Daily Room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this I really don't get. So DGD is old enough to drive a car alone on the road, but can't be trusted to put a latch on the door, not open it, and call an adult on the phone in case of the small chance a room check were to happen while she was alone?

This issue is that if you latch the door and go into the shower then the person / people who went for food are standing outside with a tray and coffee and cant' get in because the person is in the shower.

Unlike some others on this board, I don’t travel to WDW several times a year, so my only experience is from my trip two weeks ago. If you use housekeeping Along with the room occupied Sign when you are in the room, you most likely will not be bothered. Of course I am basing this off of my one personal experiences.

I did both first week of April and that was not my experience.

Well I guess we will try the Swan next time we visit, I just don’t feel like dealing with the hassle. Especially in view of the cost of a “Disney” resort, parking fees and now this.

Us too! We are going to Universal and Disney at the end of May. We're staying at Universal and were going to stay at a Disney hotel. We moved over to the Swan because like you said, it doesn't seem worth it anymore. We are now saving $$ and also reducing the stress of worrying about being disturbed by this policy as there seem to be no set rules as to how it is implemented.

I guess it's a win/win situation for us! :thumbsup2

Unlike some others on this board, I don’t travel to WDW several times a year, so my only experience is from my trip two weeks ago. If you use housekeeping Along with the room occupied Sign when you are in the room, you most likely will not be bothered. Of course I am basing this off of my one personal experiences.
Oh, if this were true.

But it isn't. We received our knock before 9am most days. We used the sign only while we were in the room, and we didn't decline housekeeping.

But she never needed a latch before if her parents were coming back, and she was in the shower, etc.

You never felt the need to use the latch in the past. However, it has always been possible someone could knock and/or walk in on her. That might be a new guest who was wrongly assigned your room, or a housekeeping visit and the DND sign fell off, or maintenance coming to check/fix something, or random kids running down the hallways knocking on doors. There are plenty of reports those things happen. I understand some families split up and allow someone to sleep in or take a nap, but in reality there has always been the chance that person would be disturbed when in the room alone. Telling kids to ignore a knock and don’t answer the door was not preventing maintenance or housekeeping from unlocking the door and entering if the latch was not engaged. Families need to work out what is best for them - considering all risks - and adjust plans accordingly; it’s part of traveling as a family.

You never felt the need to use the latch in the past. However, it has always been possible someone could knock and/or walk in on her. That might be a new guest who was wrongly assigned your room, or a housekeeping visit and the DND sign fell off, or maintenance coming to check/fix something, or random kids running down the hallways knocking on doors. There are plenty of reports those things happen. I understand some families split up and allow someone to sleep in or take a nap, but in reality there has always been the chance that person would be disturbed when in the room alone. Telling kids to ignore a knock and don’t answer the door was not preventing maintenance or housekeeping from unlocking the door and entering if the latch was not engaged. Families need to work out what is best for them - considering all risks - and adjust plans accordingly; it’s part of traveling as a family.

This is true. And we will adjust.

Oh, if this were true.

But it isn't. We received our knock before 9am most days. We used the sign only while we were in the room, and we didn't decline housekeeping.
Oh those early knocks!! We generally try to request a late checkout whereever we stay, in WDW or out, just to try to avoid them.

Yes it is definitely true that people have walked into occupied rooms by accident in the past. It seems like it is much more likely to happen now and for the first time not accidental. We are definitely taking our trip there this summer and probably early next summer since we have AP but I think after that a break to go to NYC and DC and Universal. Maybe DL in CA. I know my daughter wants to attend their 50th because she shares the Oct 1 birthday.

Oh those early knocks!! We generally try to request a late checkout whereever we stay, in WDW or out, just to try to avoid them.
Oh, our knocks were every day. Not on check out day.

On check out day, she didn't knock, but instead stood outside of our door for 45 minutes, while we packed up our car. (As I have explained in other posts, yes, she actually stood outside of our door while we walked back and forth to our car. She never left, even after we told her, more than once, that we were going to be an hour.)

Are they telling people at the desk to expect "visitors"??? This is going to drive a lot of people to stay off-site. This is an intrusion and unnecessary. What is the general consensus on what they're looking for? Extra guests? Pets?
I agree suspicious activity would warrant a drop-in, but for the most part, families arriving by DME should not be targeted.

Wow! This post is still going? We will be at WDW in 18 days. I think I know how to solve the random walk in problems. If by chance I am in the room when they knock, I'm going to get undressed really fast and just stand there like a snowman :woohoo:

I know this is a zombie thread, but I was reminded of my recent stay at a non-Disney hotel last month, which included in its guest info materials the following advice:

"Don't answer the door to your guest room without verifying who it is. If the person claims to be an employee, call the front desk and ask if someone from their staff is supposed to have access to your room and for what purpose."

Pretty basic safety instructions..... that Disney now wants their guests to ignore. That is a HUGE difference compared to before this policy. Anyone claiming otherwise is being disingenuous in my opinion.

It is absolutely insane that you should need to purchase extra clothing to protect yourself from Disney prying into your private business in the morning.
Fortunately, given the last eight of so months of reports, there is not one. single. mention. of any CM overriding the security lock (despite all the posts and links describing exactly how to do this.) Zero insanity. Zero need to purchase extra clothing.

Are they telling people at the desk to expect "visitors"???
1) This is going to drive a lot of people to stay off-site.
2) This is an intrusion and unnecessary.
3) What is the general consensus on what they're looking for?
1) Doesn't seem to be, based on a number of threads about no rooms being available.
2) The resort owner apparently believe it is necessary, for whatever reason .
3) Not really any consensus; a variety of thoughts.

Fortunately, given the last eight of so months of reports, there is not one. single. mention. of any CM overriding the security lock (despite all the posts and links describing exactly how to do this.) Zero insanity. Zero need to purchase extra clothing.

I have read many reports of CMs walking in on people who have not let them in. And we have already explained that if the family is not all together, it is not always feasible to put the extra latch on.

1) Doesn't seem to be, based on a number of threads about no rooms being available.
2) The resort owner apparently believe it is necessary, for whatever reason .
3) Not really any consensus; a variety of thoughts.

Where do you read there are no rooms available? I see 32 Disney properties with availability for *tomorrow.* And they have a plethora on Priceline all the time. Not the actions of hotels without beaucoup unoccupied rooms.

That doesn’t stop the disturbance, which for me is a problem. I don’t want to be disturbed while in a hotel room. If people are sleeping, resting, or otherwise do not wish to be interrupted, random knocks are intrusive. A door being opened and stopped suddenly by a latch or anything else is loud. It’s a sleep-killer.

Not to mention, as has been brought up many times and is always ignored, latching or blocking the door will also lock room occupants out if the person left behind is sleeping or showering.

So my problem is that these checks are happening at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter