Daisy Leaders Unite! Girl Scouts USA!

That is great to have so many girls interested! Have you spoken to your Service Unit Manager for some suggestions. You may need to have a parent meeting explaining the need for them to volunteer on a regular basis. Keep in mind that Safety Wise requires Daisy troops to have a minimum of two adults for the first 12 girls and 1 additional adult for each additional 6 girls for meetings. With 30 girls you would have to have 4 more adults at each meeting. Trips and camping will need even more adults. I know my council is really strict on this.

There are a lot of ladies here that have a LOT more experience as a Leader than I do. Maybe someone else has some ideas too!

Everything you've said is dead on. There is no way I'd even want to be responsible for a group of 30 girls. I just don't think you'd get much done. She definitely needs more help than one person and usually if the parents know it's either they help out or half the girls will need to find another troop, you can usually find someone(s) who didn't have the time before to suddenly be able to help! My council is very strict with the safety wise, thankfully the parents of my girls are great and I can always find someone to help out when needed. The one time I couldn't I had my aunt help out who is a school teacher.

Everything you've said is dead on. There is no way I'd even want to be responsible for a group of 30 girls. I just don't think you'd get much done. She definitely needs more help than one person and usually if the parents know it's either they help out or half the girls will need to find another troop, you can usually find someone(s) who didn't have the time before to suddenly be able to help! My council is very strict with the safety wise, thankfully the parents of my girls are great and I can always find someone to help out when needed. The one time I couldn't I had my aunt help out who is a school teacher.

Very true! Parents will help! You just need to ask or make it mandatory that parents rotate each meeting so there are alway 2 adults or the meeting is cancelled.

Our Brownie troop will be completing our year next week with a seasonal play. The girls wrote seasonal poems that they will be reading in the play.

Can't wait to see what September brings as Brownies and if anyone wants any cool ideas for bridging Daisies let me know. I've got some great dessert ideas that include a flower pot dessert with a daisy candy lollipop to represent their past as having been daisies and then tons of brownies to represent their future as Brownies.[/QUOTE]

Please share with me some of your ideas....my girls are bridging from dasies to brownies in a couple of weeks. joeandkris @ tds. net (remove spaces)
Thanks!
kris

Can't wait to see what September brings as Brownies and if anyone wants any cool ideas for bridging Daisies let me know. I've got some great dessert ideas that include a flower pot dessert with a daisy candy lollipop to represent their past as having been daisies and then tons of brownies to represent their future as Brownies.

Please share with me some of your ideas....my girls are bridging from dasies to brownies in a couple of weeks. joeandkris @ tds. net (remove spaces)
Thanks!
kris[/QUOTE]
Since my girls are bridging tomorrow I'll take pics of the craft we are doing and the desserts. I got really lucky when I hit AC Moore (it's a craft store), they had nice sized totes in different colors for $1.97 for a 3 pack!!! I couldn't believe the steal. They also had fabric markers for .50 cents to .97 cents each so I grabbed a bunch of those and there should be enough for all the kids coming (not just the girls) to make a tote to take home. My troop did awesome with cookie sales (my daughter sold over 1100 boxes) so thankfully we have a generous bank account right now.
I just found out we no longer have a bridge to use tomorrow :-( so i'm going to have to scramble for something. All of my girls parents agreed to purchase the brownie vest kit (it's $34) and it includes just about everything they need: vest, bridging patch, council patch, wavy flag, troop number, Daisy ending certificate, insignia tab, a fun patch and a carry bag. I thought that was a reasonable price and thankfully all my parents agreed. I went to the store and picked them all up and told my parents that i'd make sure they were all ready to go. I'm a night owl so I didn't mind the ironing (only took about 2 hours for 13 vests). When they girls names are called they will walk across the bridge and take off their Daisy vests and at the end of the bridge put on their Brownie uniform. At that point they will be given their Brownie pin, membership pin, Daisy ending certificate and a small arrangement of of daisy flowers. The kids are very excited to get their new uniforms, they all said it looked more grown up.
Once I have the pics I'll be happy to forward them to you!

I'm putting together DD10's cadette vest - I'm so proud of here! She earned her Bronze Award and her leadership pin. Now I'm trying to learn about the interest projects!!

We're going to work on some of the tryit's this summer! I think the science ones should be interesting! DD10 just finished with her DARE program and I think I'm going to try to get the officer to come into my troop for the safety try-it.

How do you keep all your books & items for meetings together? I can't decide if I just want to use a tote bag or a rolling crate or what.

How do you keep all your books & items for meetings together? I can't decide if I just want to use a tote bag or a rolling crate or what.

I use a box that has files for the girls things and flyers for the parents to pick up. I keep my meeting notes in an accordian file folder in a tote bag along with my Brownie tryit book. The box stays in our locker at our GS House, but the tote bag comes back and forth with me. Another leader brings the binder w/ the girls' records in her tote bag that she brings back and forth.

I keep most of our records computerized on a zip drive so I can pull it up at anytime.

My older daughter just finished her first year of Brownies. She was lucky enough to have an amazing troop with fantastic troop leaders. (They have all been together since they started Daisies in kindergarten.) In fact, they were so ambitious and got so much done, that they received a Troop Terrific Patch, which is a very special honor. :thumbsup2

My younger daughter is entering kindergarten, and I would love for her to have a similar introduction to Girl Scouts. I think I will step up and volunteer to be a Daisy troop leader. I just need to find some intrepid soul to share the load with me! :goodvibes

Found some fun council try-its for the summer!!! A beach awareness through Southern Alabama, a lighthouse and sign language one from central & southern NJ!! DD7 is so excited about doing them! We're hoping to be at the beach all next week so the beach awareness will be great. My friends grandmother uses sign language all the time because her mother was deaf, so I'm hoping she'll teach us some songs. The lighthouse one will encourage us to take a drive around new england - hopefully to Martha's Vineyard and up to Maine to see some haunted lighthouses!!

Hi all..I am new to the whole Daisy/Girl Scout world. My daughter is in Pre-k and we just signed up for a four week daisy session to try it out. So far she really likes it,b ut they dont have any troop leaders for September. So my best friend said she and I should do it. I am a little nervous about this. It is also my understanding that daisys will change next year? Are there no more flower petals?

Hi all..I am new to the whole Daisy/Girl Scout world. My daughter is in Pre-k and we just signed up for a four week daisy session to try it out. So far she really likes it,b ut they dont have any troop leaders for September. So my best friend said she and I should do it. I am a little nervous about this. It is also my understanding that daisys will change next year? Are there no more flower petals?

Yes, the whole program for all levels is changing. The petals will still be the same but they are adding some leafs for the daisy level The biggest changes are in the older levels.

So make sure you wait until the new books come out to buy them

To all you girl scout leaders that may be in need of ideas on how to earn petals, journeys, etc.... Check out makingfriends.com. There are kits with crafts for everything all the way thru cadettes! What a life savior!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter