• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dandave's Journal

dandave

The more I travel, the more I appreciate coming ho
My name is Angela, and I'm a carbohydrate addict. I love all the things that make me gain weight. I like pretzels, pasta, bananas, bagels, rice, beans, veges, etc.
My blood sugar has a tendency to nosedive, so I grab some more carbs when that happens. I haven't been getting much excersize, because I just feel crappy. I'm on some anti-depressants for that, and I'm feeling a bit better. My triglycerides are way too high, though, and I'm overweight. Both my grandmothers are/were diabetic, so it's time for me to nip this problem in the bud now.

Last Friday I started Atkins. I'm pretty much surviving on cheese and taco salad. I brown really lean hamburger meat and add garlic, red pepper, and plenty of chili powder. I eat this over a bed of lettuce with melted cheese and jalapeno peppers for supper. I think the hot peppers give me that "rush" that I was getting from carbs. I'm still drinking my coffee, but I use cream instead of milk. I did make myself eat two eggs yesterday, too.

I'm feeling OK, and my Ketostix say my ketone level is "small". I guess that's pretty good, considering today is only Monday. It's better than negative or trace, anyway.
I also bought some multi-vitamins today. I've been walking around more, doing housework, playing putt-putt, and just moving. Sometimes it's too easy to Dis, when I get bored. Sitting in this chair is broadening my mind, but it's broadening my butt, as well. So, I'm cutting down on the computer time.

I go back to the doctor for a check-up in about 6 weeks. I'd love to improve all my numbers, by then. Good luck to me! I know I can do it! :)

Woke up this morning with no headache! Woohoo! I finally am starting to feel better. I have noticed that I don't need nearly as much coffee to get me going in the mornings.
I'm getting really tired in the evenings, and I'm sleeping more soundly. The evening tiredness is a good thing. When I was eating mainly carbs, I was pumped and had difficulty going to sleep.

We're headed to Myrtle Beach to visit family on Wednesday evening. I told my sis yesterday that I'm on the Atkins diet. "That just doesn't sound healthy." "Sounds like a quick fix." "Hmmmm..." "Hmmmmm."
I'm sure my mother is going to try to feed me biscuits and cornbread this weekend. I think I'll take her my book to read. She has high cholesterol, hypoglycemia, overweight, etc.

Give me the strength to get through this fun-filled family weekend. Amen.

The long weekend went well. My family bases the day around what they will be eating for supper. Everything revolves around food.
I went prepared. Before I left, I bought about 20 pounds of baby back ribs. I iced them down, added in some hamburger meat, turkey cutlets, and butter, and went prepared.
We had a huge cookout on Sunday with the ribs. My aunt, my sisters, brother in law, soon to be BIL, nephews, mom, step-dad, dad, etc., all came. This was perfect. We played ball and horseshoes, visited, and just plain had a great time. We sauced up all the ribs except a few for me, which I covered with hot sauce and butter. I was able to resist the potato salad, corn on the cob, brownies, watermelon, texas toast, etc., without feeling deprived. Buffalo style ribs with fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers along with a heavy dose of family was all I craved.

On the trip down, I did break my diet a little. I have a problem with breakfast- I just don't want any. I'm not hungry in the mornings. It was after lunch time when I started to get hungry. We were out in the middle of nowhere, when I felt that I had to eat or be sick. I ended up eating chicken fingers and sweet coleslaw from a gas station Church's Chicken. :rolleyes: I wasn't craving carbs, but it was an eat something now or else kind of moment. I didn't feel guilty, but I was ticked at myself for not finding a healthier choice before I got to the starving point. I need to work on eating regularly, so that I can avoid those moments.
My other "cheat" was planned. My sis boiled a huge pot of peanuts. I love, love, love boiled peanuts. I know they aren't on the plan, but they were a worthwhile cheat. I bagged up a gallon ziplock bag for the drive home. Boiled peanuts are a major memory for me. I enjoyed them and thought about my family. No regrets with the boiled peanuts. :)

I'm back to my regular eating plan at home. We were supposed to close on our new house Friday, but the closing is delayed until next week. They have a few touch-ups to finish. I'm trying not to stress over the whole thing. I have a tendency to crave carbs when I'm stressed.

My family had the same reaction to Atkins. It bothered me at first, but now I feel so good and I 'm losing weight, so it doesn't bother me as much. So I know what you're going through. I'm glad you enjoyed your family time!

Thanks, PAdisMOM! They were better than I had expected, once I got there. Everyone said that they could see where I had already lost some weight. Once they realized that I was able to eat <i>something</i> that they were eating whenever they ate, then they were OK. :)

I'm stressing over the house, and I came <i>this</i> close to eating a piece of carrot cake with real cream cheese frosting last night...:( I resisted, but barely. It was my worst temptation so far, though.
I cut a piece for Daniel, almost cut me a piece, thought about just licking the knife, got embarrassed at myself for wanting to lick a knife, and ate some chicken salad.
Today I found out that it'll be sometime mid-month before we close. They still haven't even papered my bathroom, done the official final survey, etc. I'm so sick of this. I got so angry earlier that I was shaking.
I took the boys to the beach for two hours and got my mind off things. That's the great thing about the beach. You get in the water and start thinking about sharks, crabs, and jellyfish, that everyday stress just melts away. ;) It was beautiful, and we had a great time. I even found ten sand dollars. They were alive though, so I put them back.

I think I've lost 10 pounds, but my scales are funky. I'm going to weigh in on some good scales this weekend, so I can grab that clippie. 10 pounds or no, my clothes are loose, I feel good, and I found the cheekbones I had lost. That's better than carrot cake.

It's official! I've lost 10 pounds. :D
Besides the carrot cake temptation, I was really craving something sweet the other day. Then, I figured out what was happening. Both times I've had that extreme compulsion for sweets, were after I had drank a diet soda. No more diet vanilla cokes!

I swear I almost don't feel like I'm on a diet.
I drank my coffee with heavy whipping cream for breakfast.
Had some macadamia nuts around noon.
Had chicken breast cooked like spicy taco filling with cheese and a little avocado for a late lunch.
Had grilled Black Angus steak and brussels sprouts for supper.
I'm having a few more macadamia nuts for dessert. They're dry roasted with sea salt, and taste almost like a pecan sandie to me.

I got 4 holes in one on the front nine at our putt-putt, last night. :teeth: Losing weight, eating great, and becoming a pro putt-putter...life is good! :D :bounce:

My mother, sister, and nephews will be here tomorrow. I was just home, but they missed me so much they had to come see me, already. Nooo, not really.
OK, they did miss me, but my sis and BIL were supposed to be coming to help us move this weekend. That takes us back to the house issue....#$%%^^%$. Anyway, BIL was replaced by mother, and we're going to spend the weekend at the beach.
I don't mind people I don't know seeing me in a bathing suit, but I'm kind of embarrassed having my family see me in all my overweight glory. It's my sister, in particular, who can grate on my nerves. She's always been tiny, and everyone else is "a cow". She doesn't say it to me, but she'll talk about other people my size to me- ignorant, spiteful, or some of both? That's one of the great mysteries of the universe.
I will put on my bathing suit. I will put it on and dare her to say a word. After all, motels are really expensive here this time of year.

Arrggg, ugggg, argggg. My nephew came down with a virus on the trip down. My sister and son came down with it Sunday evening. I started feeling woozy on Monday, and had it in full force on Tuesday. I feel like I've been beaten up, run over, run over some more, and am in agony.
I was finally able to keep a little food down last night. I'm supposed to be packing for the move, but I feel like I could hardly move myself right now. The timing here could not be worse. Arrgggg.

I went to the doc yesterday for a recheck. The nurse who weighed me actually did a double take at the scales. Then I got an "Oh! Ohhhh! Very good!" from her. :D
The doc was happy, too. My diet didn't come up. I told him that I've been getting out and moving around more, since I'm feeling better. He wants to redo the blood work in a month. If my cholesterol levels are better, then I'll make sure Dr. Atkins gets the credit.

The House: Since we had locked mid-April, we are way outside of that 45 day lock period. So, they recalculated our interest rate. Drum roll please...Our rate was 5.85% and is now 5% flat for a 30 year fixed!!!! Yay! Happy dance! We are set to close on Wednesday. I'll believe it when it happens, but I'm very happy.
We went out to celebrate last night. I did a bad thing, but not an awful thing. I ordered the deep-fried seafood platter. :o BUT...I had a salad instead of fries and mixed, steamed, vegetables instead of sweet coleslaw. This was my first real meal since getting the virus from Hades, and I certainly enjoyed it.
Bad News: DH who has maybe been flat-of-his-back sick three times in the last 12+ years, is now in the bed with the virus. :( This,too, shall pass I know. Heck, with this virus, everything passes...and passes, and passes...:rolleyes:

I don't want to jinx my family by saying so, but I think everyone is finally well around here. Thank goodness!
I've lost four more pounds for a total of 14. :D It has gotten to be second nature to eat this way. I'm rarely even hungry, so I'm able to take the time to think about what I eat instead of just grabbing something. Pretzels used to be one of my favorite "grab it" snacks. Now, I'm able to have them around for the kids without wanting any.

Today is closing day on the house, and I'll be busy moving for a while. I may not get to check in here often, but I'll be thinking about all my fellow Wishers. Good luck to you all! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter