• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

I am new to the forum and ABD and river cruises . My daughter age 10 and I are booked for the July 21 cruise. Staying extra day in Vienna at end of cruise.was looking for feedback from passengers who very already sailed on the ship and itinerary.

I just booked this cruise a few weeks ago, so I am way behind in planning.

Just a quick question, are transfers included only on the day of embarkation? If so, how are people getting from the airport to your hotel if your arrival is a day or two earlier? Just grab a cab or are people pre-booking drivers?

Just a quick question, are transfers included only on the day of embarkation? If so, how are people getting from the airport to your hotel if your arrival is a day or two earlier? Just grab a cab or are people pre-booking drivers?
I'm assuming you're not doing the pre-day(s) through ABD? Because if you were, the transfers from your hotel to the ship *would* be included. I did it that way, so I haven't researched anything else.

Sayhello

I am new to the forum and ABD and river cruises . My daughter age 10 and I are booked for the July 21 cruise. Staying extra day in Vienna at end of cruise.was looking for feedback from passengers who very already sailed on the ship and itinerary.
This is a new itinerary for this year, and no-one has done this cruise yet. The ship is brand new for this summer, also. The first departure (which is a DVC exclusive) leaves on July 7th. We should start getting reports at that time, as a lot of folks from this board are on that first cruise.

I'll be on the July 21st cruise, also. Are you coming in early to Budapest? A few of us who are coming in the day before the cruise are thinking about setting up to meet for dinner on the 20th. Love to have you join us if you'll be there.

Sayhello

I'm assuming you're not doing the pre-day(s) through ABD? Because if you were, the transfers from your hotel to the ship *would* be included. I did it that way, so I haven't researched anything else.

Sayhello
You should contact your vacationista (or just call DVC...) and they will tell you if you will be picked up by them at the airport and transferred to the hotel. We are coming in a day early as well, and it (the transfer) is included with the trip.

You should contact your vacationista (or just call DVC...) and they will tell you if you will be picked up by them at the airport and transferred to the hotel. We are coming in a day early as well, and it (the transfer) is included with the trip.

That's great! I will call ABD tomorrow!

Thank you bruinspin.

Yes, sayhello, we did not book the pre hotel stay with ABD.

OK, so I was looking at AMAWaterways' website and they say:So it looks like I need to take my European adapters with me. Most ocean cruises I've been on, they've had 110 plugs available... Although I guess I'd need them for Prague anyways. :)

Sayhello
Great info! Thanks for the reminder to pack those puppies! We learned to bring a multiple plug outlet to plug in to one converter so more things (husband's phone AND my camera battery) could be charged at the same time...

That's great! I will call ABD tomorrow!

Thank you bruinspin.

Yes, sayhello, we did not book the pre hotel stay with ABD.
You might have to wait until Tuesday. It's hard to say if they're going to be open on the holiday!

It's so hard to know anymore what ABD will & won't cover as far as transfers, because it's changed a few times. If you booked with ABD, it's definitely covered. If you didn't, they *might* cover you to/from the Marriott, but if you're not staying at the Marriott, you'd most likely, at the least, have to get yourself from the Marriott to your hotel. And you'd probably at the least have to get back to the Marriott to get the transfer to the port. I agree with bruinspin, your best bet is to talk to your Vacationista or Travel Agent, and find out for sure from them.

Sayhello

Wish all of your travels safe and looking forward to reports when you return. Hope you have a great trip Sayhello! I an SO jealous.

Wish all of your travels safe and looking forward to reports when you return. Hope you have a great trip Sayhello! I an SO jealous.
Thanks, carpenta! I don't leave for a couple of weeks yet. :) But soon!

Sayhello

We are currently on a train to Vienna after a complete train debacle out of Paris. Taking a little longer to get to Budapest then originally planned.

This train is crazy because it is filled with people going to a music festival. Tons of beer and liquor, singing. Tried to get my 16 year old to score us some free beer, she refused, darn kid :smooth:.

Can't ever emphasize enough to always arrive a day early!

Thanks, carpenta! I don't leave for a couple of weeks yet. :) But soon!

Sayhello

Great news for you. The Euro is down to 105.00 and hopefully ( for U.S. travel in Europe) it will fall even more. I remember traveling at 144.00 to the dollar. Have you started packing yet?

We are currently on a train to Vienna after a complete train debacle out of Paris. Taking a little longer to get to Budapest then originally planned.

This train is crazy because it is filled with people going to a music festival. Tons of beer and liquor, singing. Tried to get my 16 year old to score us some free beer, she refused, darn kid :smooth:.

Can't ever emphasize enough to always arrive a day early!
Amen!!! You just never know what's going to happen!

What was your "train debacle"? That does NOT sound good!

Great news for you. The Euro is down to 105.00 and hopefully ( for U.S. travel in Europe) it will fall even more. I remember traveling at 144.00 to the dollar. Have you started packing yet?
I actually already have a bunch of Euros left over from 2 years ago, so that won't help much, and pretty much everything else is already paid for through ABD or direct booking. :) But I guess any OYO meals will be cheaper!

I haven't started actually packing yet, because the longer I have to pack, the more I over-pack. But I *am* starting to "stage" stuff (ie, put it aside as something I intend to pack).

Sayhello

Is the first ADB Danube sailing tomorrow 7/7/2016?

We are all waiting excitedly for reports!

Below is a review of the AmaViola I found. It was on a Rhyne cruise, but the description of the AmaViola is wonderful!

AmaViola Review

We had done a couple of ocean cruises years ago, kind of avoided this bit, but had heard good things about the river cruises, and Ama in particular. Ship: This is a new ship in 2016 and the decor is upscale and comfortable. Plenty of upper deck space with comfortable furniture, large inside lounge with plenty of space, and two dining rooms (regular and a small specialty room did you can reserve at no extra charge.

They have two really upscale coffee machines so you could do coffee or tea anytime. Food. The cuisine was way better than I expected it to be For breakfast I can; 'think of anything They do not have ... smoked salmon, omelets, eggs Benedict pancakes, waffles, fruit, cereals, and a cold smoothie did was different everyday. They have one person who only bakes during the night, so all the baked good were tasty and fresh. lunches included a buffet (salads, etc.) as well as a menu to order to entree, soup (the cream soups were divine), etc. dinners were very pleasant with plenty to choose from.

Wine and beer are free with lunch and dinner and generously poured. desserts were great and They always have three flavors of ice cream to choose from as well.The specialty restaurant seats like 26 people, is located at the upper rear of the ship and delivered a great multi-course meal in a very pleasant space. You simply sign up for the night you'd like to go as the desk (no extra charge). There are snacks available anytime plus a tea in the afternoon, late nights snacks about 10:30, etc.

Service: is impeccable from the cabin attendants, to the bar and restaurant staff, and the front desk / bursar. First class personnel with very good fluency in English.Tours: are all included; there are no additional charges and more than one choice each day. On this Rhine cruise, it looks like all the lines go to the same places pretty much.

We loved Strasbourg, Cologne, and Heidelberg. The stops in smaller town were pleasant as well; the guides and coach drivers were all very professional. Cost: Our one-week cruise which about $ 4,000 each ($ 575 / day). The only extras were drinks in the bar, spa, gift shop, and laundry (we did laundry once and it was very reasonable as are the bar prices). This market has skyrocketed so there are many lines to choose from. We would go straight back to Ama if we do another one ... and likely will. If you use a travel agent, try the get prepaid gratuities included so you do not have to foll with than on board. We did travel insurance on our own separately.

Entertainment: was a nice mix of a very good female vocalist one evening, a really good accordion / female vocalist duo (I know that sounds weird but theywere excellent), and a trio Comprised of two violins and a so guitar-- really good. Every night one of the staff Played dance music and a good group of folks would come each night for that. Conclusion: All the river ships are of basically the same size Because of the locks, so have about 150+ passengers and 50 crew.We really liked that it was so easy to meet fellow passengers and the vibe among all of the folks on board (passengers + staff) what most pleasant.

I was a bit Concerned did I'd get bored, but did not what the case at all. There was plenty to choose from each day, or you could do your own thing in the stops, Including stay on the ship for the day. We had a wonderful week and hope do go on another sooner than later

Is the first ADB Danube sailing tomorrow 7/7/2016?

We are all waiting excitedly for reports!

Below is a review of the AmaViola I found. It was on a Rhyne cruise, but the description of the AmaViola is wonderful!
Yep, the DVC exclusive ABD Danube River cruise starts tomorrow, and we have several DISers on that sailing! I, too, am anxiously awaiting their reports (although I don't want to be spoiled, so it's a rough dichotomy).

Thanks for posting the review of the AmaViola! Really looking forward to sailing on her!

Sayhello

Hello fellow member cruisers!!! We just spent the last 5 days in Budapest, and the city is beautiful, friendly and so welcoming!!! We don't want to leave but we can not wait to be on the cruise. See ya all in a few hours!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter