D23 - international emails no more

Ceilidhscot

Mouseketeer
So just received an email from Disney saying they are no longer going to email International members with the news but we can now check their website every Friday instead.

Not sure how many people it’ll affect but if you haven’t received any emails lately, this could be the reason why...

That's a bonehead move on their part! It doesn't cost them anything or take any time to send an email to any email address anywhere in the world. Put the address in a list one time and it's there forever. Just enter the list name and click enter and the email is gone to whoever is on that list!

Just a guess, but could this be related to privacy laws? The European Union's new privacy laws just went into affect last month. I know that law affects how "cookies" are used. I don't know if email lists are involved.

If this is something that bothers you, I'd suggest contacting Disney and asking why the emails are no longer being sent. Who knows? They might tell you the reason.

So just received an email from Disney saying they are no longer going to email International members with the news but we can now check their website every Friday instead.

Not sure how many people it’ll affect but if you haven’t received any emails lately, this could be the reason why...

Are you able to post the email (hiding any sensitive info)?

Just a guess, but could this be related to privacy laws? The European Union's new privacy laws just went into affect last month. I know that law affects how "cookies" are used. I don't know if email lists are involved.

If this is something that bothers you, I'd suggest contacting Disney and asking why the emails are no longer being sent. Who knows? They might tell you the reason.

It is indeed highly likely that the new GDPR privacy requirement triggered this. We are going to see lots more of this with the implementation of those new rules.

I think that if it was GDPR then all Disney had to do was send an email asking people if they still want to receive corrospondance via email

Ok...hope this works but here’s the email. Doesn’t say anything about GDPR just that international folk won’t receive the email.

Attachments

• 0A98A6E3-C1F3-4B51-AC65-96A6E37D1CE5.png
    0A98A6E3-C1F3-4B51-AC65-96A6E37D1CE5.png
    220 KB · Views: 5
I think that if it was GDPR then all Disney had to do was send an email asking people if they still want to receive corrospondance via email

It's quite a bit more complicated than that.

I imagine part of the problem is that Disney doesn't have processes in place to deal with data in a GDPR compliant manor (eg only holding data while relevant and purge process in place to remove data when appropriate). If someone were to raise a complaint that they believe Disney was not complying the fines could be very significant.

Although it does make you wonder how Disney can then be compliant for all the other reasons they hold data.

Im with the PP's who say its about the new GDPR laws.

I'm sorry but that's bloody lazy on Disneys part. Although the benefits aren't really there for international members, an email is hardly asking for much

Its NOT just to do being lazy

That's a bonehead move on their part! It doesn't cost them anything or take any time to send an email to any email address anywhere in the world. Put the address in a list one time and it's there forever. Just enter the list name and click enter and the email is gone to whoever is on that list!

Under the new European General Data Protection Regulation law which became law on May 25 2018 they are not allowed to do that

GDPR is not just that simple
Email marketing is a legal minefield with the new data privacy laws. You have to document proof that the people on the list specifically opted in to receive marketing communications. For example, if you purchase something and give your email address to the company so that they can email you a receipt, the company can not then automatically add your email address to the marketing lists. Your email address can only be used for communication relating to your purchase. Also if you fill out an inquiry form on a company website asking a question about a product or service, the company can not then automatically add your email to the marketing lists. Your email address can only be used for communication relating to your question. On website enquiry forms there must be a check box for people to opt in, not opt out of email marketing communications. Only people who tick the box can be added to email marketing lists.

Im guessing that Disney were adding people to their email marketing lists without consent or a specific opt in. They probably have no documented proof of how their lists were complied. Also they may not be using GRPR compliant email marketing software. Overall they probably looked at the cost and legal issues of becoming GDPR compliant and decided that the revenue generated from international people did not make it a viable option.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter