DAS and Inflated Wait Times due to COVID

PurpleKomodo

Mouseketeer
We went to WDW over Christmas Break without our kiddo who has a disability and noticed that wait times were often inflated compared to our actual wait time. We are going again in June and will be utilizing DAS for my youngest who has a neuromuscular disease. Has anyone felt like the inflated wait times had a serious impact on touring with DAS? As in, we could have gotten on an attraction in 30 minutes if we went through the line, but it was posted 60 minutes, so we have to wait 60 minutes since we are using DAS return times? Any helpful tips? This will be our first trip with DAS and everything is still kind of weird. I just want to be prepared for any/all situations. #overthinker.

Also, you need to be prepared to explain why your child’s disability keeps him from waiting in the regular line...they don’t care about a diagnosis, they need to know why your child can’t wait in a regular line.

We were there about a month ago using DAS. If the posted wait time was 30 minutes or less we used the regular line. Usually it kept moving and we were on the attraction within 20 minutes or less, which worked for our son. Anything longer and we got a return time.

When we went in Feb, we noticed the return times were often a lot shorter than the standby line minus 10 minutes. We were wondering why, but this may just be the reason.

Also, anytime you see a blue umbrella, you can ask for a return time there, they were all giving them out and usually by the time you make it to the attraction it was time to ride.

As always though, your mileage may vary. We are also going in June, so we will see how it.works then.

Also, anytime you see a blue umbrella, you can ask for a return time there, they were all giving them out and usually by the time you make it to the attraction it was time to ride.

Looking for help. Can you tell me if the Blue Umbrellas stands still in every park?

There are no blue umbrella stands in AK or MK I think. In Epcot there is one by mission space/test track, and one by the living seas. In Studios, it was by the keystone clothiers, across from the chinese theatre. I think there was also one by tower of terror.

And just to be on the safe side, and since you said you want to be prepared for any situation, do you have a plan/plans in place just in case you aren't able to obtain a DAS? No idea what the issues are, and absolutely none of my business, but having a back up plan in place, just in case, might be prudent.

I was worried about inflated wait times before we went in December. I think we waited longer with the DAS than we would have without it in a couple lines (Everest, Slinky-Dog) but waited less time than we might have in a few other lines (Star Tours, MF:SR, and IASW). So it all worked out. The bigger problem for us was that a handful of rides where we would ordinarily just take the standby line, with distancing the line extended into an inaccessible area so they needed to give us a return time which would have canceled out the existing DAS time I already had. Ah, the joys of having both mobility- and DAS-type needs.

There are no blue umbrella stands in AK or MK I think. In Epcot there is one by mission space/test track, and one by the living seas. In Studios, it was by the keystone clothiers, across from the chinese theatre. I think there was also one by tower of terror.

When we went in December there was always a CM and a blue umbrella tucked into the corner by the restrooms across from Star Tours, right where it turns onto Commissary Lane. That location was really convenient for us, so we got times there a lot!

I was worried about inflated wait times before we went in December. I think we waited longer with the DAS than we would have without it in a couple lines (Everest, Slinky-Dog) but waited less time than we might have in a few other lines (Star Tours, MF:SR, and IASW). So it all worked out. The bigger problem for us was that a handful of rides where we would ordinarily just take the standby line, with distancing the line extended into an inaccessible area so they needed to give us a return time which would have canceled out the existing DAS time I already had. Ah, the joys of having both mobility- and DAS-type needs.

We were given a wheelchair return time for HM in December (due to extended queue access), and it did not cancel out the DAS return we already had set up for another ride.

We were given a wheelchair return time for HM in December (due to extended queue access), and it did not cancel out the DAS return we already had set up for another ride.

You're right, I should have clarified. It depends on whether the other time entered is for a DAS or a wheelchair return time. I had one of each and planned to ride HM in the meantime because the wait time was low, but they said I couldn't wait in the regular line and needed a return time - which was frustrating because looking at the queue I didn't see anywhere I couldn't go easily. BTMRR (what my other return times were for) is easy to see why a wheelchair can't make it through the regular queue, but HM just has cobblestones (like many other places).

We are here now and have used a mix of DAS and regular line. The wait times are not really that over inflated and some waits are actually longer then posted time. It is not an exact science. Sometimes a lot of ppl show up right when you do and other times, no one wants on the ride. I call it a wash and don't worry about 10 minutes here or there. Your return time will be 10 minutes less what the posted time is and you can go in 5 minutes earlier then that so you actually get 15 minutes off of the posted wait time.

You're right, I should have clarified. It depends on whether the other time entered is for a DAS or a wheelchair return time. I had one of each and planned to ride HM in the meantime because the wait time was low, but they said I couldn't wait in the regular line and needed a return time - which was frustrating because looking at the queue I didn't see anywhere I couldn't go easily. BTMRR (what my other return times were for) is easy to see why a wheelchair can't make it through the regular queue, but HM just has cobblestones (like many other places).
For HM, it is because of how they have things configured to go through the stretching room, all mobility devices go through an alternative entrance by the exit from what we were told on our last trip.

For HM, it is because of how they have things configured to go through the stretching room, all mobility devices go through an alternative entrance by the exit from what we were told on our last trip.

Is it because you don't get off where you get on? People would need the wheelchair available at the end, and it would be crazy to have a CM take each wheelchair or ECV through backstage to get it to where it needs to be for the guest to exit, IMO. Imagine the problems if the mobility device wasn't there at the right time? Better to have them there to start with, right?

The bigger problem for us was that a handful of rides where we would ordinarily just take the standby line, with distancing the line extended into an inaccessible area so they needed to give us a return time which would have canceled out the existing DAS time I already had.
Hmmmmmm. I suppose that sometime in the future Disney will make the DAS system smarter so that, if you "do something else" as opposed to "wait somewhere else" then your DAS time will cancel out. This would satisfy some of the complaints that other guests have levied against the DAS. At first they might use Magic Band taps to track your movements, maybe further in the future they might use facial recognition. (!) I do thrust that going into a rest room will never cancel your DAS time.

Is it because you don't get off where you get on? People would need the wheelchair available at the end, and it would be crazy to have a CM take each wheelchair or ECV through backstage to get it to where it needs to be for the guest to exit, IMO. Imagine the problems if the mobility device wasn't there at the right time? Better to have them there to start with, right?
No, during more normal times, they take you through a hallway if you need the device at the exit.

Also formally you can't take an ECV through the queue, you have to transfer to a wheelchair and the ECV parking is in the middle of the current queue. So, I would.imagine there are a variety of reasons, but I think primarily because the hallway that they use is blocked off.

Hmmmmmm. I suppose that sometime in the future Disney will make the DAS system smarter so that, if you "do something else" as opposed to "wait somewhere else" then your DAS time will cancel out. This would satisfy some of the complaints that other guests have levied against the DAS. At first they might use Magic Band taps to track your movements, maybe further in the future they might use facial recognition. (!) I do thrust that going into a rest room will never cancel your DAS time.
Actually, the DAS specifically is setup to allow you to do other things, as on total most people with a DAS do wait longer. But, it balances out since they can do other things like shopping, going on a ride with little to no wait, etc.

They couldn't really do what you suggest, because there wouldn't be enough other places to wait with your concept.

Actually, the DAS specifically is setup to allow you to do other things, as on total most people with a DAS do wait longer. But, it balances out since they can do other things like shopping, going on a ride with little to no wait, etc.

They couldn't really do what you suggest, because there wouldn't be enough other places to wait with your concept.
How exactly does the das make you wait longer? The das time is stand by minus 10 minutes. So, guest A is in stand by for 60 minutes. Guest B with das is using a scheduled fast pass, or getting a snack while waiting their 50 minutes. Both ride after the standby wait time. But, guest B has not spent 60 minutes just waiting on line.
There is simply no way to make the experience the same for all guests, but in no way is the das guest having a longer wait to experience rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter