DAS eligibility. Should I even call?

Boomatt

I want to go HOME!!!
Hello all. We have never had to avail ourselves of the DaS or any of its former iterations, but on our upcoming trip next week I would like to consider it for my wife. She has a bunion which she is scheduled for surgery for in the middle of December. She is actually very comfortable when walking and even jogging, but sitting still and, especially, standing around are very uncomfortable to her. The bunion is effecting her nerves all the way up her leg and into her thigh/hip. She says it feels like a stinging burn that builds up over time. Once she starts walking around it begins to subside. She won’t be using any mobility aids as she gets around great, it’s just the stationary time that she has issues. Could any of you with experience with the DAS system provide any insight as to whether this may be something that would qualify for the DAS? I would hate to waste hours on the phone if this is gonna just be a “tough luck” situation.

I find that odd, this seems like a completely reasonable use of DAS. It’s a disability, hopefully temporary, but still a disability.

DAS is not issued for any/all disabilities. It is usually issued only as an accommodation when an individual cannot wait in an attraction queue. DAS is generally not issued when concerns are mobility or stamina related (eg, limited inability to walk, sit, or stand in place).

I find that odd, this seems like a completely reasonable use of DAS. It’s a disability, hopefully temporary, but still a disability.

You can call and ask. I’ve read the occasional post where DAS was granted for something like a child’s recently broken foot. But normally mobility issues are not granted DAS, since most can best be resolved with mobility device.

Not all disabilities are accommodated by DAS, some are accommodated by other means (accessible queue, specific seating, use of assistive technology devices, etc.). DAS is for disabilities that cannot be accommodated in any other manner -- essentially a disability that precludes one from being in a queue at all due to the nature of the queue. WDW considers many needs to be stamina or mobility-related and therefore accommodated by a mobility device.

Your wife is welcome to request DAS, focusing her request on her needs specific to the queue environment rather than the diagnosis; but as PPs mentions, I just suggest having a back-up plan in case her request is denied.

Also, keep in mind that DAS does nothing for places where all guests will be standing still for up to 10 minutes at a time unless they have a mobility device.

This is copied from post 22 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Many attractions involve a preshow or a wait in a 'holding area' for 10-15 minutes or more. Those are often shows that have guests 'collect' in a prehow area while another 'set' of guests is in the show. Once the first guests leave the theater, the doors open for the next set of guests who are waiting in the preshow area.
Having a DAS (Disability Access Service) card will not prevent you from standing in those situations. Most of the areas have a very few or no seats at all and you have to wait in the preshow area to get into the show.
Some examples of places where you would have to stand - DAS or not would be:
Studio
Muppet Vision 3D
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
One Man's Dream (This is a walking tour)
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Rise of the Resistance - there are 3 portions of this attraction. Guests can use their wheelchair/ECV during the shuttle portion. After getting off the shuttle, guests using mobility devices are asked if they can stand for up to 15 minutes for the next portion of the experience. Wheelchairs can be used to the point of boarding If needed, but ECVs are usually left there.

Magic Kingdom
Railroad - there is not a preshow, but the train has to come to the station for you to board it.
Tiki Room
Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Country Bear Jamboree
Mickey's Philharmagic
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
Enchanted Tales With Belle - the first part of the experience is about a 2 minute introduction to the story while standing in Belle's father's workshop. The second part is standing in the wardrobe room for about 5 minutes while roles are assigned for play parts. There is no place to sit for either of these. Guests are seated on backless padded benches for the remainder of the show.

Epcot
Mission Space
Test Track
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Welcome Center preshow room where guests stand for a few minutes waiting to start and then watching the welcome message/preshow
Movie at The Land
Soarin'
American Adventure
Reflections of China (a 14 minute movie that has no seats, just rails to lean against)
O Canada (a 14 minute move that has no seats, just rails to lean against

Animal Kingdom
It's Tough to Be a Bug
Festival of the Lion King (you will need to wait for the next show)
Wildlife Express Train (you may need to wait for the next train - they leave every 5-7 minutes)
Bird Show in Asia (there may not be a place to sit when waiting for the next show)
Finding Nemo (you will be standing during your wait for the next show)
Flight of Passage in Pandora - 2 preshow areas where guests stand (or sit on wheelchair) for background story and instructions. ECVs need to be left before this point, but attraction wheelchair can be borrowed

Having a wheelchair or ECV would give you a place to sit during those kinds of attractions and would also help you cover the distances for a WDW visit. Many people don't think about how much they walk in a day at WDW, but the average is at least 3 miles per day.
Many of the lines are very long distance to walk from the entrance to the actual boarding area. For example, Soarin is about 1/4 mile from the entrance to the line until the boarding area. There is an equal distance from the point you complete your flight until you get back out of the ride.
A DAS would not usually shorten the distance and the DAS is only used in lines and does nothing to help you get from place to place.

I would spend the time waiting for the call to see. Pain issues can be a valid reason for a DAS. However, as said above, there may be other options that would be more effective and helpful for her. I have arthritis in my foot, and while I can walk in my day to day life, I can't walk around a park and have to get an ECV. Disney World walking may be too much for a recent bunion surgery (and trust me- you don't want to make it chronically swollen- that's how I got arthritis after breaking my foot!) Also, like mentioned above, there is a lot of planned standing in collection areas and viewing areas even in the Lightning Lanes. I went to Disneyland a couple months ago, and there were areas where it's easier if you prep for the ride without your ECV and staff asks if you can stand 5 minutes. Thought I could, but then it hurt, so I just had to sit on my "spot" on the ground. There were several times where that was the case. I look really young, so I got a lot of looks, and I just had to deal people's judgments like all people do with unseen disabilities. If your wife is more self conscious and would rather be in serious pain than sit on the ground, definitely get a wheelchair. It's not worth the potential long term damage that could happen after a surgery that is supposed to correct her pain.

A wheelchair she could push and then sit if necessary could be good, especially if needing a change in positions is helpful for her. You could try an EVC that you motor around, but the problem with that in your situation is that it cannot move unless someone is sitting in it, so if your wife needs to stand and walk around, then the ECV is dead weight. Even if you get a DAS, your wife may need a wheelchair for some parts of lines as an alternative to standing, so keep it in the budget. I have been to smaller theme parks where I think I can make it, but then need to get a chair part way through the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter