D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
I consider anything that leads to greater understanding to be a positive thing. I only discovered yesterday the origins of the phrase ‘nitty gritty’. Why didn’t I know this? If I had, I would never have used such a phrase.

The US has to do a better job of teaching this country’s history. My 17-year-old knows all about the Tuskegee experiment, but she didn’t learn it in school.

Many are not aware that the Daughters of the Confederacy have shaped the history taught at public schools in this country.
My son attends a charter school and I've been pleasantly suprised at their American History curriculum, starting with the colonization of the US.

https://www.facingsouth.org/2019/04...nfederate-propaganda-ended-souths-schoolbooks

From an earlier comment about "Caucasian allies" remember that allies can be White, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, or any other race/ethnicity.

Hi there @RapunzelIsMyHomeGirl ,
All of the ethnicitIes you listed in your post (Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander) have traditionally been identified as Black & Brown people.
Dating back to the European slavery and colonization era, White Caucasians used the denigrating color labels; Yellow men for Asians, Redmen for Native/ First Nation People to further separate people. Remember, "Race" is a man-made construct.

The link below provides academic insight into this idea we call race.

The Event is a social experiment about race.

In Peace, Love & Light,
Cheers

Last edited:
A quick aside about seeing/not seeing color. One thing that always leaves me feeling extremely uncomfortable is when I’m with a group of white friends and one of them is trying to describe someone and the person in question is the only black person in a particular group. Usually when relating an incident or if we are discussing people presently around us (me? Gossip? Never!) I’ve been in conversations where a friend will painstakingly describe every single detail about this person down to the stitching of their clothing in an effort to avoid mentioning the color of their skin. Often, I’ve let it go because it seems for some reason some well-meaning white people are extremely uncomfortable saying the word “black” in relation to describing someone and some friends have told me that they are afraid of using the “wrong words” i.e. “African American” vs. “Black.”

Sometimes, I get frustrated and blurt out “you mean the black guy/girl?” I’m not sure exactly where I’m going with this but in regard to kids and describing people or characters by including skin color, I think it’s natural. They see the differences between people but it seems at such young ages ( provided they haven’t been taught to associate skin color with behavior or personality traits, which I have no idea how possible that is just by existing in this world) they are just using all the tools they have to express themselves.

I think it’s great to show kids all the ways we differ and to instill a curiosity about the world. I think it starts with parents actively exposing their kids to diversity, not just telling them that everyone is equal. I’m struggling with some friends of mine who have young kids (like 12 months-ish) and they live in predominately white cities/towns and go to predominately white daycares and when (before Covid) they were taken shopping, would most likely only encounter other white people as well. When kids are in that type of environment, I think it is the caregiver’s responsibility to make sure the child knows there’s more than their bubble and also that they experience it more than occasionally.
Hey @TummyGirl ,
Has anyone noticed if you mention anything related to race or dare mention “BLM”, White friends get nervous or make accusations of race politic? This stems from the fact many people are so uncomfortable discussing race/color they are looking to turn the conversation back on you?

A quick aside about seeing/not seeing color. One thing that always leaves me feeling extremely uncomfortable is when I’m with a group of white friends and one of them is trying to describe someone and the person in question is the only black person in a particular group. Usually when relating an incident or if we are discussing people presently around us (me? Gossip? Never!) I’ve been in conversations where a friend will painstakingly describe every single detail about this person down to the stitching of their clothing in an effort to avoid mentioning the color of their skin. Often, I’ve let it go because it seems for some reason some well-meaning white people are extremely uncomfortable saying the word “black” in relation to describing someone and some friends have told me that they are afraid of using the “wrong words” i.e. “African American” vs. “Black.”

Sometimes, I get frustrated and blurt out “you mean the black guy/girl?” I’m not sure exactly where I’m going with this but in regard to kids and describing people or characters by including skin color, I think it’s natural. They see the differences between people but it seems at such young ages ( provided they haven’t been taught to associate skin color with behavior or personality traits, which I have no idea how possible that is just by existing in this world) they are just using all the tools they have to express themselves.

I think it’s great to show kids all the ways we differ and to instill a curiosity about the world. I think it starts with parents actively exposing their kids to diversity, not just telling them that everyone is equal. I’m struggling with some friends of mine who have young kids (like 12 months-ish) and they live in predominately white cities/towns and go to predominately white daycares and when (before Covid) they were taken shopping, would most likely only encounter other white people as well. When kids are in that type of environment, I think it is the caregiver’s responsibility to make sure the child knows there’s more than their bubble and also that they experience it more than occasionally.
Honestly, as a parent with young kids, it's really helpful to hear these views, so thank you for saying it :) I do not live in a diverse community so these are not discussions I really get to hear or have, and sometimes I question the terminology I use. People complain about having to be politically correct or that everyone is offended. Really it's not meant to be political and usually no one is offended; we're just trying to learn, grow and use words that help teach our kids to care. I don't want to use the wrong words like my husband referring to cinderella as sleeping beauty. I want to be right some of the time =)

Last edited:
With social distance will be more important this July 4 holiday. Is anyone here interested in creating Virtual Viewing parties? We pick a platform, pick a movie, and coordinate start time. Who is in charge of Popcorn @Lindsey17, @Poohbear538 ?
@MikeTaylor , @Tonyz you dudes have Refreshments?
@kylenne well make sure everyone has a good seat. :rotfl2:

I know this will be an obvious choice, how does everyone feel about "Hamilton" streaming on Disney Plus?

View attachment 505903

View attachment 505904
Late to the game, but I think I have enough popcorn atm to cover the world LOL! Those buy one get ones 😊

View attachment 506040
If anyone is willing to offer suggestions for alternate movies in place of Hamilton, I am all ears.

If we focus on content from the Disney Plus platform, we can surely find a few things we can all agree on to watch.
Can everyone post two (2) movies for our watch party list?
A while back Disney showed some of their fireworks shows online. So one of my votes for that. Hamilton would be great but I don't have Disney+ anymore.

Does anyone feel any kind of way about the discussions surrounding the NBA deal at WDW?
I’m seeing what I’d call an inappropriate level of anger about it, but I feel out of place making any outright calls about why people are so exceedingly angry during this very weird and challenging time. I guess it’s mostly COVID-related stress disorder, but I’m worried that D.O.Cs will feel like it’s just another slight against a group based on race.
I had been wondering if that was a component of the anger, but it became abundantly clear to me when I saw people referring to the players as “low lifes” and “losers.”

Last edited:
I had been wondering if that was a component of the anger, but it became abundantly clear to me when I saw people referring to the players as “low lifes” and “losers.”
View attachment 506222
It's really sad that some people behave this way. They want to start a petition to keep the players out of GF? I too stopped following a few threads because of the ugliness. So far this thread is good.Peace and Love to you.

I had to step out of the big news thread for a while last night because one of the sidebars about the need for privacy was getting lowkey ugly.
Honestly I have removed myself from social media all together minus here and LinkedIn. I have thought about leaving here a few times as well. Everyone looks at me like I have 3 heads when I say I don’t have Facebook or Twitter and have never been on Instagram. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I learned that when something makes me more sad than happy I need to purge it from my life. World needs more love right now. ♥️♥️♥️

I'm working hard, being essential... Keeping the country moving, making that OT, saving up for a Disney trip next year (or not). Since I have a primary job, I'm more fortunate than my production buddies who need that government assistance extension after this month. Write your congress people!

That being said, I finally made the DW watch Emperor's New Groove. I forget that like, the only song is the "theme song" sung by Tom Jones. It's probably why a bunch of people don't like it... it's not a musical, the script is mostly sarcasm and condescending, comedic themes.

Have fun this weekend, DISers!

Ok, I may get blasted for saying this on a Disney board (😉) BUT... I just watched Trolls World Tour. Watching it through adult eyes, it’s a great message. I know it has just come out but I recommend it. I love music, all music so this was fun for me to watch. ❤️

View attachment 506222
The quote referring to NBA (and the mostly Black/Brown) athletes as “low lifes) is part of the systemic racists statements made Typical of 1960, but this is 2020.
You may interpret that ugly quote as “how dare they allow “those” “lowlifes” <colored> people stay in our nice White ‘Grand Floridian’ resort?
or more directly “Those colored people do not deserve to stay here.”
bet any amount of money if the athletes of the NFL were staying at Grand Floridian, these same protestors would be first in line for autographs.
That is why when creating the poll to request recognition for this thread to become a permanent Forum, I provided an option for ‘Yes’ or “I do not have anything positive to contribute to this forum” instead of giving them an easy way to say “you do not deserve to have your own forum”, to suppress Black & Brown voices

People ask me why I sign off wishing everyone “Peace, Love & Light”?
my hope is everyone will reach a point in their life’s journey with a level of Grace. The beauty of having one’s life changed by grace, is similar to being adrift at sea, with no provisions for months with out end. Then suddenly on the horizon, you spot land. Everyone deserves a life filled with Peace & love. If we shine a light on injustice, hatred then it has no where to hide.

I sign off wishing everyone Peace & Love.

Last edited:
I'm working hard, being essential... Keeping the country moving, making that OT, saving up for a Disney trip next year (or not). Since I have a primary job, I'm more fortunate than my production buddies who need that government assistance extension after this month. Write your congress people!

That being said, I finally made the DW watch Emperor's New Groove. I forget that like, the only song is the "theme song" sung by Tom Jones. It's probably why a bunch of people don't like it... it's not a musical, the script is mostly sarcasm and condescending, comedic themes.

Hey Brother @MikeTaylor ,
I love Emperor’s New Groove , I have a framed sericel from the movie hanging in my dining room.

Ok, I may get blasted for saying this on a Disney board (😉) BUT... I just watched Trolls World Tour. Watching it through adult eyes, it’s a great message. I know it has just come out but I recommend it. I love music, all music so this was fun for me to watch. ❤
@Poohbear538
One word comes to mind “scandalous” :rotfl2: Thanks for the recommendation. I was curious “Trolls World tour” would be a fun movie to watch. I will add it to the list.

Hey Family @Poohbear538,
Remember we may not all agree on everything. Just look at my suggestion for “Hamilton” as a movie watch party suggestion. LoL. That is ok we can always find compromise, or take it as learning something new.
I hope everyone feels safe to share in thus thread. As long as we keep in mind, even if you disagree with a subject or a Dis’er member, be kind, be respectful and be loving. Or this amazing community WE are building will get shut down faster than “Krusty the clown’s Krusty World theme park.
:clown:
Besides I am waiting for folks here to rise up if I mention “Wizarding World of some Kid with a scar” or “James Bond.”

Last edited:
So I'm curious to hear opinions on a show like Hamilton, which I saw for the first time today. What do you all think about having a POC play a white historical figure, like Thomas Jefferson for example? I know there's been some controversy lately about having white actors voice Black characters in animated shows. I think that's about not giving the Black voice actors equal opportunity (please correct me if I'm wrong on that) but what about the other way around. If the character was fictional, sure, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about a real person, who we know was white, being played by a POC. I think the show was wonderful and the entire cast did a fantastic job. I'm just wondering how that particular issue is viewed, especially by POC.

Hey Family @Poohbear538,
Remember we may not all agree on everything. Just look at my suggestion for “Hamilton” as a movie watch party suggestion. LoL. That is ok we can always find compromise, or take it as learning something new.
I hope everyone feels safe to share in thus thread. As long as we keep in mind, even if you disagree with a subject or a Dis’er member, be kind, be respectful and be loving. Or this amazing community with a community WE are building will get shut down faster than “Krusty the clown’s Krusty World theme park.

Besides I am waiting for folks here to rise up if I mention “Wizarding World of some Kid with a scar” or “James Bond.”
Totally agree @AKL Ranger ! I am going to watch Hamilton. I would have loved to see it live, but I am glad we can see it on Disney+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter