Dairy & Soy Free Entree/ Dessert Ideas?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in April and I am nursing a baby with a milk and soy protein allergy. I'm very new to the allergy world but I've read that Disney is typically very able to accommodate allergies. Can anyone describe their dining experiences with milk and soy allergies? Will I be able to find enjoyable things to eat? Any great entrees/ desserts/ restaurant recommendations?

I can’t speak about soy allergy but my DH has a dairy allergy and also can’t have any spice that is hot like black pepper. My DM has a salt intolerance can only have 600 mg a day. Both do great at Disney. We mostly eat at TS. We note this on the ADR so when checking in the host makes mention about an allergy and stamps the ticket going to the table and then the waiter or waitress asks about the concerns and gets a chef who comes and talks to them about what can be made for them. They can even eat at a buffet like Boma. A chef walks them around to show them what they can have and makes things in the back. They barely had dessert were so stuffed from the meals. At Space220 he could have the moon rocks drink and he likes the Dole Whip. Sometimes would get sorbet. We were recently there at Thanksgiving and the experience was just as wonderful as it had been before the pandemic.

My 18 yo son has a dairy allergy. First 2 trips it was dairy, peanut, treenuts and egg whites. Progressed to being able to eat eggs. Last trip, maybe last 2 trips cooked dairy, wooo hoo pizza and burger buns.

First trip he was 22 months, last trip he was 14, next trip august.

Like the above poster, I can’t tell you about soy but I know for dairy there were 2 options for ice cream. I want to say tofutti and Rice dream. When we went to chef mickeys in 2018, he had the best dessert, ice cream, edible sparkles, shots and more Oreos then he could eat! They even packed them up for him to bring back to the room.

I think when he was 9 ish, he was beyond thrilled to order from captain cooks and they made his food separate. I think that is when I learned he could have a pineapple dole whip. The CM brought him a sample to make sure he liked it. Sample, it was huge. Dhe kept asking me what desserts he likes and they would get him a dairy free one. He isn’t a big dessert eater. Ice cream and Oreos. She opened a new package of them and gave him about 10...for free!

Beach club last trip. We got beaches and cream ice cream on our pool day. CM said she felt bad for him because it was so hot and gave him a huge cup of it.

Food wise, never had an issue. Table service/buffets, the chef always came to the table. Sometimes they brought him his own special plate other times they walked us thru the buffet line.

Counter service the same thing, easy, no issues.

I did bring him burger buns from home and would get him his earth balance butter for a few trips. Plus I’d bring stuff To make him RK treats Since besides ice cream and Oreos he likes them too.

Plenty of options! I felt at ease taking him after our first day when he was 22 months.

Unfortunately, the pandemic has brought serious supply issues to Disney restaurants.

I had no problem in the past with my gluten and dairy intolerances. If nothing on the allergy-friendly menu appealed, limited though that was because so many gluten-free dishes contain dairy, on our November trip I sometimes had nothing other than steak or fish with salad.

Chefs, when we were there in November, explained that most menu items were previously prepared and couldn't be modified. They had very few basic, raw ingredients anymore. Instead, chicken was all marinated, fish often was, too.

So, sorry to be the bearer of this news, but you may not get anything very tasty from a chef consultation anymore. They once were wonderful and would often create something special for you. In a weeklong stay, I got dishes modified or created only 3 times, but they were marvelous. And we ate 3 full meals virtually every day there.

I suggest looking over Disney's allergy-friendly menus for some ideas of what may be available. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/?
Click on a given restaurant, then "View Menu" and scroll waaaay down to find Allergy-Friendly dishes. They'll say "For Soy Allergy, etc." in the description if safe for that allergy.

You'll soon notice that things safe for soy often contain dairy, and the reverse. Soy is in so many things!

Quick Service will be more challenging than Table Service, I expect, as nearly all their food is packaged.

Maybe things will be easier when you're there. I sincerely hope so.

Forgot to add to look at the kids menu allergy-friendly dishes, too.

You may need to order from it. I found more things I could eat on those menus than on the adult ones.

They'll give you an adult portion if something there appeals.

Note to CynBeth: Huh. We were there the week before you. Strange how our experiences could be so different, because my DH has a peppers allergy, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter