D2 Cheer Summit. Anyone been?

gulliesmom

Mouseketeer
My DD (11) and her team just got a bid last night! We are super excited as this is their first year as a team and they have worked so hard.

Can anyone who has been through this process tell me what the structure of the weekend is like? We got a Wild Card bid so we have to compete Friday to see if we even make it to Saturday's competition. Their coach told us last night to expect to fly down on Wednesday (we are coming from MA), plan on a practice Thursday and then compete Friday and hope we advance.

I also read there is a party/celebration at the end for all the cheerleaders. Is this Sunday night? Do most people book through Sunday and depart Monday? I am trying to figure out how many days of school DD will miss, esp since this is smack in the middle of MCAS (state testing). It is what it is but would be nice to get a sense.

Anyway, anyone who has BTDT I would love to hear what the days were like in terms of schedule, etc. I know it will be insanely busy, crowded, etc. I am trying to just roll with that.

I responded on your other thread as well.

We are D1 but I assume D2 is the same. Sunday's party starts at 10pm and lasts until 2am. We go Tuesday-Tuesday but others in our gym are Wednesday-Monday. Just a preference/$$$ thing. Only problem I have with it is that we dont get our tickets until we get there so no fastpasses until that day. You can make ADR's but that's it. You can PM me for more info if you want. We went last year and are going back this year.

We are D1 but I assume D2 is the same. Sunday's party starts at 10pm and lasts until 2am. We go Tuesday-Tuesday but others in our gym are Wednesday-Monday. Just a preference/$$$ thing. Only problem I have with it is that we dont get our tickets until we get there so no fastpasses until that day. You can make ADR's but that's it. You can PM me for more info if you want. We went last year and are going back this year.

OK so no Magic Bands I'm guessing? I guess as stressful as it is not being able to plan ahead for FPs and stuff, almost makes it easier to sit back and wait, LOL

OK so no Magic Bands I'm guessing? I guess as stressful as it is not being able to plan ahead for FPs and stuff, almost makes it easier to sit back and wait, LOL
Yes, we get magic bands the day of. We check in on Wednesday morning and get our tickets from our coaches then check in at the front desk for rooms where they give us magic bands. Then you can link it all in MDE.

Congrats on your bid! The good news is that Varsity changed things for this year, so now all Wild Card winners will advance straight to Sunday. No semi-finals!

OP here- another thought/question...Our coaches are pushing to book off property, with the thinking that it will save $$. When I start adding up transportation costs, tickets, etc., it really seems like any monies saved by staying off property end up being spent on everything else that is included oil the package price. We are all meeting as a group Tuesday to discuss everything, but I am curious for those who have experience staying on or off property, what would you recommend and why? For logistical purposes, there are 12 athletes, two coaches, two assistant coaches, and then 12 moms, plus a few of the athletes are bringing dads, siblings and other family members. Would love to hear any input about this.

Thanks

I would NOT book off property. Period. If ONLY for WDW transportation. Should your kids get separated (intentionally or not!) they have a safe, guaranteed ride back to their room. With the varieties of ages and families you have going IMHO the WDW transportation option is priceless.

I would NOT book off property. Period. If ONLY for WDW transportation. Should your kids get separated (intentionally or not!) they have a safe, guaranteed ride back to their room. With the varieties of ages and families you have going IMHO the WDW transportation option is priceless.

Thanks! It is sounding like the coaches are leaning towards on property now (thankfully).

We are D1 and going for the first time with a wild card bid this year. Our gym's head coach mentioned that we won't be able to get the athlete's Varsity passes until Thursday, he will try for the morning but mentioned that sometimes Varsity isn't even done sorting in the afternoon. We're assuming same thing for the family passes ordered from Varsity as well. I am investigating the cost of not getting the family's passes through Varsity just so that we can do FP's for my non-athlete (assuming she herself doesn't get a bid between now and then).

Yes, we get magic bands the day of. We check in on Wednesday morning and get our tickets from our coaches then check in at the front desk for rooms where they give us magic bands. Then you can link it all in MDE.

One more thought- does this also mean that Disney will not send the luggage tags ahead of time, or do they still do that? I never check bags but most of the people I am travelling with will be checking bags and were asking how luggage, DME, etc. works. I explained how it "usually" works, but no idea if it is different this time due to Summit.

One more thought- does this also mean that Disney will not send the luggage tags ahead of time, or do they still do that? I never check bags but most of the people I am travelling with will be checking bags and were asking how luggage, DME, etc. works. I explained how it "usually" works, but no idea if it is different this time due to Summit.

If you have a Disney resort reservation, I'd expect luggage, DME as usual. At least I am. It's just the park tickets that won't be linked to the room reservation. Unless you have a group room reservation through your team, then I have no clue. Our team has a room block at the Marriott, but I'm staying on property.

If you have a Disney resort reservation, I'd expect luggage, DME as usual. At least I am. It's just the park tickets that won't be linked to the room reservation. Unless you have a group room reservation through your team, then I have no clue. Our team has a room block at the Marriott, but I'm staying on property.

OK. I am hoping the coach has us register as individuals using our team registration code so we can still get everything individually, check in individually, etc. Easiest for everyone involved I think.

We are D1 and going for the first time with a wild card bid this year. Our gym's head coach mentioned that we won't be able to get the athlete's Varsity passes until Thursday, he will try for the morning but mentioned that sometimes Varsity isn't even done sorting in the afternoon. We're assuming same thing for the family passes ordered from Varsity as well. I am investigating the cost of not getting the family's passes through Varsity just so that we can do FP's for my non-athlete (assuming she herself doesn't get a bid between now and then).

Our gym gets our passes Wednesday morning and hands them out that day. We register our entire gym under one reservation to ensure everyone is ready to go. Not sure how other gyms handle it though. I believe all passes have to go through Varsity's onsite checkin which means that day onsite.

Last year, our head coach sent everyone a 1 sheet DME form. On it, we put our arrival/departure date and location (hotel). We were then sent luggage tags along with a confirmation that we showed DME when we got to the airport. Once you get to the hotel, you can check in, get magic bands (don't think you can choose colors though, all of ours were red), and get your room. Separate from that are the tickets from Varsity, along with the celebration ticket, WWoS ticket, and shuttle to/from WWoS.

Our gym gets our passes Wednesday morning and hands them out that day. We register our entire gym under one reservation to ensure everyone is ready to go. Not sure how other gyms handle it though. I believe all passes have to go through Varsity's onsite checkin which means that day onsite.

I wish our gym could guarantee Wednesday delivery but they seemed uncertain about even Thursday morning. Maybe it's our gym's rep's travel day causing the issue but he made it seem like Varsity wasn't ready until Thursday. Oh well........ flights already purchased for Wed. night so it is what it is, at lease for us.

I wish our gym could guarantee Wednesday delivery but they seemed uncertain about even Thursday morning. Maybe it's our gym's rep's travel day causing the issue but he made it seem like Varsity wasn't ready until Thursday. Oh well........ flights already purchased for Wed. night so it is what it is, at lease for us.

We are all arriving sometime Wednesday. Our coach required all of us the arrive by Wednesday night to be ready at any time for practice Thursday. We only have 13 on our team and it looks like about half are on one flight, and the rest are split on a few other flights. She did not require us to travel all on the same flight, as long as we all arrive by Wednesday night.

We are all registered to stay on-site with one of their packages in a Moderate so will either be CBR or CS. No idea when we find out which of the two hotels. I assumed we got to select which one, but our coach was told by Varsity that we can only select Value or Moderate and they assign us as a team to whichever one has room.

How do we make ADRs? When we registered, we didn't get a confirmation number to link to MDE. Can I use the group reservation number?

ETA: Duh. Never mind o_O

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter