DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

We arrive May 31. It sounds like we can't even do the 30-day pre-registration? We have to wait until May 20?

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. I hopped on general chat with a CM, explained my trip is May 31 and they said I can still register 30 days in advance of my trip. I also take that with a grain of salt. I guess we'll find out in 10 days or so.
This is what I'm stressing about. We arrive June 9th. That would place my 30 day out interview date as May 9th. Since my trip takes place after May 20th- will this conversation I have with the CM be based on the new criteria? Or since it's taking place on May 9th, will it be based on the prior criteria? So confusing!

People across the internet in chat forums say that the DAS is abused and they have witnessed it. I've wondered how because for the LL, everyone has to show their phone or have their Magic Band scanned. If someone is dumb enough or arrogant enough to brag in line, then it's obvious but otherwise how would someone be able to tell? Of course, when we were in the parks in November, I was there to have fun with our grandchildren and oblivious to who might cheat the system.

Question for some of you (as i've seen this come up a lot in the past few days since the original rumors of the change started circling).

There seem to be a good bit of folks who mention they didn't use DAS before, because Fastpass+ fit their needs with the pre-selections. Should they eliminate the pre-selections from DAS (which it seems to be the case) and install genie+ to a similar form of fastpass+ with the pre-selections. Would you bypass DAS or seeking return to line accommodations that may be implemented with this changes, for the genie+ system if it granted the 3 pre-selects, like you did previously?

This is merely speculation right now because we don't know if return to queue will work like this - but...

If it works like the bathroom pass does (and I suspect it will be exactly the same thing with a different name and perhaps more widely available) - you would walk backwards through the queue to a CM and get a "return to queue" pass which maybe on a lanyard and then when you return, you would go to the Lightning Lane and wait for the rest of your party at the merge point.

I assume your party would also have to wait at the merge point for you if they got there before you arrive.

If you need significantly more time to return to the queue - I don't know how that would work. My guess is the rest of your party would ride and maybe you could enter the Lightning Lane when you're able?

Maybe Disney would suggest Rider Switch in that case? You could still use the Lightning Lane with a shorter wait, but the rest of your party would need to use the standby queue?

If you're solo, then I don't know how this would work either.
Also a problem for couples. I go with my partner but he couldn’t queue and leave me as he is my carer.

This exactly. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place whether or not to cancel my upcoming trip.

I put that squarely on TWDC and WDW shoulders because there isn't good information (IMO) and I don't know if my DD is eligible anymore and if my DD is eligible, will the new accommodations even work because I don't understand the speciifcs of the return to queue and what it entails..
This is the part that gets me. If approved, the pass is good for 120 days, but you still have to call within 30 days for the initial interview. At that point, between the tickets, travel arrangements, and hotel, if you are denied and decide that WDW isn't feasible, you're likely out some money and unable to plan an alternative.

I appreciate that in the coming months, we'll get more info about the other accommodations and can use that to better plan, but right now, this lack of information is an unforced error on Disney's part. It's just adding anxiety to a process that for many, myself included, is already fraught with anxiety.

This is what I'm stressing about. We arrive June 9th. That would place my 30 day out interview date as May 9th. Since my trip takes place after May 20th- will this conversation I have with the CM be based on the new criteria? Or since it's taking place on May 9th, will it be based on the prior criteria? So confusing!
Yes, I assume it would definitely be based on the new criteria based on Disney's language "...for arrivals May 20 and after..." or something to that effect.

Exactly. We have three ( now adult ) kids. They have significant others. If we say "hey, your mom and I are going to go ride XYZ, see you guys later".... kind of misses the point of the family trip.
Lots of times on trips with our adult kids and their partners we will do different ride schedules; for example my wife and I love IASW but some of our kids prefer rides like SM (which my wife refuses to ride). So we will often go to the park together, do our own ride schedules, meet up for shows, lunch and/or dinner, and probably have a better time than if we forced ourselves to all do the exact same rides, all together, on the exact same schedule. And we’ve never thought that this “misses the point” of a family trip.

Question for some of you (as i've seen this come up a lot in the past few days since the original rumors of the change started circling).

There seem to be a good bit of folks who mention they didn't use DAS before, because Fastpass+ fit their needs with the pre-selections. Should they eliminate the pre-selections from DAS (which it seems to be the case) and install genie+ to a similar form of fastpass+ with the pre-selections. Would you bypass DAS or seeking return to line accommodations that may be implemented with this changes, for the genie+ system if it granted the 3 pre-selects, like you did previously?
We didn't use the pre selections in November. Once we got to the park, our grandchildren wanted to do this or that and the pre selected rides did not fit into our schedule. In my case, the pre selections are an option I can live without. Note that I am not speaking for everyone. That had been our first WDW trip in years and I don't think we had ever used FP+ so I can't compare. I did love when FPs could be stacked and used at any time- that seems like a lifetime ago!

This is the part that gets me. If approved, the pass is good for 120 days, but you still have to call within 30 days for the initial interview. At that point, between the tickets, travel arrangements, and hotel, if you are denied and decide that WDW isn't feasible, you're likely out some money and unable to plan an alternative.

I appreciate that in the coming months, we'll get more info about the other accommodations and can use that to better plan, but right now, this lack of information is an unforced error on Disney's part. It's just adding anxiety to a process that for many, myself included, is already fraught with anxiety.

That last part... Disney really didn't think through their verbiage and is causing unnecessary stress to so many.

People across the internet in chat forums say that the DAS is abused and they have witnessed it. I've wondered how because for the LL, everyone has to show their phone or have their Magic Band scanned. If someone is dumb enough or arrogant enough to brag in line, then it's obvious but otherwise how would someone be able to tell? Of course, when we were in the parks in November, I was there to have fun with our grandchildren and oblivious to who might cheat the system.

I think there is some taking advantage as I've seen people pretty much give others the correct prompts to give a cast member to qualify for DAS....I also think there is some assuming going on because a lot of DAS passes are given to neurodivergent people and it's not as easy to identify their disability.

but you still have to call within 30 days for the initial interview. At that point, between the tickets, travel arrangements, and hotel, if you are denied and decide that WDW isn't feasible, you're likely out some money and unable to plan an alternative.

Even worse for international guests who can’t do it until they get there! Imagine flying 9 hours then being denied, your holiday being infeasible and losing every dollar/pound you put in.

Yes, I assume it would definitely be based on the new criteria based on Disney's language "...for arrivals May 20 and after..." or something to that effect.
I really hope not, was hoping for one 'last trip' if this new criteria makes me ineligible. This is where the confusion is getting out of hand. It says it all goes into effect on May 20th but you can apply 30 days in advance. So is it starting April 20th then all conversations had for DAS are now for the new criteria and they are rolling out these new 'health professionals' and so on?

I just got back last week from a week at Disney and the typical DAS was a lifesaver yet again with my oldest son. Looking at the rules I shouldn't have an issue when we return for another week in September, I'm just cautiously awaiting to see how things go and if they will be as stressful as the initial fear mongering is going.

For those of you switching packages to cancel easier, how does that work? Right now we have a ticket and hotel package and you have to cancel 30 days prior. If I take off the tickets and make it room only, I can cancel 5 days before check in date, is that right?

We were going to do a quick WDW jaunt after our cruise but if we're denied for DAS, might as well just go to Universal Orlando instead.

Its a good question - essentially a paid Fastpass+. I assume though rides like Rise of the Resistance would still not be included and require an extra charge. The one hour return time would also likely present a problem for some I imagine.

On a similar note, I was thinking last night I wonder if Disney decided to keep the same qualifications they previously had for DAS, eliminate the DAS Advance Selections, implement the 10 minute rule but also charge for DAS (roughly the same price they would charge for Genie+) - would you be willing to pay?

Ignoring for a second any thoughts on ADA and whether or not they legally could charge for it (since this is hypothetical anyway) and multiple people have mentioned that Disney charges to rent an ECVs or wheelchair.

Charging for DAS would certainly stop the abusers since if they were paying, they'd be paying the same as Genie+ anyway. If they did charge for it, my only wish would be is that they did not have the blue light come on when you first scan in, treat it just like any other Lightning Lane access. You could still require the DAS holder to be the first to scan.

I think I'd be more willing to pay for DAS then to pay for Genie+ with pre-selections.

A bit of an aside, but I wonder if Disney has considered whether the increase in DAS usage corresponds to the end of Fastpass? It's entirely possible that some folks who needed an accommodation were able to make things work with Fastpass.

Just from what I've seen, there were a lot of people who were able to do the park without DAS by using the 3 free pre scheduled Fastpasses. My daughter did have DAS (and GAC) before it, but we used it sparingly, using Fastpass as much as we could.
There have definitely been changes over the last few years that have forced more people to ask for accommodations ... lack of free fast passes, longer lines from bigger crowds, fewer shows to offer seated/possibly cooler attractions, shorter early entry times (only 30 minutes now), harder to book dining reservations, lack of late night hours at parks, etc. (The changes have probably encouraged more people to try to cheat the system too.)

We never used GAC/DAS for my son with CF because we could make it work with the 3 FPs, breaks in first aid centers when needed, shows to break up the day, and heavy use of EE and EMH. If he were still a child, we would have to request a DAS for him now.

I do have some sympathy for Disney. There has been an explosion of of disorders (in type as well as overall numbers) and they require multifaceted accommodations. I don't expect an entertainment company to become well-versed in all of them and their accommodation requirements. It's no surprise to me that they are forced to outsource evaluations.

OTOH, I'd need to know what accommodations were available to us very early in the planning process. I couldn't wait until 30-60 days out to know because if they weren't accommodating enough it would be too late to cancel flights, etc. (I find it almost funny that Disney gives a card good for 120 days when it can take at least 6 months for most families, with or without DAS issues, to plan a disney vacation, and more if you need to go during school breaks. Disney knows this since they created this beast.:sad2:)

Honestly, I wish there was a centralized system for healthcare accommodations. I've had to jump through so many hoops over the years for my son ... it would have been so much easier to qualify *once* through a centralized agency instead of going through countless different procedures with schools, sports, clubs, travel, etc. I hope this recognition that private companies can't handle the issue anymore is a step in that direction.

eta: I like the idea of a paid DAS that was the same price as Genie+. Then there's very little benefit to getting a DAS for people who don't need the accommodations. I have no problem with paying for the same type of access as Genie+ on the days we would need it, especially if it listed our needs when we tapped into the ride. I bet the CMs would prefer that too.

Last edited:
I have seen a variety of percentages thrown out on DAS usage (ranging from 40 – 80%).

Let’s make up some numbers.

1 DAS user + 5 guests = 6 people
Family of 4 using G+ = 4 people
1 Rider Swap = 2 people
1 Disney issued LL (due to ride being down, etc) = 4 people
1 DAS user + 3 guest = 4 people

So the numbers could be:

2 out of the 5 groups used DAS = 40% DAS

10 out of the 20 people went through on DAS = 50% DAS

2 out of the 20 people actual DAS holders = 10% DAS

Relying on ride CMs for an accurate estimate of how many people are going through the line on DAS seems skeptical at best. Which method above is being used? If you looked at just the first two groups, 6 out of the 10 went through on DAS in that small sample, that gets you to 60% DAS. Without more information % DAS usage does not mean much to me.

I think the bigger issues are Disney has:

-reduced capacity (length of park hours, number of attractions/parades/diversions, etc)

-replaced a product that some were able to make work for them (Fastpass+) and replaced it with a very different product (Genie+) that does not function the same way. Many are not able to make G+ work for them. Factor in that you pay for the lesser experience of G+ and yeah, you probably have additional people requesting DAS. Does not mean any of those people are abusing the system.

I am not saying changes do not need to be made. A LL/DAS line that is 30 minutes is not good for anyone. I think changes could be made without changing who qualifies. Get rid of the pre-booked passes. Add a leave the line pass for anyone who needs it and thinks that will work for them. If that does not work for someone, still allow them DAS. I think 1 DAS holder + 5 guests is reasonable but reducing that could help. It is not hard to get to six people. 1 couple, their 2 kids and 1 set of grandparents.

I am sure people abuse the DAS system. I have not seen anything concrete that says DAS abuse is the main problem. Maybe they need to change the G+ system. Maybe they need to keep the parks open longer. Maybe they need a few more things to divert crowds. Hopefully Tiana’s opening back up in MK will help there a little bit.

It would be nice if they released what other accommodations they will offer people with non developmental disabilities if they really plan to exclude them from DAS.
Eliminating the preselects alone should be a noticeable change. While i generally did not use them all, I was still getting an extra ll a day over everyone else.
This is merely speculation right now because we don't know if return to queue will work like this - but...

If it works like the bathroom pass does (and I suspect it will be exactly the same thing with a different name and perhaps more widely available) - you would walk backwards through the queue to a CM and get a "return to queue" pass which maybe on a lanyard and then when you return, you would go to the Lightning Lane and wait for the rest of your party at the merge point.

I assume your party would also have to wait at the merge point for you if they got there before you arrive.

If you need significantly more time to return to the queue - I don't know how that would work. My guess is the rest of your party would ride and maybe you could enter the Lightning Lane when you're able?

Maybe Disney would suggest Rider Switch in that case? You could still use the Lightning Lane with a shorter wait, but the rest of your party would need to use the standby queue?

If you're solo, then I don't know how this would work either.
this also wouldn’t work if any sort of mobility device (scooter, wheelchair, rollator, stroller as a wheelchair) is in play. There’s barely enough room in lines. There’s not enough to have 1-2 devices and their party members waiting for 10 minutes for someone to rejoin them. And definitely not enough room for 2 to pass each other.

For those of you switching packages to cancel easier, how does that work? Right now we have a ticket and hotel package and you have to cancel 30 days prior. If I take off the tickets and make it room only, I can cancel 5 days before check in date, is that right?

We were going to do a quick WDW jaunt after our cruise but if we're denied for DAS, might as well just go to Universal Orlando instead.
That's right. But won't you need tickets for the DAS interview? You needed them before but who knows now.

I think the MDE chat is just bots at this point. I received inaccurate/outdated info regarding DAS and was basically told to attempt a video chat 30 days prior to my trip and to have a magical day. 😬

I’m going to try to think positively and not stress until the 30 day mark and hope it works out. If not, I’ll take this last trip and spend time with my son in the resort and restaurants and it will be the last for a long while.

Attachments

• IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7592.jpeg
    IMG_7592.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7593.jpeg
    IMG_7593.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7597.jpeg
    IMG_7597.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 18
Its a good question - essentially a paid Fastpass+. I assume though rides like Rise of the Resistance would still not be included and require an extra charge. The one hour return time would also likely present a problem for some I imagine.

On a similar note, I was thinking last night I wonder if Disney decided to keep the same qualifications they previously had for DAS, eliminate the DAS Advance Selections, implement the 10 minute rule but also charge for DAS (roughly the same price they would charge for Genie+) - would you be willing to pay?

Ignoring for a second any thoughts on ADA and whether or not they legally could charge for it (since this is hypothetical anyway) and multiple people have mentioned that Disney charges to rent an ECVs or wheelchair.

Charging for DAS would certainly stop the abusers since if they were paying, they'd be paying the same as Genie+ anyway. If they did charge for it, my only wish would be is that they did not have the blue light come on when you first scan in, treat it just like any other Lightning Lane access. You could still require the DAS holder to be the first to scan.

I think I'd be more willing to pay for DAS then to pay for Genie+ with pre-selections.
I would pay for it - assuming it is the same service it is now (with unlimited ride availability). It’s a service my children need, and the way genie + is set up would not work for them.

I don’t think we should pay for it, but if push came to shove and that was the only option, it would be better for us to have this than not have this

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter