Daisy Girl Scout Leaders

We voted (eyes shut) for a few details about investiture (what type of food (ie, the potluck theme,) etc.). The girls were absolutely absorbed by the totes. There was some (minor) confusion about which color went where (I had traced around the stencils, but some of them weren't as noticeable). They didn't even hear me talking about what the petals stood for...I know this, because every so often, right after I finished saying this petal stands for XYZ, a girl would look up and ask what the color she was currently using stood for :lmao: The other mom who stayed to help seemed to get frustrated by the questions, but I took their total focus as a sign that the activity was a hit :thumbsup2. The invitations came out cute:

Winter2011166.jpg

The girls were over them as soon as they put them together, though...

Next meeting, I am going to try the secret ballot with pictures to vote on petal earning activities. I was able to work in a little discussion about the ideas I have, and next meeting we will review them before doing the secret ballot. It will also be a longer meeting, because we are going to be making paper tablecloths, banners and paper chains to decorate for investiture, and do a quick practice (the girls want to sing a song, and I want to give them an idea of how the ceremony part is going to go).

I would love to hear more about how the girls can earn their leaves.

Cookies are definitely upon us...we ordered our tablecloth and patches, we have leader training early January and a cookie rally early February, my SU leader keeps sending out emails about this or that related to cookies....I know troops manage to do cookies every year w/o leaders going :dance3:, but I can't help but wonder if I'm ready, lol...fortunately, 2 moms have offered to help; unfortunately, one hasn't registered yet and the other never seems to read any communication from me (or get phone messages) until after deadlines have passed. But the girls are absolutely :banana: about selling cookies, especially since we get to do booths.

I have the Girls Guide to Girl Scouting for Daisies that I am borrowing. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. It gives a lot of information about the petals and leaves, but not a lot about the journeys. Cookies are just around the corner:eek::woohoo: not sure how I feel about that lol.

acomadiaz -

Tell me about your post card exchange. I just started a Daisy troop - first graders- from RI!

You can sign up for it at www.mythinkingday.com. There you can contact other troops and see who is willing to trade with you. We were able to get at least one troop from each state to trade with us.

We would love to trade postcards with you if you're interested.

This week's meeting was a lot of fun...first we voted on petal plans. I used the idea from here to do a true secret ballot and passed out slips of paper w/ pictures for each petal (2 choices per slip). As I handed out each slip, I told the girls about each option and allowed them to ask questions/give their opinions before letting the girls go to the table one at a time to circle their choice and drop it in the hat. While I tallied the votes, the girls had snacks/drinks...luckily, we only had one tie, and the second choice was something we can tie into our traveling girl scouts, so we didn't need a tie breaker, lol...then the girls spent the rest of the making decorations for investiture...we made butcher paper table runners and banners, daisy punch paper chains, and daisy border paper chains...we also made thumbprint thank you cards and I talked to the girls about what the investiture ceremony was going to look like. The girls moved from station to station in pairs (we drew names from Daisy Did/Can Sticks) and they really seemed to love it. Only thing I would change is that I totally forgot to take pictures :(

We have Investiture next, I'm working on the program for that...I want our auditor (she was going to be the treasurer, but I've been doing most of the work on that, so we changed her title to auditor) to report to the parents (or at least pass out a copy of the spreadsheet), I'm thinking of setting up a mini-display w/ pictures (I got some free prints from Wags this weekend) and some samples from my GS showing what the girls have done. The ceremony itself is going to be simple, I will welcome everyone, flag salute, welcome the girls to girl scouting, recite the promise and law, and pin them (still decided upside down or not). Then I'm thinking the girls can work on a craft (bracelets?) while the Cookie mom passes out permission forms and then quickly covers the basics/lets everyong know cookie sales are coming. I will finish by passing out our tentative calendar (based on the girls' choices) and then answering questions. We are doing potluck style, the girls each chose (appetizer, main, etc.) what to bring last time...I hate to throw everything at the parents, but I tried to set up a different parents meeting for early February, and basically got a bunch of "I don't knows", "I work", and "unless its on X day, I can't make its"...

What does everyone do to get ready for cookie season? Our SU is having a rally, but the focus (from what I've seen so far) is really on selling cookie T-shirts (there will be a design booth, etc.) and just sort of a rah-rah for cookies thing...I'm thinking the meeting after Investiture, the girls and I will talk about what they want to do w/ cookie money. But not really sure what else to do? I don't want it to be just business...maybe we can make thank you notes or bundle cards or something? Or play role playing games to practice our sales pitches? Wondering if anyone else has suggestions?

Our Service unit is having a skating party for our Cookie Rally, they hand out the packets and we can get samples of cookies. When I say samples I mean a cookie broken into 4 or more pieces and you can choose 4 pieces lol. I can't go:sad1:

We will be working on our leaves. Each leaves has three steps that need completed to earn the leaf.

Count it up and talk it up are both for cookies.

Count it up they find out about the types of cookies, set up a sales goal and how much they cost.

Talk it up they decide how to use the money, talk about how they will use the money to help others and inspire customers.

Then there are the business leaves Money Counts and Making Choices.

Money counts will allow the girls to understand differnt types of coins, know more about paper money and learn the cost of fun.

Making choices is to find out the differences between needs and wants, try and set a goal to save for what you want and help others with what they need and want.

In the book they give activities that can be done to earn each leaf.

We are also doing our fire fighter visit to earn our last petal and earn the safety award. I have the rest of the year planned. Cookie sales for us start Jan 13, GS 100 celebration is Jan 14.

Our Service unit is having a skating party for our Cookie Rally, they hand out the packets and we can get samples of cookies. When I say samples I mean a cookie broken into 4 or more pieces and you can choose 4 pieces lol. I can't go:sad1:

We will be working on our leaves. Each leaves has three steps that need completed to earn the leaf.

Count it up and talk it up are both for cookies.

Count it up they find out about the types of cookies, set up a sales goal and how much they cost.

Talk it up they decide how to use the money, talk about how they will use the money to help others and inspire customers.

Then there are the business leaves Money Counts and Making Choices.

Money counts will allow the girls to understand differnt types of coins, know more about paper money and learn the cost of fun.

Making choices is to find out the differences between needs and wants, try and set a goal to save for what you want and help others with what they need and want.

In the book they give activities that can be done to earn each leaf.

We are also doing our fire fighter visit to earn our last petal and earn the safety award. I have the rest of the year planned. Cookie sales for us start Jan 13, GS 100 celebration is Jan 14.

thanks for all the steps on the leaves! Somehow I missed that in the cookie book (or is there another book you are referring to?)

Our SU has done NOTHING! We could pay to go to "Cookie College" which sounded really fun. It was a fundraiser activity for a specific troop. But not all our girls could make it and we already bought the leaves.

Thank you so much for sharing about the leaves. And LOL about the samples, we had "snacks" provided at the last SU meeting, and they were 1 stale GS cookie and a Capri Sun...when they said we get to sample cookies at our rally, the thought crossed my mind that they were probably the same stale cookies, lol...but now I have this image of them breaking off these tiny little cookie peices instead :lmao:

When I say samples I mean a cookie broken into 4 or more pieces and you can choose 4 pieces lol.

thanks for all the steps on the leaves! Somehow I missed that in the cookie book (or is there another book you are referring to?)

Our SU has done NOTHING! We could pay to go to "Cookie College" which sounded really fun. It was a fundraiser activity for a specific troop. But not all our girls could make it and we already bought the leaves.

All of the information I am talking about is the new girls scouts guide to girl scouting. I do not think any of it is in the cookie book, not even the cookie pin. I would see if someone in you Service unit has one to look at or at the gs store. They give detailed info on how to earn all of the petals, leaves, and everything else they can earn.

I just got my cookie packet last night and have not really looked at it a lot.
We did get a box of the Savannah Smiles, they look like they are lemon covered in powder sugar. Not to be confused with Savannah, which is what Do si Dos were called when I was a gs lol.

There is a cookie pin that can also be earned. The pin can be earned each year they are in gs and changes color every year. From what I remember from last year, it was some of the same stuff that they have now included in the leaves. This is the link for the cookie activity pin. It says Browines and up, but I know we did it last year in K. And since I was a brownie in 1st..... lol

Hope it is ok to post the link, doesn't look like a link so copy and paste it :confused3

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/pdf/2012_cookie_activity_pin.pdf

You may be able to return the leaves or exchange them for other patches from the GS store, if not all of the girls earn them. I know they have let me exchange patches that I did not need before, if they were still carrying them as they were fun patches. I know they will still carry the leaves since they are new.

All of the information I am talking about is the new girls scouts guide to girl scouting. I do not think any of it is in the cookie book, not even the cookie pin. I would see if someone in you Service unit has one to look at or at the gs store. They give detailed info on how to earn all of the petals, leaves, and everything else they can earn.

I just got my cookie packet last night and have not really looked at it a lot.
We did get a box of the Savannah Smiles, they look like they are lemon covered in powder sugar. Not to be confused with Savannah, which is what Do si Dos were called when I was a gs lol.

There is a cookie pin that can also be earned. The pin can be earned each year they are in gs and changes color every year. From what I remember from last year, it was some of the same stuff that they have now included in the leaves. This is the link for the cookie activity pin. It says Browines and up, but I know we did it last year in K. And since I was a brownie in 1st..... lol

Hope it is ok to post the link, doesn't look like a link so copy and paste it :confused3

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/pdf/2012_cookie_activity_pin.pdf

You may be able to return the leaves or exchange them for other patches from the GS store, if not all of the girls earn them. I know they have let me exchange patches that I did not need before, if they were still carrying them as they were fun patches. I know they will still carry the leaves since they are new.

Thanks! We decided not to do the Girl Guide this year since our SU wasn't getting them in the Fall (in fact they just got some in December but not enough for every troop). So we'll do the Girl Guide next year as Brownies.

Based on your description we already earned one cookie leaf and will earn another at our next meeting. We'll work in the money/business leaves, too.

Thanks!

Thanks! We decided not to do the Girl Guide this year since our SU wasn't getting them in the Fall (in fact they just got some in December but not enough for every troop). So we'll do the Girl Guide next year as Brownies.

Based on your description we already earned one cookie leaf and will earn another at our next meeting. We'll work in the money/business leaves, too.

Thanks!

I haven't read the entire thread.

I'm a new Daisy asst. leader. We don't require the Guide for our girls, but I've found it very helpful in planning and figuring out what patches/awards are earned when.

Our council is still selling them at a discounted rate through next month.

You might take a look at one.

I have been asked to help plan a Father Daughter Dance for our Service Unit. Any ideas?

We are looking for a place. We will have a DJ and a photographer. I'm trying to think of a theme so that we can plan decorations. Does anybody have any other fun ideas for a dance?

Thanks.

Kelly

I have been asked to help plan a Father Daughter Dance for our Service Unit. Any ideas?

We are looking for a place. We will have a DJ and a photographer. I'm trying to think of a theme so that we can plan decorations. Does anybody have any other fun ideas for a dance?

Thanks.

Kelly

Our Service Unit is doing a "Celebrating 100 Years of Girl Scouts Theme". Our Dance is actually called "A Night of Stars". We will be displaying Girl Scout memorabilia from throughout the years as decorations.

Last year, we did "A Night at the Beach" which was a Beach theme. The year before, was "A Night of Dreams" and it was a Disney theme!

Thanks.

Kelly

Our SU has one in 2 weeks. They are doing a Pirate and Princess theme at a local elementary school. They just use stereo system (no DJ) and have a mom volunteer to do photos to save money.

Lots of balloons is always good for the girls. Some just on the ground for the girls to kick around and others on strings w/helium.

Every girl is invited to bring a poster of why they love their Pirate (dad or other adult). Then they put the posters on the walls for the main decorations and at the end of the night, someone collects all the posters and gives them back to troop leaders at the next SU meeting.

Each troop has to supply one volunteer either before/during or after to help out and each troop has to bring water/juice bottles and a snack.

HTH!

We have our father/daughter dance the day after prom. We use the prom decorations, the same DJ and photographer. We leaders/moms serve dinner for them and have a prom court and queen. For the court 1 girl is picked from each level and then all names thrown in the hate for the queen. We also do valet parking. When our dance is done the High Schoolers that decorated for the dance and the dad's help take down decorations.
Most girls come out all dressed fancy and the dads wear dress pants/shirts. All girls get a wrist corsage and the dads a boutonniere.
This year will be our 8th year doing this.

Thanks!

We are not really doing the girls guide this year, but since I had one to look at and it is our second year, I am doing the leaves and doing the safety award with our fire house visit.

I went ahead and got the Browine Guide for next year, before the price goes up in March. There were tons of books at our store.

FYI the leaves are $1.50 each.

Has anyone started selling cookies yet? We started yesterday. I have a girl in my troop that wants to sell 800 to get the ipod shuffle.

Speaking of prizes, I know they are always different. So what are everyones?
1 certificate
30 patch
50 bandana
80 giraffe print travel bag
100 100 patch pin
135 pop art set or $5 cookie dough
160 peace t shirt and giraffe patch or $7 cookie dough and patch
200 stuffed giraffe or $7 cookie dough
250 Fleece blanket w wrap or $10 cookie dough
325 Giraffe print bag and journal or $15 cookie dough
400 beach towel and soccer ball or $15 cookie dough
500 notebook, timer, giraffe neck pillow and bulliten board or $15 cookie dough
650 sleeping bag or $20 cookie dough
800 ipod shuffle or $40 in cookie dough
1000 portable dvd player or $70 cookie dough
1250 ereader or $100 cookie dough
1500 $150 gift card or $150 cookie dough
2000 xbox kinnex or $250 cookie dough
2010 2012 patch

Initial order 160 aluminum water bottle 185 water bottle and popart tote

Our amounts for prizes are different than they were last year. There is also not bonus for all girls selling 200. Last year they got a t shirt. Daisies only get bracelets for doing cookie booths this year.

Our "mascot" is a penguin, instead of a giraffe. We use ABC Bakers instead of Little Brownie Bakers, so that may be a difference. Also, our council sent out forms last summer for everyone to vote on what recognitions they wanted. Our recognitions are cumulative, so if you sell 125 boxes, the girl gets the theme patch, bracelet and her choice of necklace or pewter penguin. Here is what we have:

25 boxes Theme patch
65 boxes Embroidered bracelet
125 boxes Choice of pewter penguin OR penguin necklace
175 boxes Peace Sign tote
200 boxes T-shirt
225 boxes Journal & gel pen set
300 boxes Choice of small plush penguin OR clear tumbler
360 boxes Duffel bag
460 boxes Beach towel
600 boxes $175 Cookie Cash
800 boxes 800+ Achievment Bar Patch and Choice of 1
(1) Sterling silver penguin charm
(2) Hoodie
(3) Time Bangle
1000 boxes Another $175 Cookie Cash and 1000+ Achievement Bar Patch
1500 boxes Pear with necklace
Top Seller iPad/laptop/netbook/or item of equivalent value
Runners Up iPod touch/Wii/Xbox/Nintendo DSi/Gift Card
Top Family, Over 2000 boxes iPod Touch/Wii/Xbox/Nintendo DSi/Gift Card

I told my parents if their daughters sold at least 150 boxes, I would pay for their Girl Scout membership for next year if they chose to be Girl Scouts again. That benefits me because I can get early registrations for next year.

Rae

Why is it that now that cookie season is upon us, suddenly the parents are having trouble responding to emails or volunteering to participate :confused3. I have always felt lucky because I hear others saying they can't get parents involved, but ours have been pretty good about getting back to me and/or helping out when needed; yet, suddenly, I can't get more than 2 out of 9 to email me back about availability for cookie booths in 2 weeks :sad2: Ah, well, I already told everyone they will get out of it what they put into it...those moms who have visions of cookie season paying for everything girl scout related for the next year are going to have a rude awakening after they don't put in any effort and only "sell" 10 boxes to themselves :teacher:. I keep reminding myself that I can only do my part, it is up to them to do the rest...now me and my 6yo are :banana::banana::banana: for our first cookie season...she has big ideas and I plan to cheer her on the whole season :cheer2::thumbsup2.

As far as incentives, we have:
12 boxes: Patch
24 boxes: Fabric Peace Sign
48 boxes: Bandana
84 boxes: Notebook and Pen
100 boxes: Travel case and 100 Pin
125 boxes (6yos goal): Giraffe Plush
150 boxes: Tote
175 boxes: Charm Bracelet
200 boxes: T Shirt
250 boxes: Cookie Reward
300 boxes: Neck Pillow
350 boxes: Cookie Reward
400 boxes: Bedside Organizer
500 boxes: 500 bar
550 boxes: 550 Event (Cruise around the Bay)
650 boxes: Soccer Ball and Water Bottle
700 boxes: Bar
750 boxes: Duffle Bag
850 boxes: Cookie Reward
1000 boxes: Kindle
1200 boxes: Camcorder
1500 boxes: Scooter
2000 boxes: Notebook
3000 boxes: IPad2

All are cumulative.

Also
1 Gift of Caring: Patch
15 Gift of Caring: Charm

I'm glad they went with incentives, because the opt outs don't start until 175 boxes/girl...other than the 12 boxes patch and 100 boxes pin....

I NEED ADVICE, please, before I snap at one of my moms. :headache: I have had a few moments with this mom before, but today I literally felt like growling at her. Might have something to do with the fact that this mom has not responded to one email I have sent in the last month. Or may have something to do with the fact that I feel like we keep having the same interaction once a month or so...she has an older daughter in a different troop than ours. From the beginning, she has asked questions (the tone always seems accusatory to me) such as "we're getting that patch, right?" or "why aren't they working on this patch?". And when she hears about an event through her older daughter's troop, she wants to know immediately whether we are doing it or not and why I haven't shared with the parents yet. :headache: Every. Single. Time.

I have explained that GS is GIRL-led, so the girls really decide which direction we go in and what they want to acheive. I have explained that every troop is different because there are different girls and different leader-styles. I have also explained that doing every single event is just out of the question time and money wise. I have explained that our focus this year (because the GIRLS want it this way) is to earn petals and work on really learning to be GS, so when we bridge up we are ready to be Brownies. Still, it goes on :confused3...today, she approached me at school pick up (where I was talking w/ 2 other scout moms about an event we ARE doing on Saturday) and stated "I know about the XXXX. Why didn't you tell us about it?" First, I just learned about it myself this weekend. Second, the event is right in the middle of cookie season, when we are already booked every 2 weeks (or more) doing booths or taking "trips" (think library, fire dept.) and earning petals. Third, the event is not remotely related to anything the girls have expressed an interest in; and finally, at a time when I'm trying to get everyone on the same page for cookie booths and sales, I just don't feel like taking on any extra events that require more paperwork and scrambling around on my part.

I just barely managed to bite my tongue today and not snap at her, but just barely. Now, I'm not so :mad: about it, I'm actually starting to feel more like I will be :dance3: by the end of the year...I get it-she's excited about patches, events, etc. But the constant comparisons and the way she approaches it is just getting under my skin...anyone ever deal with a mom like this? Any suggestions?

I NEED ADVICE, please, before I snap at one of my moms. :headache: I have had a few moments with this mom before, but today I literally felt like growling at her. Might have something to do with the fact that this mom has not responded to one email I have sent in the last month. Or may have something to do with the fact that I feel like we keep having the same interaction once a month or so...she has an older daughter in a different troop than ours. From the beginning, she has asked questions (the tone always seems accusatory to me) such as "we're getting that patch, right?" or "why aren't they working on this patch?". And when she hears about an event through her older daughter's troop, she wants to know immediately whether we are doing it or not and why I haven't shared with the parents yet. :headache: Every. Single. Time.

I have explained that GS is GIRL-led, so the girls really decide which direction we go in and what they want to acheive. I have explained that every troop is different because there are different girls and different leader-styles. I have also explained that doing every single event is just out of the question time and money wise. I have explained that our focus this year (because the GIRLS want it this way) is to earn petals and work on really learning to be GS, so when we bridge up we are ready to be Brownies. Still, it goes on :confused3...today, she approached me at school pick up (where I was talking w/ 2 other scout moms about an event we ARE doing on Saturday) and stated "I know about the XXXX. Why didn't you tell us about it?" First, I just learned about it myself this weekend. Second, the event is right in the middle of cookie season, when we are already booked every 2 weeks (or more) doing booths or taking "trips" (think library, fire dept.) and earning petals. Third, the event is not remotely related to anything the girls have expressed an interest in; and finally, at a time when I'm trying to get everyone on the same page for cookie booths and sales, I just don't feel like taking on any extra events that require more paperwork and scrambling around on my part.

I just barely managed to bite my tongue today and not snap at her, but just barely. Now, I'm not so :mad: about it, I'm actually starting to feel more like I will be :dance3: by the end of the year...I get it-she's excited about patches, events, etc. But the constant comparisons and the way she approaches it is just getting under my skin...anyone ever deal with a mom like this? Any suggestions?

Sounds like this mom needs to be the communications and travel mom -- sending out information on the various scouting activities and organizing to see who can attend, doing the paperwork so girls can attend etc.

We do extra events where "whoever can make it attends" ... not every girl is interested in a singalong or save the rain forest event, so we have these as optional events and parents must attend with girls (b/c I'm not going to do every single event either, but I agree there are many cool things out there to do).

Just a thought ... somewhat facetious ... somewhat serious.

"Why didn't you tell us about it?"

Aren't all of your council's events posted on their website? If so, tell this mother she can see all of the council events anytime she chooses. You are not responsible for notifying the parents about council events. Also, does your council have a newsletter? Ours has a weekly newsletter that anyone can subscribe to and they will get an email every Thursday telling about all of the upcoming events and any new events posted to the calender. Most of my parents have not bothered to subscribe and that's not my problem. If I am interested in attending an event, then I make a copy of the event information and give to the parents. They are just as capable and have just as much time as I do (probably more) to cruise the events calendar to see what they are interested in. Your mom needs to step up and be responsible for informing herself instead of relying on you to do everything. I have 4 children, a full-time job, I'm my daughter's GS leader, and the cookie chairperson for the troop. I would not allow one of my troop parents to lecture me for not doing enough for the troop and you shouldn't either.

Our council stressed to us that anyone who is a girl scout can attend council events, regardless of whether or not their troop is participating in the event and I have made that VERY clear to my troop parents. In other words, just because your troop isn't participating in event XXX, this mother and her daughters still can. The parent acts as her daughters' chaperone. She does not have to be a registered and approved volunteer to go on a day trip with her daughter(s) - overnights, she would have to be registered and approved, but she could go without the troop. I have one parent whose older daughter is in a different troop and I've told her that her older daughter can join us for any events we do that her older daughter's troop doesn't, so she can get the patch if she wants.

Our troop does not pay for events. Not every girl can or wants to attend every event, so we don't use our troop money for events.

You can tell your parent that anytime she sees an upcoming event she is interested in her daughter attending, she should send you an email regarding the event and she should bring it up (or have her daughter bring it up) at the next meeting and let the girls/parents decide if they want to attend. Put the responsibility back on her. Event decisions are really up to the parents. The girls will always want to do everything, but the parents actually make the decision.

Good luck.

I would tell her that if she doesn't like the way I'm running the troop that maybe she should become a leader and start her own troop.

There's only so much you can do.

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter