DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

This is upsetting. My disability seems to no longer qualify and the rejoining the line thing wouldn't solve my issue either. I can buy Genie, sure, but with only an hour window this presents problems for me too. I'll wait to see what other info comes, but this is really disappointing. Disney was one of the only places I could go to really enjoy myself despite my challenges.

Why is that going to be a problem? I think it will cut down on line cutting as you shouldn't have to let anyone pass you unless they were already in line ahead of you, and got a pass from a cast member.
How about those that use mobility scooters that have this issue? There is no way to quickly get out of most of the queues with a mobility scooter.

Agree something needs done to cut down on people faking it but also really disappointing for those of us with physical conditions who genuinely need it. Glad I’ve got my DL trip booked for late this month, looks like I won’t be back for a while.

(And on a related note it’s incredibly depressing seeing how people are reacting on others sites and those of us with genuine concerns are being piled on.)

This is upsetting. My disability seems to no longer qualify and the rejoining the line thing wouldn't solve my issue either. I can buy Genie, sure, but with only an hour window this presents problems for me too. I'll wait to see what other info comes, but this is really disappointing. Disney was one of the only places I could go to really enjoy myself despite my challenges.
Perhaps a solution would be for Disney to offer a pass that extends the Genie+ return window in this case. If in California, try Knott's Berry Farm though, while the process to get a boarding pass can be a long line, they actually handle things fairly well at most attractions.

Actually, this system is poorly done and there are lawsuits against parks that are doing it, Disney wouldn't want to go down that route until those lawsuits are finished and honestly, they have to do something since they won't do what really needs to be done and bring back all of the entertainment that eats up a lot of the crowds.
IBCCES Accessability Card and this new DAS system work almost identical in nature. The only difference being that Disney Corporate no longer seems to think that certain disabilities qualify. Clearly, they don't spend enough (or any?) time in their own parks and resorts.

When I applied (and was approved) for my IBCCES Accessability Card, I found it to be a healthy, comfortable balance between making sure I actually needed it, and not asking me too many questions about my disability.

How about those that use mobility scooters that have this issue? There is no way to quickly get out of most of the queues with a mobility scooter.
They'll probably just have more of the cast member hallways and emergency exits relabeled. You go though one, find a cast member, get a pass, do your business, return to the cast member, give your pass back, and jump back in line. You still wait your turn, can get out of line if needed, and no one gets cut in the lines

I just sent the following email to both Disneyland and Disney World, we will see what they say when and if they respond:
I saw your proposed updates to the DAS system, but I see no mention of how you intend to handle things that aren't developmental disabilities, but are still major issues. Such as those of us who have panic attacks in crowded queues for various reasons, such as PTSD, neurological disorders (that are not developmental in nature), etc., especially if there are no escape routes.

Additionally, for the return to line pass, how do you propose that someone in a mobility scooter leave the queue when there is no way to exit or turn around in most locations?

Based on what we can read, it appears these items were not properly thought through and need to be addressed. I am not saying they need to be addressed with a DAS, but they do need to be addressed and thought through properly.

I jokingly call Genie+ another type of ADHD Tax for me, but it's kind of gallows humor to cope. I would be absolutely screwed if I wasn't so good at avoiding lines. I have had to leave LL queues that got backed up because panic started setting in being surrounded by people in close quarters, or I get overstimulated and it's just too much for me to handle. It's not something I talk about. But I am squarely someone who would benefit from DAS, but have convinced myself other people need it more than me because I'm a pro at navigating the parks, and I get enough pushback and judgement the rare time I ask for minor accommodations at work. Heck I broke down crying in my manager's office last week over the latter because it was the first time anyone actually believed me. If I had a dime for every time I got "but you look normal". But all of that is why I just never ask for DAS. Even though I had an incident on my last trip and my therapist said I was really in need of accommodations.

That last paragraph is right on, but people don't seem to realize that or care.
I hear you. It actually took an aunt taking me aside during a halloween party and directly telling me "You qualify for DAS, you should go and apply for it as GS." to get me to do it, and even then I had someone with me because I was terrified and worried I wouldn't be believed or be belittled. You do deserve accommodations. They aren't "benefits," they aren't "the easy way," even though I know other people + workplaces like to act like it. Like okay, it would be a benefit for you, person who isn't dealing with all this, but it's just a path forward for some of us. A way to actually be able to navigate something and be close to the same level as others.

I'm so sorry about the incident on your last trip. I really hope for future trips, if you do want to seek accommodations, you feel empowered to do so, in spite of what these changes may bring.

They'll probably just have more of the cast member hallways and emergency exits relabeled. You go though one, find a cast member, get a pass, do your business, return to the cast member, give your pass back, and jump back in line. You still wait your turn, can get out of line if needed, and no one gets cut in the lines
I can think of many queues where there is no such hallway or where such hallways have stairs.

This is a really good point about genie+. I can think of a number of times we've really needed to utilize the open return times of the DAS for disability-related reasons. The genie+ with an hour return window wouldn't work at all in that regard.

The changes to me are a way to sell more Genie+, which gives faster access for all regardless of disability. If genie+ sells out for the day and someone has a disability and they don't offer DAS then that's a different story. It does stink to have to pay for the faster access that used to be free with fast passes.
I agree. The fact that a Disney spokesperson said that DAS usage has increased 3x within the past 5 years says as much.

Why is that going to be a problem? I think it will cut down on line cutting as you shouldn't have to let anyone pass you unless they were already in line ahead of you, and got a pass from a cast member.
Someone who had previously waited outside the line with a DAS who now needs to join the line but now needs to leave the line to use a facility, the lines are tight, how do they "get out". Does the rest of the party stay in line or does the entire party get out? You leave the line and it takes you 15 minutes to get to a facility and back, now where do you join the line? Do you go to LL? Do you go to the back of the line? Does a CM say well you are 15 minute farther down the line, how do they get them back in line?

I get why they are doing this. I am just anticipating a backlash.

How do you envision this to be easy?

Mixed feelings about this for sure. I have had to use das in recent years as my symptoms have worsened and I can’t navigate the parks like I used to be able to with older fast pass versions. Genie plus is very hard for me to use due to restricted times. DAS made that so much easier. But week before Easter, the lightning lanes were so backed up and long. Sometimes we simply couldn’t do them as they were too crowded and long for me. I was watching as people tapped in ahead of me and didn’t see that many that appeared to be DAS but it was hard to tell with so much going on. The parks were just so ridiculously crowded it was much more stressful. Idk if I will qualify now or how. We got the pass 30 days before the March 23 trip and I was thinking it might be good for our May 13 really short trip. (If it was 60 days after first use not 60 days from registration). Now I am thinking they will have it expire after 30 days during this in between period. So I am thinking I will have to do another video call. I will find that out Saturday which is my 30 days before May date. We are going mid December and early March next year (got annual passes). Not really sure how it will go. Maybe it will bake the lightning lanes shorter but will it be to the detriment of people who can’t go anymore or at least can’t ride? Where will I fall? Will find out a bit on Saturday I guess if I can schedule a few pre trip ride times.

IBCCES Accessability Card and this new DAS system work almost identical in nature. The only difference being that Disney Corporate no longer seems to think that certain disabilities qualify. Clearly, they don't spend enough (or any?) time in their own parks and resorts.

When I applied (and was approved) for my IBCCES Accessability Card, I found it to be a healthy, comfortable balance between making sure I actually needed it, and not asking me too many questions about my disability.
The bigger issue with it (and the Disney World version of these changes) is you have to do it in advance, while those of us on here know enough to research and plan ahead, there are MANY, including those with disabilities that don't and will just show up.

Honestly, this makes sense to me. Will it "hurt" a lot of people, yes. But at the end of the day, Disney is a private business and as far as I know, they are allowed to modify the DAS program in a lot of ways.

They will still be giving accommodations to many types of disabilities in various ways.

As far as ADA...I don't think certain things, like anxiety, are considered disabilities, right?
Anxiety and mental health disorders are protected under ADA.

This is very concerning for me, as I would assume that 95% of people that use DAS now don't have a "Developmental" disorder. Now those going through cancer treatments, those with anxiety, those with panic disorders, IBS, all don't qualify.

This is honestly a huge detractor to me, as a passholder & dvc member it makes me reconsider Disney being my go-to destination for vacation. The fact that most of you are thinking of buying Genie+ to manage your disabilities is saddening too. You shouldn't be forking out extra money on your already incredibly expensive vacation just to have a decent time. DAS worked, sure it may have been abused by those who didnt need it but if the trade off is hurting the people the really need it, you leave it in place until you find a suitable alternative. This is not that.

But with this new system, my sons condition doesn’t qualify (it’s a severe breathing problem) so we would have to get out of line, do breathing treatments which can last 20 minutes (but we also have to go to first aid to do them - so that adds on time) so by the time we would re join the line if he has a breathing episode (which being out in the heat and in close proximity/enclosed around others for prolonged periods of time he will have more episodes than usual) we will have to get out of the line more often than not and be out of the line more than we’re actually waiting in line - hence the actual DAS purpose!

Someone who had previously waited outside the line with a DAS who now needs to join the line but now needs to leave the line to use a facility, the lines are tight, how do they "get out". Does the rest of the party stay in line or does the entire party get out? You leave the line and it takes you 15 minutes to get to a facility and back, now where do you join the line? Do you go to LL? Do you go to the back of the line? Does a CM say well you are 15 minute farther down the line, how do they get them back in line?

I get why they are doing this. I am just anticipating a backlash.

How do you envision this to be easy?

Exactly. This is going to be a major issue. They did NOT think this through, at all. They cannot man every Emergency Exit. They would need dozens of CMs assigned to every queue. They simply won't do that. The only way I can see this working is if they have checkpoints for every queue.

The issue is that if you're inbetween checkpoints, you're going to have to fight, claw, elbow, and squeeze through hundreds of Guests. It's going to be a nightmare in the summer months when Guests are stressed, hot, and hostile.

Modern-day Disney doesn't seem to care, though. This is incredibly frustrating.

I just emailed them to ask for clarification and express how unhappy I am about these changes. My son has Crohns disease and I cannot image anyone with Crohns fighting their way backwards through a line to find a cast member to get a pass and then to get to the bathroom. I encourage everyone to email them as well. That's the only way we will see change: disability.services@disneyparks.com

Robert Niles is a reputable Disney reporter and has a good article with Theme Park Insider ..

- Health Alliance is training Disney CM to better handle the process, ask the right questions, understand the information.
- Without third party Disney can not ask for medical history.
- There does not appear to be any paperwork like Universal, that has to be costing Universal plenty.
- NO MORE advance reservation times.
- For regular tickets it expires with tickets, with AP 120 days.
- Limits on number on DAS.
- New return to queue pass - in the past they have tested this, I saw it, for any guest needing to leave for bathroom.

I've seen references that DAS requests have tripled, likely since Genie+ became a thing. No surprise that this is happening. Not looking forward to the process, but I understand just based on observations at the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter