DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Thank you for this comment. I experienced this twice with my DD at DLR. First, at Soarin' in DCA and a second time at Space Mountain in DL. Both had posted 45 minute or more waits. I told my DD let's DAS the ride and we will sit down and get a water and a snack and wait.

On both occasions we walked by the queue to find a cart or stand, and I asked the CM if the wait was that long because the queue didn't look that long and we had a DAS for later, and on those two occasions the CM at the front said that the wait time was incorrect and that we should just go ahead and use the standby because it would take less than 30 minutes. In fact, it took less than 30 minutes each time, so had I not inquired when we walked by we would've waited longer with the DAS. I just told my kid to cancel the DAS and let's just wait the 30 minutes or less.

Conspiracy theory: Disney purposefully inflates wait times to help sell more Genie+ and to force DAS users to wait longer.

I agree though, often wait times are much shorter than posted. You can look at Touring Plans and see how their expected wait times are often much shorter than the posted wait time.

I know I still prefer to use DAS even if the wait is longer because you don't always know for sure how long the wait in standby is which could result in medical issues.

But honestly, I'm ok with that - I'd rather wait a little longer outside of the queue than find out a posted 55 minute wait time actually is going to take 55 minutes.

But the ADA tempers that with accommodations that significantly impact operations and/or other guests are not required. I do believe the issue Disney is trying to correct is the vast number of people in the LL queue. I don’t have the answer and wish Disney had shared more about how the “leave the line” pass will work. How/where do folks rejoin? Whole party or individual (or individual w/helper)? When? Those all need to be known before one can say “ it doesn’t work.”
Yes, but there’s legal precedent that says DAS is a reasonable accommodation. Disney would have to prove that DAS causes SO much delay for everyone else that it hampers their operations. I’m not sure they can do that.

Then they would also have to show how they are accommodating everyone with qualified disabilities who no longer can access DAS.

I would buy Genie+ if I could not get DAS, but what concerns me is the hour window. Part of what made DAS so usable for me personally was getting a return time and then if I needed more time to get to the ride for reasons related to my disability, it was no problem. If they want me to buy Genie+ instead of DAS, OK, but I don't see how they address the hour window. And if I'm in the LL for a Genie return time and I have to leave it, can I come back even if I've already scanned in? If I miss the return window altogether, can I get another return time for the same ride or am I just out of luck because of the cap on how many times you can use Genie for attractions? So many questions. While I feel marginally better about things today and am hopeful about more info to come, all this uncertainty for my June trip is not a good time.

Yes, but there’s legal precedent that says DAS is a reasonable accommodation. Disney would have to prove that DAS causes SO much delay for everyone else that it hampers their operations. I’m not sure they can do that.
Disney has so many lawyers and analytics — I’m sure they have that already, just as they did when changing from GAC to DAS.

I would buy Genie+ if I could not get DAS, but what concerns me is the hour window. Part of what made DAS so usable for me personally was getting a return time and then if I needed more time to get to the ride for reasons related to my disability, it was no problem. If they want me to buy Genie+ instead of DAS, OK, but I don't see how they address the hour window. And if I'm in the LL for a Genie return time and I have to leave it, can I come back even if I've already scanned in? If I miss the return window altogether, can I get another return time for the same ride or am I just out of luck because of the cap on how many times you can use Genie for attractions? So many questions. While I feel marginally better about things today and am hopeful about more info to come, all this uncertainty for my June trip is not a good time.
Now that they allow modifying lighting lane times it's much better. I used it to walk the time of a haunted mansion return recently from morning to evening so it was around the time of a dining reservation I had in the area.

Nothing can accommodate every disability perfectly or to everyone’s liking. Not everything my DD needs can or is accommodated by Disney. We have to learn to accommodate those things ourselves. Sometimes even that isn’t enough and we have to accept that it isn’t possible. For example, World of Color at Disneyland. If we are close enough for her to “see” it, then she will get “misted” and that will bother her due to sensory issues. We could try to get the dessert party and therefore have a reserve seat without waiting in line to accommodate her need of not waiting too long in line, but then we don’t have an unobstructed view (too much figure ground for her to actually see). It is the same way with the fireworks on Main Street. It just isn’t “reasonable” to expect Disney to accommodate her every need nor is it expected.
Just to be clear up front, I don't expect Disney to accommodate everything.

That said, the lack of accommodations at Disneyland for fireworks, parades, WOC, etc is a choice by Disney, not a lack of ability to provide it. And those accommodations *are* provided for those things at Disney World. So, yes, while we made our own accommodations at DLR this past January, that doesn't change that their refusal to have such accommodations for those experiences is a choice and people are absolutely "allowed" to be frustrated by it.

Did a quick google search for Florida law immediate family and got this result: "the term “immediate family” means a parent, spouse, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, or father-in-law." So those concerned about grandparents may not have to be, guess we'll see. Though my disability may not qualify now anyway sadly.

I don't know if their policy *today* states immediate family, but I do know my wife had to pretty much beg and plead to be allowed to have our 3 adult kids AND their spouses included on our DAS so we could actually ride together. ( 8 instead of 6 ). They DID allow it, but they also made a big deal about it.

N

No, my understanding is the diagnosis alone doesn’t qualify. The individual also must explain their needs just like they do today.

I fully agree that we need more info about the “leave the line” pass or any other accommodations. It’s a poor roll-out with more questions than answer. It very much reminds me of the GAC-to-DAS changeover and how nothing was easily available about how “other” needs would be handled. Folks with needs that had different stamps were voicing many of the same complaints then about not being accommodated. I do expect more info will come.

This blurb on WDW's 'Accessing Attraction Queues' page corroborates your hypothesis. It seems as though Autism/ADHD/etc. won't be guaranteed in any capacity to be eligible for DAS:

Here are a few tips and techniques to manage waiting in queues:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.
  • Bring a sensory toy or a calming item—such as a stress ball, favorite device or activity like a tablet, video game, comic book or another item that may be calming or distracting while waiting in a queue.
  • Grab a snack or drink to enjoy while waiting in a queue. Just be sure to finish it before boarding the attraction.
  • Break up your day with other offerings at the Resort that don’t require waiting in a queue, such as entertainment.
  • Don’t forget other items to keep yourself comfortable.Some items to consider bringing include sweater or jacket, sun protection or hat.

So much for the “Inclusion” key. I suppose those core values/keys only matter if it makes the company money.

I know that TWDC says that inclusion is to involve disabilities, for instance:

“WE WILL NEVER STOP WORKING TO MAKE SURE DISNEY IS A WELCOMING PLACE FOR ALL.”
– JOSH D’AMARO, CHAIRMAN, DISNEY PARKS, EXPERIENCES AND PRODUCTS

And by another example, Disney's webpage says:

"Every day, Disney teams work to enhance experiences in our parks and resorts to reflect our world’s rich diversity, people and cultures. From providing inclusive services and access for guests with disabilities to reimagining attractions in terms of authenticity and relevance, Disney works to ensure everyone can enjoy the magic."

I am a municipal attorney and a large part of my practice is working with folks with mental health issues (i.e. mental illness, developmental disabilities, degenerative brain disorders, alcoholism, drug dependency, other like mental incapacities) and let me share with you that my personal experience is that folks will not extend the same level of patience, tolerance and courtesy to persons with mental health issues than they would to other groups. In my personal experience, my DD has medical issues and my nephew (who is very close to me) is severely autistic (i.e. cannot go to WDW even with DAS) are often alienated and misunderstood by many in their peer groups. It's sad, but in my personal and professional experience, very true.

I think TWDC is saying these inclusive things about disabilities, but in reality, disabled persons are truly some of the most marginalized and stigmatized persons I have ever met. Saying we're inclusive are just words but I'm sure some politically-minded folks are really happy that TWDC has an inclusion key to point to and say that this company cares.

Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations for access to attractions. It's not required to accommodate unreasonable expectations. I don't see why a theme park located in a humid, subtropical climate should provide an environment where guests aren't exposed to heat. Guests voluntarily make the choice to visit a theme park located in Florida. If someone has a condition where they can't be exposed to cold, should they expect a ski resort to accommodate that?

Something I have noticed while reading this thread is that many travel parties have multiple individuals with a condition/disability (e.g. I won't qualify anymore but 2 other people in my travel party will qualify). I think this highlights the issue of how prevalent disabilities/conditions are. What is the answer then? There is no physical/financial way for Disney to provide reduced waits for every single party that identifies as having an issue.

I think the often parroted claim that DAS users are waiting the same amount of time (or more) than non-DAS users needs to be toned down. Non-DAS users are not waiting in line as soon as they enter the park and while walking to the attraction. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while eating or meeting a character. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line for Slinky Dog Dash while they ride Rise of the Resistance. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while they return to the resort for a nap or a swim break. I'm not saying this shouldn't be in place, but I don't think it's honest to say the "waits" are equivalent.

This blurb on WDW's 'Accessing Attraction Queues' page corroborates your hypothesis. It seems as though Autism/ADHD/etc. won't be guaranteed in any capacity to be eligible for DAS:

• Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.
  • Bring a sensory toy or a calming item—such as a stress ball, favorite device or activity like a tablet, video game, comic book or another item that may be calming or distracting while waiting in a queue.
  • Grab a snack or drink to enjoy while waiting in a queue. Just be sure to finish it before boarding the attraction.
  • Break up your day with other offerings at the Resort that don’t require waiting in a queue, such as entertainment.
  • Don’t forget other items to keep yourself comfortable.Some items to consider bringing include sweater or jacket, sun protection or hat.
None of those programs help people with MS-related problems with the heat.

I love this one:
So when CMs ask everyone to move forward and to not leave any space between you and the next guest, how will this work?

I love this one:
So when CMs ask everyone to move forward and to not leave any space between you and the next guest, how will this work?
Also what if you are a solo traveler? Solo travel to Disney parks is not uncommon these days.

I mean, I appreciate this - and.

they're all things we've been doing. And I would imagine most families who actually need DAS already do. They don't negate the need for additional accommodation for many.

I hear folks throwing out alot of talk about ADA in this conversation. I could be wrong(and if you ask my ex wife I often am). But my understanding of current law is the ADA cannot currently be legally enforced for rides. THis means DIsney chooses to offer DAS they do not have to. (and no I am not hating I have a child who has had Das in the past who may or may not get it now). Things like this are not a right Disney is above all a business and businesses do not have to accommodate everything. If they did any fat guy with a malfunctioning thryoid(of which I am) could sue for not being able to fit on a ride. Das is a great thing for those who need it, but it is not a right.

Last edited:
Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations for access to attractions. It's not required to accommodate unreasonable expectations. I don't see why a theme park located in a humid, subtropical climate should provide an environment where guests aren't exposed to heat. Guests voluntarily make the choice to visit a theme park located in Florida. If someone has a condition where they can't be exposed to cold, should they expect a ski resort to accommodate that?

Something I have noticed while reading this thread is that many travel parties have multiple individuals with a condition/disability (e.g. I won't qualify anymore but 2 other people in my travel party will qualify). I think this highlights the issue of how prevalent disabilities/conditions are. What is the answer then? There is no physical/financial way for Disney to provide reduced waits for every single party that identifies as having an issue.

I think the often parroted claim that DAS users are waiting the same amount of time (or more) than non-DAS users needs to be toned down. Non-DAS users are not waiting in line as soon as they enter the park and while walking to the attraction. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while eating or meeting a character. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line for Slinky Dog Dash while they ride Rise of the Resistance. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while they return to the resort for a nap or a swim break. I'm not saying this shouldn't be in place, but I don't think it's honest to say the "waits" are equivalent.

The ADA requires that companies provide accommodations that enable people with disabilities to experience public places—which include theme parks—in the same way as people without disabilities.

That means my husband is legally entitled to experience WDW without getting sick from being in the heat.

If Disney doesn’t want him to access DAS, they could do other things like give him a cooling vest. His workplace did that.

But the answer cannot be to simply provide nothing.

I love this one:
I got a kick out of that one, as well. I'm sure my family has nothing better to do than to circle me like vultures in pre-show rooms and to space themselves out enough to get yelled at by the people behind them in switchbacks/corridors to ensure I don't get bumped too much.

I hear folks throwing out alot of talk about ADA in this conversation. I could be wrong(and if you ask my ex wife I often am). But my understanding of current law is the ADA cannot currently be legally enforced for rides. THis means DIsney chooses to offer DAS they do not have to. (and no I am not hating I have a child who has had Das in the past who may or may not get it now). Things like this are not a right Disney is above all a business and businesses do not have to accommodate everything. If they did any fat guy with malfunctioning thryoid(of which I am) could sue for not being able to fit on a ride.
That’s not true. ADA applies to theme parks.

The issue of fitting on a ride is different because accommodating someone like that compromises the safe operation of the ride.

Disney is legally required to do what is necessary to ensure disabled guests can access the rides with the same experience as everyone else, so long as that accommodation doesn’t compromise the operation of the ride or the theme park itself.

That’s why they have to put ramps into the ride building. They have to help people on scooters get onto the ride. And similarly, they have to make sure people don’t get sick during the wait time. It’s all the same legal requirement.

This blurb irritates me. They act like people who've dealt with these issues all their lives haven't tried these things. Also, it's very hard to create space when CMs are telling everyone to scoot in and take up all available space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter