D23 announcements for Disneyland-Magicbands!

Magic band plus has arrived at DisneyWorld! Literally.. no announcement, but they are on sale at DisneyWorld today being reported by bloggers.
Ope- someone already said this lol!!

Do we think disneyland needs major upgrades to make this happen or do we think the infer structure is already there? I want to believe the reason Disney isn't mailing paper tickets or giving AP free cards is because they expect to roll this out soon.

Wait, what??? There is literally zip-o online about this! I'm not even finding any results for blogs when I google iterations of magicband, release, sale, etc etc.

Does anyone have a link on this? Preferable with pics.

I'm wondering if they're actually for sale to the general public or if somehow shops are asking certain guests if they'd like to test them out. I think they did that with G+, people were approached and asked if they wanted to be in a 'test group'.

The promo band images vs these are night and day difference. These just look like a redesigned magic band with a LED in it. :oops:

And they look to me to be 'more bigger' than the 'just a bit' the gal in the video said. 'Beefier' too, but that was to be expected with the new tech in them. Wonder what the battery life will be? I already carry a power pack for my iPhone. Who wants to have to carry another charger, let alone have to stop and charge!

Wish they'd done a side by side comparison.

MB+ info for WDW with a little bit about DLR.

"MagicBand+ will be available at Disneyland Resort later this year. Some of the features will vary between Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. We’ll have more to share on that soon."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-world-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY22Q3wo0505220001H

Hmmm, wonder what those 'differences' will be? I have a feeling that the new bands will be 'WDW-centric' and that the needed upgrades for certain WDW features will not be done at DL. I'm thinking the 'automatic' ride pics for one, possibly 'scanning in' at the turnstiles for another.

Disney Resort hotel guests and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will have the option to purchase at a discounted, pre-arrival price.

Good to see that they're planning on selling them at a discount for pre-booked onsite stays. Since it says 'Disney Resort hotel guests' rather than WDW resort guests I'm hoping that means both DL and WDW.

But I see they only mention WDW APs and not MK holders. What's that all about?

Hmmm, wonder what those 'differences' will be? I have a feeling that the new bands will be 'WDW-centric' and that the needed upgrades for certain WDW features will not be done at DL. I'm thinking the 'automatic' ride pics for one, possibly 'scanning in' at the turnstiles for another.
Probably at first but as DLR moves to do more MB focused things, it will come. They just need install the hardward.

I think one of the big things is the whole "interaction with the 50th anniversary statues" thing - there may not be an analog of that at DLR in the near future. It might also be the differences between if and how MB+ will handle the night shows and/or things like the Galaxy's Edge "game".

WDW also uses MagicBands for resort guest purchases, which might not be something that would be implemented at DLR. (I say that only because of the drastically lower percentage of Disney resort guests at DLR compared to WDW - it might not be cost-effective for them to install the scanners at every register.)

The "automatic pics" thing is a little bit on the low-end of difficulty for them, since all they have to do is install the hardware in one location on the ride - it's not something the guest will ever interact with. It might actually give them a way to drastically expand PhotoPass without spending a lot of money.

(I keep wondering what DLR will do about PhotoPass, and whether they'll retrofit the current boards to handle MBs. It seems like WDW has been adding "automatic" scanners in rides that have manual PhotoPass, which makes me think DLR could do the same without retrofitting the old ones.)

Disney Resort hotel guests and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will have the option to purchase at a discounted, pre-arrival price.

Good to see that they're planning on selling them at a discount for pre-booked onsite stays. Since it says 'Disney Resort hotel guests' rather than WDW resort guests I'm hoping that means both DL and WDW.

But I see they only mention WDW APs and not MK holders. What's that all about?
For me, I suspect that "Disney resort" language is intentionally neutral - I don't think it definitely includes Disneyland. I would bet that they're holding all of the DLR information for a later, larger announcement.

WDW also uses MagicBands for resort guest purchases, which might not be something that would be implemented at DLR. (I say that only because of the drastically lower percentage of Disney resort guests at DLR compared to WDW - it might not be cost-effective for them to install the scanners at every register.)
At WDW when we were at specific places in DTD the band just charged directly to my credit card linked in the app instead of the hotel room. If you are not on site you can still charge things to your mb, you just need to link a CC in the app.

I think it's more the special events or items that are specific to a park where the experience will differ.

At WDW when we were at specific places in DTD the band just charged directly to my credit card linked in the app instead of the hotel room. If you are not on site you can still charge things to your mb, you just need to link a CC in the app.
If I'm not mistaken (unless they've changed something recently) - I think you can only attach a credit card to your MB if you're staying on-site. The last I was aware, it would charge the card directly, but it was technically going through your hotel room reservation.

(To be fair, I haven't stayed on-site in years, so I just assumed the MB payment option was off-limits to me - I haven't tried it again.)

I saw this with that same explanation, but it's admittedly from last year:
https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/add-credit-card-magic-band-447822/

I think it's more the special events or items that are specific to a park where the experience will differ.
This is what I think too, it would be really silly to have two basically identical lands like Galaxy's Edge and then make all the interaction with MB+ just for one for example.

If I'm not mistaken (unless they've changed something recently) - I think you can only attach a credit card to your MB if you're staying on-site. The last I was aware, it would charge the card directly, but it was technically going through your hotel room reservation.

(To be fair, I haven't stayed on-site in years, so I just assumed the MB payment option was off-limits to me - I haven't tried it again.)

I saw this with that same explanation, but it's admittedly from last year:
https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/add-credit-card-magic-band-447822/
It used to be that way. So like planet Hollywood I did on my magic band but it charged my credit card directly and was not part of my room bill. There was a couple other shops in downtown Disney that just charged the credit card directly. And my credit card is linked both on my hotel and inside the app now too. Inside the app was new to me this time. It was not there in 2020 when we went.

** Eta: They even have an option now in the app where you can set your magic band to your NFC inside Android pay. As in I actually had my Disney magic band as an NFC option inside the Android app. It was a little flaky to be honest but for the most part it worked.

It used to be that way. So like planet Hollywood I did on my magic band but it charged my credit card directly and was not part of my room bill. There was a couple other shops in downtown Disney that just charged the credit card directly. And my credit card is linked both on my hotel and inside the app now too. Inside the app was new to me this time. It was not there in 2020 when we went.

** Eta: They even have an option now in the app where you can set your magic band to your NFC inside Android pay. As in I actually had my Disney magic band as an NFC option inside the Android app. It was a little flaky to be honest but for the most part it worked.
I've got a couple of cards in the app that I can use there, and the Android Pay thing makes sense - it's the MB part that's confusing, and they don't really explain it that well. If you log into the the website and go to Payment Methods, it only mentions MB usage under "Disney Resort Hotel Guests" and that it requires the room PIN.

It's a little surprising that they hadn't made MB purchases possible earlier - since the MB is just accessing the account info that's already there. I'll be down there next week - I'm curious enough that I might try it just to see what happens.

I've got a couple of cards in the app that I can use there, and the Android Pay thing makes sense - it's the MB part that's confusing, and they don't really explain it that well. If you log into the the website and go to Payment Methods, it only mentions MB usage under "Disney Resort Hotel Guests" and that it requires the room PIN.

It's a little surprising that they hadn't made MB purchases possible earlier - since the MB is just accessing the account info that's already there. I'll be down there next week - I'm curious enough that I might try it just to see what happens.
For sure try it!! I'm a software engineer so I was playing with it in different ways to see where it would break / not work 🤣🤣

Has there been any updates to when Magicbands or Magicbands+ will be available at Disneyland

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter