organized and moving I have seen in all my years of visiting.

I have found so many more educated cast members for disabilities. Is there room for improvement? Of Course. I have already provided my feedback. However, I think they are on the right track.

Now If I can just get them to mark the ramps off the curbs better :) so when you are pushing a wheelchair through a crowd you don't crash off the curbs..

If I can answer any questions please post them. I feel that my family was provided an equal and fair access to the rides and park. I feel the system met our needs more so then in the past and we were able to do so much more than before. We have always had a pretty full stamped GAC and also have done MAW through Disney Cruise - other than MAW Cruise this trip was the most enjoyable hands down thanks to the newer system.

Thanks for your report.

We went to WDW from October 25 thru Nov 9 and found the same things as you did.

I have to say I was quite concerned reading about the DAS and there were so many boards and conversations regarding it on the WEB. I was even approached at the parks about signing a petition to 'Stop it'.

Thanks for your positive report. But I have to ask, who approached you about signing a petition to stop the DAS?

We were approached two times asking about 'how was the 'card' working for us and that we should sign this petition to get Disney to eliminate it. (they gave me a name of website to go to which I no longer remember). My response was that I was going to use an open mind and try to give it a good shot before I had an opinion (I was only there a few hours after being approached the first time) .

I will say that everyone is an individual... even similar disabilities have different needs.. I can't not say how this will affect other people. However, I have a child with significant medical and mental disabilities and issues. The new system worked fine, better than fine, and while I was not given the same access I had in the pass.. I think this system is more fair and balanced and thus reduced the issues the old system had and therefore created a more positive experience for us. It was very very clear to all the CM's how to handle the cards and I liked that the new system protected this for our differently abled populations.

We didn't plan on doing WDW again.. but an opportunity presented itself and then I learned they changed the card, read about how many upset people there were about it I almost didn't go.. but I am soooo glad we tried it out and I really have to say I was more than pleased..

I was told that the system will be tweaked as needed overtime from feedback received and that goal is to make the world fairly accessible to everyone .. I think they did this much better then any previous trips.. I hope my feedback helps continue to develop this new system.

Whoever would be approaching people on Disney property about a petition against Disney is setting themselves up for problems lol. Whack jobs. Disney doesn't tolerate soliciting.

I'm glad you had a great time. Thank you for the review.

How did they know you had a DAS? Was this at an attraction, or at Guest Services? No matter how I feel about the DAS, that would annoy me.

How did they know you had a DAS? Was this at an attraction, or at Guest Services? No matter how I feel about the DAS, that would annoy me.
I have heard they are actively watching attractions to see people using DAS cards and hanging around Guest Relations to see who comes out with one visible.
I have heard they are also targeting people with visible disabilities or who 'look autistic'.

If caught, they could get thrown out of the park since WDW does not allow solicitation.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My DD and I went to DLR last month and found the DAS works better for her. The FP lines are back to being that - FP lines. I found that the CM's are really trying and in general are very positive. We even had the opportunity a couple of times to have some "Disney magic."

I don't know what I would do if I were to be approached by someone, in Disney, about signing a petition. It just doesn't seem right. I know I wouldn't sign it. I think that I would politely decline and then discretely seek out a CM to report them.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My DD and I went to DLR last month and found the DAS works better for her. The FP lines are back to being that - FP lines. I found that the CM's are really trying and in general are very positive. We even had the opportunity a couple of times to have some "Disney magic."

I don't know what I would do if I were to be approached by someone, in Disney, about signing a petition. It just doesn't seem right. I know I wouldn't sign it. I think that I would politely decline and then discretely seek out a CM to report them.
:thumbsup2

I have heard they are actively watching attractions to see people using DAS cards and hanging around Guest Relations to see who comes out with one visible.
I have heard they are also targeting people with visible disabilities or who 'look autistic'.

If caught, they could get thrown out of the park since WDW does not allow solicitation.

I hope people start reporting them to cast members. Ridiculous

Now If I can just get them to mark the ramps off the curbs better :) so when you are pushing a wheelchair through a crowd you don't crash off the curbs..

If I can answer any questions please post them. I feel that my family was provided an equal and fair access to the rides and park. I feel the system met our needs more so then in the past and we were able to do so much more than before. We have always had a pretty full stamped GAC and also have done MAW through Disney Cruise - other than MAW Cruise this trip was the most enjoyable hands down thanks to the newer system.

I have to agree about better marking of the ramps and curbs cuts. And castmembers assigned to that area at night when people are exiting need to us light to show where it is. Telling you it is right there when you cannot see it is not helpful at all

I know I would be really put off if someone approached me in the parks about signing a petition. I'd probably report it to a CM as well.

I was really caught off guard when approached. I had never been approached before like that and it was sort of unsettling . I didn't report it then, but, I did write to Disney and explained the situation. I think I was more shocked at the time. I was specifically asked how the card was working, why I had one and that a group of autistic parents are supporting a petition to stop the new card from being a standard. I was in line in an attraction. First the person at the FP gate checks your card, time and photo on the card and sends you through. Then there is another FP person who usually will cross off your time - they are usually closer to ride loading area. We were holding there waiting so my daughter could transfer out of her chair and had our DAS out for them to check when we were approached. At first I thought they were just curious but then it got personal. I was not aware of all of this as this trip came out of no where for us (tag along on a business trip my husband had to take) and I happened to come to check out the new stuff (rides, crowds etc.. for that time of year) when I started seeing post after post of the DAS - Thankfully this board had a great sticky so I was prepared for the change but still uncertain how it would work.. My experience was wonderful.

One other area that may be new or that I hadn't noticed before which was a God Send was that in some Quick Service places they have a reserved , roped off handicapped seating area. This allowed me to place my daughter safely at a table while I managed the lines getting her food. During busy times we could move an inch so having a place where she can safely be seated and maneuver her chair a wonderful treat.

Wow, I didn't know that .. How terribly sad, even more for the people who need the DAS and wish to visit the park in peace (like us). We were approached in a queue holding area for us to transfer. There was a very small line and I had her DAS out for the CM to cross off. I did feel very uncomfortable.. I hate to think people are out there stalking others .. how terribly sad ...

I AM a cast member, so I would definitely report petitioners inside the park.

It sadly didn't cross my mind at the time.. I was trying to avoid any confrontation and get away from them. I DID however write and explain the situation.

I have to say I was quite concerned reading about the DAS and there were so many boards and conversations regarding it on the WEB. I was even approached at the parks about signing a petition to 'Stop it'. As I usually do, I go in with a open mind and a little research. I find that sometimes we tend to scream before we are hit so I wanted to test it out before I screamed. I was VERY pleased. I fully appreciate everyone's needs are different so I can only speak for our experience. My daughter has many issues related to both a brain tumor , epilepsy and recent surgery to remove a large section of brain. She uses a wheelchair for fatigue and when things are crowded for safety. In the past we had a GAC which always met our needs. I thought for sure this was going to be a big ol' headache, but, I found we spent WAY less time waiting for things, Enjoyed more of the park , got on all the attractions and saw all the shows she wanted to see. The handicapped/alternate areas were not crowded because of the new system and the FP+ really reduced the frustration of the lines in general. I just spent 4 days in both Epcot and MK with her , one day on my own with her, and it was one of our most enjoyable trips. I found that all our needs were met and that the card did what it was intended to do, meet our needs while providing appropriate and equal access. There was not a lot of running around and with a bit of planning we did so much more than we have done in the past. I got our DAS in MK and the process was handled very well. The Cast members are really following the rules and checking and double checking things. I think this really makes it work better. Less chance for fraud and thus reducing the overall burden of the cast members and the lines themselves were the most organized and moving I have seen in all my years of visiting. I have found so many more educated cast members for disabilities. Is there room for improvement? Of Course. I have already provided my feedback. However, I think they are on the right track. Now If I can just get them to mark the ramps off the curbs better :) so when you are pushing a wheelchair through a crowd you don't crash off the curbs.. If I can answer any questions please post them. I feel that my family was provided an equal and fair access to the rides and park. I feel the system met our needs more so then in the past and we were able to do so much more than before. We have always had a pretty full stamped GAC and also have done MAW through Disney Cruise - other than MAW Cruise this trip was the most enjoyable hands down thanks to the newer system.

Did you get your DAS issued at guest relations inside or outside of MK? That has been inconsistent, and we were asked to have this done inside, even though we showed up significantly before rope drop to secure the card. They issued the GAC outside for us in April, then in November we were requested to ask for this inside, though they eventually relented. We return in July and this will help us know how early to arrive. If we have to wait inside as well we won't show up quite so early. Thanks!

Did you get your DAS issued at guest relations inside or outside of MK? That has been inconsistent, and we were asked to have this done inside, even though we showed up significantly before rope drop to secure the card. They issued the GAC outside for us in April, then in November we were requested to ask for this inside, though they eventually relented. We return in July and this will help us know how early to arrive. If we have to wait inside as well we won't show up quite so early. Thanks!
From what I have been told, the reason for the inconsistency is that the Guest Relations outside the park is frequently very busy with guests who have ticket issues that prevent them from entering the park or they are expecting a lot of guests picking up 'Will Call' tickets there.
When we were at WDW in late October 2013, they had just expanded Fastpass Plus and Magicbands, so there were many guests with ticket/Magicband linkage issues.

When things like that occur, they send any guest who can get into the park to the inside Guest Relation so they can help keep the Outside Guest Relations free for guests who need assistance before they can enter the park.

Take the DAS from November with you. It has a QR access code on it that can be read to help speed the process of getting a new one reissued.

We got our inside the Park (MK) , We find the lines longer - but the service more geared to our needs inside. I find the outside GS to be more centered on, like Sue said, Ticket issues etc. I also usually go later in the evening (as that is when we usually arrive) I never wait more than two or three people then and usually find it process less hectic. I'm not a 'get there' at rope drop kind of person anyway, but, usually find the lines diminish during lunch and dinner hours and also during parades and fireworks. If you can work those times in the results are usually more pleasant. If you get there early and have to wait. Usually one of us waits on line while my daughter and I sit in shade to the side of City Hall until we are needed. We enjoy our breakfast there and it's never been a problem. I find that making it a 'rush rush rush' issue sets the tone for my trip .. so I usually go with the flow and I have never had a problem.

I'm not sure if this still works, but one time, the lines were obscene in MK during a visit in April. We took the Monorail over to Epcot and visited the GS there and hopped back on over to Magic Kingdom.. Was a Breeze during more crowded times, and If I remember it was outside the gates (but I can't be certain)

Thanks for the positive report. We're beginning to plan a trip for fall, and I've been worrying about the change and how it might impact our visit.
We were last there Christmas week 2012, just going any other time will likley seem like a breeze Gac, Das or whatever, after that crazy week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter