D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your research, even up to the last minute! Rules can change, things happen, D23 has to adjust on the fly, etc. -- so be prepared to research, research, research... and then go with the flow! Keep up with these boards to get the latest news. For example, bring snacks (especially if you have any dietary needs), but be prepared for security to make you throw everything away. That happened to a few people last year. D23 said the snacks and water would be allowed. Convention Center security said no way, no how. Go figure -- that's just part of the Expo experience! This year, I hope the rules will be more clear and more consistent -- but, as an Expo survivor, I'm realistic, too. :) (And I have the scars to prove it!)
We've had posters here who did no research, just showed up expecting who knows what, and then posted enraged rants when their expectations didn't happen. You're off to a great start by asking here early and you're getting advice from some of the best, as evidenced above!

We've all seen the hype that people seem to betting on SW:GE opening around 6/21. We've all seen the interview where I get confirms it will be June.

I was browsing Facebook, and an ad comes up for a Disneyland YES program for Girl Scouts. YES is Youth Education Series. It's offered every weekend in June...

Except 6/14-6/16.

It would make sense to not be doing a YES series during the opening of SW:GE...

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but isn't everyone? :)

Thoughts?

The last grad night is June 14th. That might play into it as well?
It looks like that's about the normal time. Last year was 6/9/18, but 2017's was 6/17/18.

I wish I had another idea of things that can be checked to gauge the likelyhood of this... Ha! Novice idea, I know.

“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo
I have been saying Memorial Day weekend as the demand will be unprecedented and that will allow Disney to get more people through the funnel this year and generate buzz. That is IF SWGE is ready and all staff trained by then...

My guess.... Memorial Day weekend will be previews. Opening will be June 21st. After Deluxe are blocked.

I was going to say the same. There will probably be previews if you're willing to pay...let's say $500+, but allowing it to open before deluxe passes are blocked would be a logistic nightmare. It's going to be bad enough without the APs crowding it up, plus they'll make more money if everyone is paying full price for admission.

I'd say that's a pretty good theory. I'm just excited it's not near our April 29th trip. But I am super curious to find out what's still going to be closed then! I would love to be there around opening, just to experience the crazy crowds, but I would hate to pay $130+ a day to do it. :) I'll be excited to watch it all play out from my computer chair (on these boards) and my couch (on Youtube.) :)

The waiting game is driving me nuts. I want to know the opening day, so I know when to avoid that part of the park lol.

I’m also really curious as to how the crowds will be at DCA since deluxe has no block outs over there

I was browsing Facebook, and an ad comes up for a Disneyland YES program for Girl Scouts. YES is Youth Education Series. It's offered every weekend in June...

Except 6/14-6/16.

That is Father's Day weekend, which may be busy in it's own right. Also, something that the Girl Scouts may have wanted to avoid having their members away from their families.

My guess.... Memorial Day weekend will be previews. Opening will be June 21st. After Deluxe are blocked.
You realize of course that Disney set that DAP blockout in June of 2018, right? There is just no way they could have predicted SWGE'a readiness, or lack thereof, that far in advance. So I would not put too much stock in that date. Just sayin'... :scratchin

:wizard:

You realize of course that Disney set that DAP blockout in June of 2018, right? There is just no way they could have predicted SWGE'a readiness, or lack thereof, that far in advance. So I would not put too much stock in that date. Just sayin'... :scratchin

:wizard:
Yup. I think that is the date they are shooting for, if there are delays it can go longer and they can open dates to the DAP. Will be interesting to see how this plays out....

Yup. I think that is the date they are shooting for, if there are delays it can go longer and they can open dates to the DAP. Will be interesting to see how this plays out....

This. I'm not taking a stab on the date. But last year's short-notice unblocking of APs in June had to be a trial run for this year, if needed.

Aloha,

No idea of any specific date opening. However, I think there will be several selected openings/ windows for Distinguished Visitors, ticketed events, Club 33, suits and hopefully cast members, business clients, etc...with the public opening last. I would guess the selected openings would start at least one month prior to the public opening.

I would also expect ABC/ ESPN, all of the Walt Disney Media outlets, to either have specials or shows from SWL prior to the public opening.

Another assumption...SWL will delay the public opening until the new parking deck is operational. I would like to think Disney is smart enough to minimize any negative effects of the public opening of SWL which they can control. I don't think they want to crowd out good publicity of the public opening of SWL with negative news of massive grid lock within 10 miles of DLR affecting I-5 and all the near by roads. People would forever remember the public opening of SWL to the day Anaheim suffered from massive turmoil due to horrendous traffic as a result of poor planning by Disney.

My totally uneducated guess is 6/20 due to the Deluxe APs being blocked out June 20, all of July, and into middle August. They would not be blocked otherwise and they were not blocked all those days Summer 2018. I believe June 20 is the date they are planning on if all goes as planned with construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter