DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

The change from GAC to DAS was therefore that waiting and a virtual queuing element was introduced.
GAC had various stamps for different needs. There were stamps for visual disabilities, avoiding stairs, alternate entrance, etc. The “immediate access” started to be abused/overused — given out on demands of guests who refused any other accommodations.

DAS started and made everyone get a return time. Folks needing certain seating due to vision challenges, or to avoid stairs no longer qualified under DAS. Those needs are still accommodated, just not by DAS. For several years DAS was rarely granted for “bathroom needs” until the past few years many more posters have reported getting approved DAS for that need.

It was before my WDW days when GAC was around so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems it used to give instant access to the attractions via the exit. The change from GAC to DAS was therefore that waiting and a virtual queuing element was introduced.

I’d say that the change from DAS to an alternate accommodation like return to queue is more significant. DAS and GAC both avoided the need to be in the main queue. From what has been announced so far, the new accommodations will not. That’s the huge factor for many of us on here - it isn’t getting used to change, it’s that if the change is as Disney have announced so far, some of us will not be able to attend anymore.

Hopefully Disney will adjust based on guest feedback. I think the best bet is to try to see what others experience on 4/20 when they try to register for 5/20 and see if they will really limit DAS to only those with developmental disabilities or if they will focus on the need and just try to really identify who absolutely needs DAS versus who might qualify for a different accommodation.

It is also why I do encourage everyone with a concern to email both guest.services@disneyworld.com and disability.services@disneyparks.com - with enough customer feedback, its feasible Disney may tweak the wording (to include more than just developmental disabilities for DAS for example) or even change what they offer.

We still don't really know any details on the alternative accommodations, I'm not confident based on what I've seen with the bathroom pass that "return to queue" would work, but maybe Disney will have some ingenious way to make it work.

For those that don't know, the Bathroom pass was introduced when Galaxy's Edge opened in 2019 in Disneyland. It allows for a guest to leave the line, head to the restroom and re-enter through the Lightning Lane (back then it was called the FastPass line) to wait for the rest of their party at the merge point. When you leave the line, you're given a lanyard with a Queue Re-entry pass attached. I don't know what happens if you're solo.

More details here: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass

I realize based on reading a lot of this thread that the above "bathroom pass" will not work for a lot of folks and I'm not trying to suggest that it will.

Its possible Disney will have tweaked this accommodation with the "Return to Queue", but personally I'm not confident it will be any different, it is just an existing option that Disney is going to try to promote instead of DAS to guests with a new name.

A real issue with a conversation only 30 days in advance doesn't provide much opportunity for significant course corrections, the development of alternative travel plans. or outright cancellation without penalty because the accommodation(s) offered do not meet the needs of the individual (stepping aside from whether the accommodation is preferred by the individual).

This exactly. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place whether or not to cancel my upcoming trip.

I put that squarely on TWDC and WDW shoulders because there isn't good information (IMO) and I don't know if my DD is eligible anymore and if my DD is eligible, will the new accommodations even work because I don't understand the speciifcs of the return to queue and what it entails..

open longer. Maybe they need a few more things to divert crowds. Hopefully Tiana’s opening back up in MK will help there a little bit.

It would be nice if they released what other accommodations they will offer people with non developmental disabilities if they really plan to exclude them from DAS.

Some interesting points I think in that reply.

They’ve seemed to confirm the CM video calls will take place for all accommodations, not just DAS. Website suggests these are only for applying for DAS but that’s not going to be the case if that reply is accurate.

They say how some guests who were enrolled in DAS will now be offered alternatives but the conversation will be individual and matched to users’ needs. I think for some needs, Disney will struggle to justify how return to line is appropriate.

Still need more information but the reply reads to me that DAS is intended for developmental disabilities, but everyone can still have the call and accommodations will be individual and based on needs. If the only reasonable accommodation is DAS, I think it will be offered despite the condition potentially not being developmental.
Your last paragraph, is honestly how it should be. The disability community for decades has fought this battle that even within disability categories that are the same, that accommodations need to be different for each person to use and customized to that persons true needs. Disney has essentially said, we are going to try and do this, and all I have read is, no we should all get the same DAS access.

some of us will not be able to attend anymore.
I just want to touch on this because I hate the idea that people would just stop going to WDW entirely :(

It's very much a personal decision if one opts to no longer go and heartbreaking as well IMO but these changes, however they end up being implemented in the end, does not mean a guest is now unable to go to WDW.

That is not about saying you would be enjoying Disney the way you used to, and I know that is more what has people feeling quite uneasy, so I want to make that clear. But I think separating out someone's personal decision to stop going to WDW should be done in lieu of a blanket statement that this changes means some won't be able to attend the Parks.

IMO, part of the issue with DAS is the fact you can do it through the app. I’ve used the DAS equivalent at all major theme parks in Florida and they all use paper passes. The paper pass is most equivalent to a regular theme park goer’s experience in that you have to physically walk to the ride location to get a return time. There is no checking the wait times and quickly booking a ride when the wait time is low or booking the next ride while in your current line.

If we want to grab a return time for Hagrids, but have a dinner reservation in the next 10 mins at City Walk, there’s not enough time to walk all the way over to get it. If my party wants to ride Velocicoaster and Hagrids, then we are only going to be able to go on about 4-5 total rides that day.

In my case, I’m autistic and cannot handle being in the loud queues even with noise protection for extended periods of time. This does not usually affect my ability to stay in the parks for the whole day though. I’ve found that I can ride significantly more rides at Disney using their app and it does feel like an unfair advantage. I would prefer there be some other DAS level akin to what I experience at theme parks with paper passes.

TLDR: Not everyone needs an accommodation to speed run Disney, but a lot of people need more than a return to line system.
For those that experience outbursts or meltdowns because there are cognitive delays or processing disorders that impact processing time - visiting the attraction but not being able to ride it can trigger the disability response that the DAS is intended to prevent.

Everything at Disney Parks can be booked online. Dining reservations, hotel reservations, tickets, genie+, specialty experiences, mobile ordering for food etc. The same can't necessarily be said at all other theme parks. Seems like it would not provide a similar experience to tell one specific population, no this has to be done on paper even though we've made everything else electronic.

that's me to a T. I'm good for 2-3 hours and perhaps 3-4 rides experiences. I have a physical, not developmental, disability. Always qualified for DAS but never needed it until FP's were removed

Same here, my wife and I were able to plan things out in such a way that it could work for her with FP+. And even trying Genie+ as a solution, money aside, it's not at all an adequate solution. ( i.e. You can barely ride anything that has any waits if the parks are the least bit busy ).

For those that experience outbursts or meltdowns because there are cognitive delays or processing disorders that impact processing time - visiting the attraction but not being able to ride it can trigger the disability response that the DAS is intended to prevent.

Everything at Disney Parks can be booked online. Dining reservations, hotel reservations, tickets, genie+, specialty experiences, mobile ordering for food etc. The same can't necessarily be said at all other theme parks. Seems like it would not provide a similar experience to tell one specific population, no this has to be done on paper even though we've made everything else electronic.

Before you could request a return time through the app, it was possible for 1 member of the party (did not have to be the DAS member) to go to the ride queue and request a return time. Even after it went "online" in the app (no paper was used), it still required you to request the return time in person at the queue (or a blue umbrella). It wasn't until 2021 when Genie+ was introduced that DAS allowed you to request a return time online.

But with the original system, one adult could go, get the return time while everyone else waited somewhere else.

I'm just trying to describe how it used to work, not suggesting that it go back to the paper or in person request version.

I think the 10 minute delay before booking the next experience after scanning in helps to alleviate that problem.

I’m so confused with that copy/paste email response we all got. If my trip is May 23rd, am I able to call 30 days prior or is NO ONE able to have a video call until May 20th?

Attachments

• IMG_7589.jpeg
    IMG_7589.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
One quick comment that I don’t think I have read over the past 60+ pages. W/r/t moving from 6 to 4, no one is saying that you cannot ride as a family. Another option would be to send members 5-100 through the standard line and then have them wait at the queueing area for the DAS cohort to arrive. I have had to do this for unrelated reasons before, and frankly, if so many people do this that it overwhelms CMs then they might give TPTB the feedback that something needs to change. Or ride more than once, and the “extra” family members ride something else in the meantime. Neither option requires buying Genie+ but still reduces the attractiveness of DAS for people who may not NEED it.

If Disney wants to limit the number of people using DAS, they can either do it by cutting down on what qualifies or maintaining eligibility but limiting the number of people in the party. They seem to be doing a bit of both, but I can also see a case where Disney says “no more than 2 adults additional on a DAS” depending on whether these changes help them accomplish their goals.

I sent an email to the Disability.services@disneyparks.com account shortly after my original post in here expressing my concerns. I was very disappointed this morning when I found that not only did they auto reply almost instantly that day, but after 2 days they sent a copy paste reply rather than actually trying to hear people out with their concerns.

Here is that reply:
It’s interesting that they mention “rider switch” as an accommodation now. Not sure if that was specifically mentioned in the initial press release

I do think one of the major issues with cutting accommodations is an issue with Disney as a whole: there is an enormous sense of competition between guests to have the ideal experience (for those looking to ride). I don't get that feeling at other theme parks or in other vacation destinations. The crowd levels, shrinking opening hours, level of research necessary to go on the top rides, all mean guests are fighting for the ideal vacation. Fighting with Disney and fighting with other guests. This isn't to say all guests are mad at each other, it's a (mostly) friendly sort of competition, but when you bring disabilities into play, it feels like we're starting the race a hundred yards back.

Certainly forums like this and the industry of blogging/vlogging that have flourished around Disney increases the feeling of FOMO/competition, but Disney could do a lot to make the park more accessible for those with and without disabilities.

I know they're a business and trying to squeeze every last cent out of guests, but I just wanted to point out something unique to these parks vs others.

You beat me to it.

This is the issue for me. I have lupus, but it has never affected me as far as my Disney vacations are concerned. I’m not the spokesperson for those with lupus. One of my kids is on the spectrum. But he’s never had issues going to the parks or waiting in line. I’m certainly not going to argue that because one of my kids doesn’t need an accommodation, no one else should. I always assumed DAS was granted based not on diagnosis but individual needs on a case-by-case basis. Disney’s verbiage suggests they are no longer doing that, unless you have a specific diagnosis.
Thanks for the concession there, we have a friend with Lupus AND we're pretty sure my wife has it ( if not some other auto-immune disease that manifests as a similar thing ). And from one day to the next we're not sure how it will flare up. There are definitely days where she can do more than others and would be "fine" to do whatever. and other days where her day would be spoiled.

I’m so confused with that copy/paste email response we all got. If my trip is May 23rd, am I able to call 30 days prior or is NO ONE able to have a video call until May 20th?
That's what I'm trying to figure out too. I hopped on general chat with a CM, explained my trip is May 31 and they said I can still register 30 days in advance of my trip. I also take that with a grain of salt. I guess we'll find out in 10 days or so.

I just had a call back from the UK WDW team. The interesting part is that theoretically, I cannot do the video call process over here in advance. I can use a VPN (and have done my past two visits), but Disney cannot endorse that.

She said therefore I’d have to try when I arrive. I stated that I do not want to fly 9 hours and arrive to be turned down and not offered a suitable accommodation.

She understood but stated she could not share the list of conditions eligible for DAS and I’d have to just try the process. A) I don’t think there should be a list of conditions, it should be needs but B) I suspect therefore there are going to be more conditions that they will consider than they are making out right now.

It’s incredibly unfair that as an international guest, I have no way of even finding out if I can still get DAS without using a VPN (is that even allowed under the ToS?)

It also makes me think - are they going to be more lenient when looking at international guests who have already made journeys, have no cancellation rights and are stood there in front of them?

Out of curiosity - has anyone found out what will happen if their trip OVERLAPS with 5/20?

In other words, you arrive on 5/18 for a 7-day trip lets say and you have qualified for DAS with the old system - do you then have to qualify again for DAS with the new system starting on 5/20?

I just realized I have a trip to Disneyland starting on 6/16/24, 2 days before the changes occur at Disneyland. I wonder if that means I'd need to pre-register twice.

My apologies if this has been asked

Do you read this as Inspire Health will be just training CM initially, or they will be contracted indefinitely to be on the calls?

I go back and forth on what I think when I read it.
My interpretation is that Inspire will be training CMs and CMs will be the frontline for fielding video chats and issuing approvals/rejections. If a Guest’s issue is beyond the training a CM received, and/or the Guest or CM wishes to escalate the case, an Inspire employee could be brought it. I feel like this is the equivalent of a customer service rep in retail handling they bulk of everyday customer issues, with a manager stepping in when necessary: it offers some protection from the wolves to the CMs and the ability for Disney to say, “we brought in an outside medical professional to make determinations, don’t blame us.”
We arrive May 31. It sounds like we can't even do the 30-day pre-registration? We have to wait until May 20?
That has to be mis-worded, I’d think - surely you can still call 30 days out. But now that gives me a question…

ALL, any other APers here who’ve done the online chat without a specific trip/day booked in advance? I’ve only ever visited GS in the parks for DAS because I don’t always know what day I might head over there until a day before, sometimes day of. Can you do the virtual chat for a blanket 30 (previously 60, soon to be 120) days without having a park reservation already booked?

I don’t think that requiring documentation is going to solve the abuse problem. Those that want to “cheat” are going to find away around it.

I recently had an experience with 2 people and a German Shepherd in a public waiting room. I was trying to get to a seat and a guy had the dog drinking water from the public water fountain and slobbering all over. I had to risk falling (using crutches from a week old total knee replacement) walking in slobber and water on a tile floor just so I could sit down. I did ask, “Is that slobber?” The guy responded with, “It won’t kill you.” To me, fine give your dog some water, but clean up your mess but I didn’t say it. The guy left and the woman came back with the dog, took a cup and walked over to where I was sitting and said to the dog, “Here, you can slobber all you want.” I totally ignored her. Both of them became very obnoxious with the dog and making sure it slobbered everywhere. A gentleman mentioned something to the woman. She responded with, “He is a service dog!” Now, knowing and having been around real and true service dogs, I asked, “Where is his vest?” “He doesn’t need one!” was her response. She further went on, “But I have papers saying he is a service dog.” Because I had seen the dog with both people, I asked, “Oh! What service does your dog provide?” She responded with, “That is against HIPAA!” I said, “You can tell what service the dog provides without disclosing any PHI and HIPAA doesn’t apply in this situation.” They both continued to be very obnoxious with the dog who was clearly not trained at all. They loudly called me a B over 12 times to each other and to others. The manager of the establishment arrived and come to find out it was an “emotional support” dog but not for a particular person in the party. The manager was nice, looked at their “papers” and basically kicked them out. Later the manager came over and apologized to me and the gentleman sitting there. He commented that the “papers” were definitely “produced.” He knew the woman as she “used to work” for them. It angers me when people game the system to basically get what they want.
But right there shows documentation would work. They had falsified paperwork and the guy kicked them out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter