DAS for Cognitive Issues in Elderly? (Dementia)

AC7179

Registered
My mom has struggled with cognitive functioning during Covid. In the process of getting tested, etc. That being said, she has asked to go to Disney "one last time" which is a terrible thought, but also........I want to make that happen for her and have the best trip we possibly can.

We are going to do three park days. Two at MK and one at Universal. We got a Universal hotel so we could have the EP.

She would probably be okay at MK if they had FP, but since they don't, I'm debating a DAS. First, would it be appropriate usage? I think I would ask if she could get a return time to come back at the end of a waiting period and wait outside of the queue because of agitation? I have no idea if she will even need it. I'm hopeful she won't, but she is easily agitated when her routine is changed and we haven't traveled since her decline.

Any advice or experience would be helpful! Thank you!

Think about what your concerns are with her waiting in lines. That is what you would need to discuss with Guest Relations in the park to get DAS.

Some people with cognitive issues/dementia have more issues when they are out of their familiar environment and/or are in a situation with a lot of sensory stimulation. They may function OK at home, but the additional stresses of more sensory input and being somewhere outside their usual may make them more confused.
If she’s already agitated when her routine is changed at home, it might be even more of an issue when traveling. Also consider if she likely to wander away.
Those are some things to take into account when thinking about how she may do in lines.
If she’s a wanderer, you may want to consider a wheelchair to help keep her close to you. If you use one at WDW, be sure to stress her other needs to CMs at Guest Relations and that you are using it for safety, not mobility (DAS is generally not given for mobility since lines are accessible).

Thank you. It is a lot to consider. Yes, I think the change in her routine will cause agitation. I am hoping she can still enjoy the trip. I'm writing my phone number on her Magic Band in case we get separated but she generally does as great job of staying close. I will have my 3 daughter (28, 16, and 9) and my soon to be son in law with us, too, so lots of eyes.

I think I will just explain her agitation, anxiety, and restlessness when asking for a DAS. If she doesn't qualify and we don't get to get a DAS, we will just carry on and sit out with her if she needs too. I'm hoping that even with Covid we can still find a place to enjoy a soda in the shade while the others ride.

My other question is.....are they pretty sensitive at Guest Services? Mom is prickly about the words dementia and Alzheimer's. We get around it by talking about her "memory problems" and I think I could get away with cognitive decline, but I'd hate for her feelings to be hurt by the conversation at Guest Services.

My other question is.....are they pretty sensitive at Guest Services? Mom is prickly about the words dementia and Alzheimer's. We get around it by talking about her "memory problems" and I think I could get away with cognitive decline, but I'd hate for her feelings to be hurt by the conversation at Guest Services.
do not be afraid to go back to GS if you find the denying is not working explaining what you have found out since trying the lines. some times that can change the answer. ps your key words are not what they are looking for but what waiting in line does if that makes sense. site rules make telling you what to say not allowed

Last edited:

You can just write down on a piece of paper what her issues are with waiting in line and give it to the CM to read so you do not have to say it out loud. They are sensitive to these issues and will accept a written note.

Not DAS related but just another thing to plan for - the hotel room. My grandmother had dementia at the end and was always very agitated outside of her own environment, even if she came to my parents house which she had been at many, many times throughout the preceding 30+ years. She also fell at my parents beach house (another place that was extremely familiar to her before her dementia started) because she got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and got disoriented. The disorientation led her to fall and then she was so agitated we brought her home in the middle of the night. You might want to see if you can rent bedrails to prevent a fall, etc.

i wish you such good luck as you try this with her and make some lasting memories.

Thank you so much. She's (mostly) still herself, with increased agitation and trouble handling business and money matters. I'm hopeful she can still enjoy the trip.

That is such a good point about the hotel. We were going to stay with my oldest daughter and her fiancee. She had expressed concern about staying with the fiancee (just kind of uncomfortable). I think you convinced me to get two hotel rooms, hopefully connected, and my older girls can have a room and Mom and I can have a room. She does get worse at night, etc., so if it's just she and I in the room, she can sleep with the tv on and the bathroom light on, etc. I really appreciate the kind words.

Thank you so much. She's (mostly) still herself, with increased agitation and trouble handling business and money matters. I'm hopeful she can still enjoy the trip.

That is such a good point about the hotel. We were going to stay with my oldest daughter and her fiancee. She had expressed concern about staying with the fiancee (just kind of uncomfortable). I think you convinced me to get two hotel rooms, hopefully connected, and my older girls can have a room and Mom and I can have a room. She does get worse at night, etc., so if it's just she and I in the room, she can sleep with the tv on and the bathroom light on, etc. I really appreciate the kind words.

My Mom had stroke-related dementia. I was lucky to be her caregiver for the last years of her life, and we went to WDW fairly early in her diagnosis. Here's some info that may be helpful:

One important thing you should do prior to the trip is talk to her doctor, or have someone who goes with her to her appointments ask the doctor's opinion about a trip to WDW. That way, if there is some "hidden" issue that you may not know about (that could cause an issue while you were visiting WDW) it might be brought to everyone's attention prior to the trip, and it could be dealt with appropriately.

WDW has a First Aid station in each of the 4 Parks, but it is not intended to replace a physician's visit prior to going to the Park. Anything too much more serious than a bandage and/or Tylenol can fix will usually result in local EMS being called, and a "bonus" trip in an ambulance to an unfamiliar ER - which can be a nightmare for a dementia/alz patient.

It will be extremely important to keep her hydrated - not just with coffee or tea, but water, and plenty of it. Dehydration can wreak havoc with elders, and can cause UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections) that can mimic everything from a stroke to Alzheimers/Dementia in an otherwise healthy elder. (That's why if you have an elder who suddenly starts acting weird, the first thing a Geriatrician might do is to test their urine for a UTI)

Sunscreen will be very important - elderly skin can be very fragile, and you don't want her to get sunburned. Remember that places like the tops of her ears, back of her neck, arms (if exposed) backs of hands, tops of thighs/knees (if she is wearing shorts) and even the tops of her feet - all may be exposed to *much* more sunlight than she is used to. Wearing a hat or scarf can help prevent her scalp from getting sunburned; Be sure to use a gentle sunblock on any exposed skin.

It's important to try and keep her schedule for meals and meds and sleep as close to her regular daily home schedule as possible. It's so easy for us to keep going and just snack here and there, but for someone who is medically fragile, sticking to their regular schedule can be very important; for dementia patients it is extremely important.

You may want to consider renting a wheelchair for her, just in case she gets fatigued; my Mom would suddenly and unexpectedly get tired; after a certain point, they have difficulty in regulating and anticipating their own needs. Better to have it, and push it around empty than not have it, and need it.

Travel - or anything different - can set off "catastrophic reactions". Mom started having "catastrophic reactions" to ordinary everyday events; things like being afraid of drinking water - or going to the bathroom. Catastrophic Reactions tend to be rapid onset, and can last for any amount of time, and be for any reason. If you think she is "just overreacting" or "being overly dramatic" it may be a catastrophic reaction. You can find a lot of good advice on how to deal with these kinds of issues in the forums over at Alz.org; I found it to be an amazing source of support.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

My mom had incontinence issues related to her stroke-related dementia.

Whenever traveling, we would set up "bathroom kits" that I would create in a gallon zip-lock bag. Each "kit" would have:
- a fresh pair of disposable adult briefs
- a pair of nitrile* gloves
- a small supply of wipes in a sandwich size zip-lock bag.
- a fresh, clean damp washcloth folded in a separate ziplock bag. (You could also substitute a clean cotton bandana if you prefer)

Because Mom sometimes got emotional during toileting (side effect of her strokes) I always popped in another sandwich bag with a few tissues folded up, but that's optional.

In two separate 2-gallon zip-lock bags I would put one pair each of the soft knit pants she preferred to wear in case we needed a wardrobe change. As the day progressed, I would keep/consolidate any "extras" from the toileting kits that we didn't use, and place soiled briefs, wipes, etc. into a ziplock to dispose of. Soiled washclothes went back into a ziplock bag for laundry. By packing everything "flat" in ziploc bags and squishing all the air out, it makes it super easy at Security/Bag check as well; they can see all the contents of every bag, and so won't have to go rooting around through everything.

Typically, everything fit nicely into a backpack that we hung off the back of her wheelchair.

*we only carry nitrile gloves so we don't accidentally expose someone with a Latex allergy to a trigger.

It sounds like a lot - and the first few times we made the "kits" and put everything together, it was kind of overwhelming to try and figure out what we would need. We also would change the kits based on our location and destination; for example, for trips to the doctors office, I would bring along some toilet paper from home because she hated the paper provided in the restrooms there.

Bring what you need - and especially what *she* needs - to feel comfortable.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

For the hotel room at night, you can use one of these (we used it with my Mom to alert us if she got too far down the hall at night)

Wireless Driveway Alert System

You can place the alert unit on the floor, so that if she gets out of bed and breaks the beam, it will sound. The version we bought (several years ago) was QUITE loud, but my husband "muffled" the sound by wrapping the alarm unit in several layers of newspaper and a beach towel, and then putting it into a ziplock bag to hold his wrapping together. Looked weird and lumpy and silly, but it worked!

You can also hang a Christmas bell on the interior Resort room door that would make noise if she tried to leave during the night. Take along some blue painter's tape (won't damage any surfaces in the hotel room) and hang the bell high enough that she can't reach it, but so that the movement of the door will cause it to jingle.

It goes without saying that you will probably need to use a nightlight or keep the bathroom light on with the door cracked so that she can see to get to/from bathroom. A nightlight worked better for us, because Mom would forget and turn off the light, and then stand there in the dark in an unfamiliar place.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

If she has begun wandering, or has trouble remembering who she is with, or where she is, some folks will try to use a lanyard with her name + your name and cell phone number, but those can be removed. Pinning a name tag to her front works until she removes it. Same thing with "safety bracelets" (used for kiddos and Sr's alike); a determined person will just take it off, and the same for a Magic Band. Some folks will use a Sharpie marker, and write contact info directly on the skin - and this can work for kids, but she might not welcome that, and scrubbing it off could be traumatic for her when bathing. In our case, I simply wrote the information on a 3 x 5 index card, folded it in half, and safety-pinned it to the *back* of my Mom's shirt or dress, typically at about the level of where her bra crossed her back. She couldn't reach it to remove it, and it was visible enough that if she needed help, someone would see it. Write "If I am lost" on the outside.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

If you are flying, remember that airports can be noisy, busy, and scary under the best of circumstances. Some folks will do OK with that, but others can be stressed out by the loud noises (think jet engines backing away from the terminal, the beeping of the carts, etc.) and the stress of TSA checkpoints, so be prepared.

If she happens to already have a wheelchair or Rollator that she uses regularly at home, it will fly for free on all US domestic flights; you can gate check it at the door of the aircraft. Do try to let the gate agent know in advance as a courtesy so they can alert ground crews and flight attendants.

Remember that toileting kits are handy when flying as well.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Just based on experience.. here is a list of the things I would be thinking about/preparing for regarding both the trip itself, and actual park day(s):
- Any meds she will need to bring along; knowing what each one is, doseage, and schedule

- Foods; knowing what she will and won't eat, and what favorite snacks are - and is she fully independent when eating, or does she require some assistance or oversight?

- Clothing; many older folks have clothing issues (itchy or binding clothes causing discomfort) Creating an outfit for each day in advance, complete with undergarments and shoes can help. Be sure to bring favorite nightgowns!

- Comfort items; for example, my Mom always loved to have her crossword puzzle book and pencil with her. (and our daughter can't travel without the quilt I made her... LOL we bring the whole house with us)

- Does she have any sensory issues; for example, will it be sensory overload just to sit *next* to a ride, like the Teacups, that spin, and have not only lots of motion, but potentially lots of sound? Can she tolerate noise and crowds for long periods of time, or will she need periodic "respite" in the room or first aid?

- What are her cognitive abilities; can she self-identify? If she does happen to get separated, would she be able to tell a Cast Member who she was, and who you are?

- Will you need to make bathroom kits? Have you traveled away from home with her recently to see how she handles self-toileting in a strange envoirnment?

Again - (really can't overstate this) hydration is super important; lots of people don't know that a silent UTI in an elderly person can actually cause symptoms consistent with advanced dementia, so it's super important to make keeping everyone hydrated a strong priority.

Take along a brightly colored length of grosgrain ribbon or a brightly colored bandana to tie around the handle of the wheelchair. CMs do have to move chairs, strollers and ECVs on a regular basis to help keep walkways clear and paths open. If you have a bright colored bandana on the handlebars, it will stand out much easier in a sea of similar black mobility devices.

- Think about her physical abilities in general; what does she need in the way of accommodations for the trip? Will you need a roll-in shower? Can she bathe and/or toilet herself, or will she need assistance?

- At night, in the hotel room, plan for safety lighting, and if you will need an alert or alarm if she gets out of bed. Generally speaking, try to take the bed nearest the door if possible. If she is disoriented easily at night upon awakening to toilet, remember that a balcony or patio can be a hazard as well.

Finally, about the wheelchair - just a couple of tips to help out. First, you may want to take along a pair of inexpensive bike gloves (or similar) for any member of your party who will pushing her in the chair. Rental chairs tend to be heavy and bulky to begin with, and it doesn't take long before those hard hand grips make blisters. You will be surprised at how many ramps, inclines and hills there are at WDW! Resist the temptation to hang purses, diaper bags, shopping bags, etc. off the handles of the wheelchair - it just adds to the weight, and can cause a potential tipping issue if/when she transfers out of the chair (to eat, to toilet, etc.) If she will be sitting all day - and not getting out of the chair to ride any rides, or to move to a chair to eat - then I would either also rent a gel cushion for the seat, or plan on padding the seat with towels from the hotel. Encourage her to stand every hour, if for no other reason than to straighten up and "fluff" the seat pad, and prevent serious stiffness issues.

Remember that you will always load first and unload last on buses, monorails and boats. CMs, drivers and captains will all be super helpful; just follow their instructions for safety! :)

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

This is all *lot*, I know. And you may think "I don't need all of this information" - But (aside from hydration, hydration, hydration) the most important thing to know about your Mom is that she is probably "hiding" her condition better than you realize. I was shocked when we discovered the actual extent of my Mom's dementia, and it was simultaneously impressive and frightening how good she had been at covering her decline.

This is a common thing that happens with elders who have any form of dementia - don't be surprised if during the course of the trip it becomes more and more evident to you that her condition is more advanced that it appears to be.

And although I know that the thought of the "one last time" trip is overwhelmingly sad, find all of the Magic you can, and make all of the happy memories you can. To this day, when we visit, we go first to the Magic Kingdom, to my Mom's "spot" - her favorite place, the place where I took my most ever treasured picture of her smiling and laughing - and we look up, and we blow her a kiss. The first trip after the last trip is the hardest (just bring a LOT of tissues) - but very, very special as well.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Thank you. Some of that was just heartbreaking, but I am so glad to know and consider these things now, rather than once we are already there.

When you took your mom to Disney with moderate symptoms, was it overall a good trip? Are you glad you took her? Was she able to enjoy it?

Thanks again for all the information and vulnerability.

I wish you all the luck with your trip. My mom also suffered from dementia. We took her out and about as much as possible. But the odd thing was, as time went on, she requested HOT tea. (like scalding) she'd continually send the tea back over and over. Made me crazy back then, now I look back on it fondly. I'll be your mom will have a wonderful time.

Thank you. Some of that was just heartbreaking, but I am so glad to know and consider these things now, rather than once we are already there.

When you took your mom to Disney with moderate symptoms, was it overall a good trip? Are you glad you took her? Was she able to enjoy it?

Thanks again for all the information and vulnerability.

It was actually a really good trip. In part, because at that point I wasn't as aware of exactly how far she had deteriorated; she was still pretty adept at "hiding" or covering some of her deficits and limitations.

Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I would - in a heartbeat! That trip became memorable for many, many reasons - some beautiful, sweet and poignant; others bittersweet - but in the end I wouldn't trade a moment of it for anything.

Because of her particular form of dementia, she found a childlike joy in Disney World that I had never had the opportunity to see before. It gave me a glimpse of what she was like as a little girl, and it was so sweet, and charming and adorable. By that time, we were beginning to be familiar with what would trigger her, or cause her to feel uncomfortable, and so with a bit of extra planning (making sure that we kept to bedtime/medication routines/favorite foods at meals) and remembering to be very flexible (doesn't matter if you have the best FP+ in the history of WDW, if she isn't feeling it... give it up, and go on and do something else) and just taking time to *enjoy* the time together, to commit those moments to memory.

Famously, my Mom never smiled in photos - she just didn't. But this picture, taken on that trip, in what we now call Mom's "Spot" is my favorite picture of her... ever. She is sitting in the rental wheelchair, laughing, and happy, watching the parade... and just looking at it fills my heart with joy

She really did enjoy herself, and I am glad - to this very day - that we took her for that trip.

This May, we will have been without her for 10 years. That picture is from 2004 - our daughter's 10th birthday, to be exact!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

I know that your Mom may not have the same type of dementia; her symptoms may present differently, and she may even have a different outcome. But if sharing my knowledge helps even one family have a better trip, and make precious memories with a loved one, then it is truly my honor, my joy to do so.

Oh, my heart goes out to you. We lost my dad to dementia in Dec. of 2018, and it is so, so hard to watch a parent go through that.

As far as her being sensitive to the words, DAS is not about diagnosis. They really don't care about diagnosis, so you do not need to use the words "dementia" or Alzheimers, or anything of the sort. Just be ready to explain why it is difficult for her to wait in a typical line.

Above this board, there is a general board for disabilities. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us via PM or by making a new board if you need help, support, or have questions that have nothing to do with Disney. We are here for you and for each other.

*insert whatever virtual form of affirmation you are most comfortable with... high-five, fist bump, hug...*

I went 3x (over 18 months) as a traveling companion to a lady with dementia and her adult son. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it. Miss M was either agitated or "checked out" during the time we were there. The worst was one night wen she woke in the hotel room and was disoriented and panicked. It was a looooong night. She also had incontinency and that was very easily handled in companion restrooms. We used a wc for her and it made life easier. WDW is SO packed with stimulation that it was simply more than she could process. She wanted/needed the touchstone of her things in her house. The first trip wasn't as bad, but over the 18 months her dementia increased and the last 2 trips were very trying and she was in tears a couple of times on the final trip, She was just so disoriented and it was heart wrenching.

@JennyDrake Did Miss M ask for the trip to Disney or did her son think it a good idea?

Excellent question!! The first trip she wanted to go (had never been), the second trip she was so "checked out" that I don't think she knew where she was most of the time, so I seriously doubt she was involved in asking/planning. The third trip she preferred to stay in the hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter