• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
I hadn’t been to Disney in over ten years when I started planning my first multigenerational trip with mom and my 3 year old daughter. I had always wanted to stay at AKL but now that I’m part of a blended family, I worried that it was in poor taste. We ended up getting bumped to The Vice Pesidential Suite from a 2br club room because they overbooked and boy, I wasn’t sure we could ever have a vacation that good. Last year I started looking into DVC and saw that so much of the marketing materials featured diverse families. We stayed at Beach Club and I just bought AKV DVC resale today.
im glad you started this thread, I’m in several Facebook racial justice forums and I’m just so glad some people are finally listening to POC. May it be more and more and may implicit bias be rooted out in my lifetime.

Does anyone feel any kind of way about the discussions surrounding the NBA deal at WDW?
I’m seeing what I’d call an inappropriate level of anger about it, but I feel out of place making any outright calls about why people are so exceedingly angry during this very weird and challenging time. I guess it’s mostly COVID-related stress disorder, but I’m worried that D.O.Cs will feel like it’s just another slight against a group based on race.
Hi Carol,
Can you share more info about why some people are expressing anger about the NBA deal with Disney -ESPN Sports complex? Why would you feel D.O.C.s as a whole would view the Disney/NBA deal as a slight based on race?
In my very humble opinion, I support the creation of a protected bubble of safety for the NBA Athletes to compete in a zoned off area like the Disney sports complex. I think it is not a smart idea inviting the NBA athlete's families to also be included, to what will amount to be a free trip to the Walt Disney World resort. The reason I am against including their families, obviously the families/children will visit the theme parks, potentially exposing themselves and the athletes to Covid-19.
I think NBA and Disney should treat the ESPN NBA bubble like the Olympic Villiage model. Limited secure access to the Athletes village to the Athletes, coaches, trainers, and officials, while families stay home and enjoy the games safely away from Covid-19.

Hi Carol,
Can you share more info about why some people are expressing anger about the NBA deal with Disney -ESPN Sports complex? Why would you feel D.O.C.s as a whole would view the Disney/NBA deal as a slight based on race?
In my very humble opinion, I support the creation of a protected bubble of safety for the NBA Athletes to compete in a zoned off area like the Disney sports complex. I think it is not a smart idea inviting the NBA athlete's families to also be included, to what will amount to be a free trip to the Walt Disney World resort. The reason I am against including their families, obviously the families/children will visit the theme parks, potentially exposing themselves and the athletes to Covid-19.
I think NBA and Disney should treat the ESPN NBA bubble like the Olympic Villiage model. Limited secure access to the Athletes village to the Athletes, coaches, trainers, and officials, while families stay home and enjoy the games safely away from Covid-19.
No, that’s not what I meant. I don’t think any group as a whole shares any feeling or opinion. We’re all individuals. What I was saying was that there are threads here on the dis boards where some people seem way too angry about WDW changes being made to accommodate the NBA. I was suggesting that those people’s heightened reaction to the NBA deal might be seen as having a racial undercurrent.

Has anyone every overheard negative comments about Disney's Animal Kingdom Park that made you wonder if people were giving that park an unbias view?
Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, and I think part of the reason for that is because the first time I went I was with my two Indonesian brothers-in-law, and it was so cool to see how much they delighted especially in the parts of the park that reminded them of their native land. I think part of the deep love I have for AK stems from my gratitude that it made them feel like less of strangers in a strange land for a while. So I am quite biased but in a positive direction.

Did you know the Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House, contains the second largest collection of African art outside of the Smithsonian Museum? Walt and Lillian Disney were avid collectors of African art.
I did not know this, and am glad I do now! I've never been to AKL, but I hope to stay there for at least a night next year and I am DYING to try allllllllllll the food.

Great thread!

On the topic of AK, has anyone else felt that in particular, Africa feels...colonial? I cannot pinpoint why exactly, but I get the early 20th-century rich British “explorer” vibe there sometimes.

They also need some more representation in Epcot for South American and African countries too. I personally have no interest in another European country there. Any thoughts on what Epcot could do?
Hello Wariokartel,
That is a Great Post! Yes, it is no accident Animal Kingdom Theme Park has a colonial 20th Century look and feel. Ears off to the amazing Mr. Joe Rhode and his research team. Joe Rhode and his team wanted to create a realistic environment that was accurate when and where possible while being culturally respectful to African and Asia culture and her people. The mythical port town of Harambe, East Africa is modeled after British East Africa colonies.
Anyone care to guess the name of the real African nation that serves as a reference for Harambe?

I will be back with some surprising facts that may surprise you.

Some people legitimately believe that black people can’t or shouldn’t have access to the same “exclusive” spaces.

...that first woman absolutely did not believe a black family could afford a JS and thought we were scamming.
It makes me feel so sick and sad when I read things like that. I'm so glad @AKL Ranger started this thread because I for one need to stop sticking my head in the sand because the topics of racism/prejudice/bigotry make me uncomfortable. So thank you for sharing. I don't know if I've been part of the problem (and I'm not going to pretend I definitely haven't) but I sure as heck haven't been part of the solution. This is a step in the right direction, I hope.

(Also the Celtics are going to win it all; I have a very strong prejudice against all other teams that I will not apologize for.)

No, that’s not what I meant. I don’t think any group as a whole shares any feeling or opinion. We’re all individuals. What I was saying was that there are threads here on the dis boards where some people seem way too angry about WDW changes being made to accommodate the NBA. I was suggesting that those people’s heightened reaction to the NBA deal might be seen as having a racial undercurrent.
Ah, Carol thank you for clarifying. I too have questions regarding the motives of individuals who are "angry" over the changes Disney are making to accommodate the NBA.
If these same individuals were to answer a poll, I wonder what their answers are to the following questions;

• How do you feel about wearing surgical/ face masks?
  • Is Animal Kingdom Park your favorite park, why or why not?
  • How frequently do you visit and participate in activities at the ESPN Sports complex?

LOL

As I shared earlier the "Olympic Village" COVID free zone is a smart idea, to enable professional sports to return to America. Are these people complaining because they will lose access to the venue or because the presence of NBA potentially increases the number of people of color on the grounds of the Walt Disney World Resort?

It is my hope that in time people will eventually see the Walt Disney World Resort as a peaceful place for families and friends of all colors will enjoy, evoking the call of their inner child. Children are born innocent, without hate. Hatred is something that is taught.

There was an excessive amount of pearl-clutching going on between the NBA deal and the Splash Mountain theme change. A lot of the "We're not allowed to say anything anymore" [insert Spongebob meme] crap. Cringetastic.
Lol "pearl-clutching". Such an apt description!

Of all the recent cuts, this was the one that hit the hardest. I know all live entertainment is impacted right now, but I really hope that in the post-Covid world (that's coming, right? Yes??) they restore the AKL street performers.

I always stopped to listen to the band play and ALWAYS ended up dancing lol. We would laugh and take pictures and call each other cousins. It was great.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge Thanksgiving week 2018. The resort is breathtaking and one can easily spend an entire day walking around looking at the artifacts, animals, and talking with the amazing CMs and cultural artists. The food is beyond amazing. The resort has a peace and tranquility that no other resort can offer. It is evident that the imagineers/ Joe Rhode spent hours to bring this masterpiece to Disney.

It is my hope that in time people will eventually see the Walt Disney World Resort as a peaceful place for families and friends of all colors will enjoy, evoking the call of their inner child. Children are born innocent, without hate. Hatred is something that is taught.

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been listening and trying to learn as much as possible about what others experience and what I as a white woman will never experience. I also appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and helping to teach people like me even though you dont and shouldn't have to.

I have to admit that I have yet to have a talk with my kids (son is 6 and daughter is 3) about race. I was under the impression that not pointing out our differences or raising them "to not see color" as some say was the right approach, but is actually not the way to go based off articles and posts I've read. I'm struggling with the right words to bring it up or the best way to explain it in a way they'll understand. My son has described different cartoon characters or people on tv as having brown skin and I just go about the rest of the conversation and don't stop to correct him. He's simply trying to tell me which character he's talking about and there's no malicious intent behind it, but afterwards I always feel like I missed my moment and that I'm part of the problem. I just want to raise kind, empathetic humans who see/judge people for the content of their character and not by their race, sexual orientation, religion, etc.

Just wanted to throw in another "thank you" to @AKL Ranger for starting this thread and to everyone who has contributed to it in any way, shape, or form. :grouphug:

Being the shyest man in World (Walt Disney) I want to say a big thank you to all you Dis'ers. I have to say a very Big Thank you to Brother @Tonyz who inspired me to take the leap. I was a member here for several years, but just too shy to jump in and post.

Please be sure to visit our Poll and cast your vote to petition for D.O.C.s to become a featured Forum and share the link with other like-minded Dis'ers

https://www.disboards.com/threads/petition-request-for-new-dedicated-forum-d-o-c-s.3806412/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter