Current wait times look pretty long. I was thinking September had lighter crowds. Is there anything special going on that might account for the

We got back on Sun am, and given that we go during this time of year, nearly every year, I felt that posted wait times occasionally seemed higher than typical. I recall having that impression. GotG, a highly anticipated ride is also pretty new, and we still have the 50th, pent up demand. We noticed that while actual times were lower, sometimes much lower, there weren't many cases where wait times exceeded stated times. Many MK rides were washed out from heavy storms, and the open indoor attractions had higher wait times as a result. We also experienced many many breakdowns, much more than usual. By our 3rd RD at EP for Remi, we wanted to skip it because we'd get up early to be at front of line, work our way all the way to France, even be in the ride, just to be turned around and have been better off going to FEA. Same with 7D, Rise.

On the flip side, days at MK during party nights had incredibly low wait times - haven't seen anything like that in several years. We rode 7D, Pan, then Space 4x, Jungle, Pirates, BTM 2x, Splash 2x, and went back to a posted 40 min for 7D (20 actual). Most rides were 5 min., with the headliners in the 20-40 min posted even in the afternoon. We only bought G+ 2x in 8 park days, the lowest since advent of G. And we didn't need it for that 2nd day on Labor Day. We bought our first LL ever, for my back to back to back ride on GotG (used wife's for 2nd ride). We rode rides like TT, Space, BTM, Soarin around 10x each. We did most of what we aimed for but this is perhaps the first time the thought crept in that we should stop coming in Sept for the lower crowds. I've probably been going at the end of Aug./early Sept for 20 years. I was getting tired of the rain every day last week. One day last week, we got out to the bus at 6:30 and it was already 82 feels like 88. Each brisk walk at RD and we were puddles. And I don't typically sweat a lot.
We always go the week of Labor Day. At least for the last roughly 14 years. For some reason, last week seemed hotter than I ever remember it. It's always hot but this was different. Not sure why. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age...

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. This helps me out a lot for our trip exactly a year from now. I'll probably switch my Magic Kingdom days to a Tuesday and Thursday if that is the normal Halloween Party days. Hollywood Studios just seems like a very busy park all the time. I'm assuming probably cause it is more attractive to teens, young adults?
Hollywood Studios has the most new stuff that people want to see. New stuff drives attendance.
It has three new attractions and the Star Wars Galaxies Edge area.
Pixar Place is also fairly new.
The park has a good balance of attractions and shows as well.
Rise of the Resistance is still a big draw. So is Slinky.
Hollywood Studios doesn't have the capacity that Epcot or MK have, so a bit harder to get a reservation. That "scarcity" makes people make it a priority.

We always go the week of Labor Day. At least for the last roughly 14 years. For some reason, last week seemed hotter than I ever remember it. It's always hot but this was different. Not sure why. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age...
I know it typically rains a lot this time of year, it's hurricane season. And often, I welcome afternoon rain when it's that hot. But torrential, to the point of standing water with your feet completely submerged in places, outdoor rides closed, for several hours at a time... that was getting to me more than normal. Not sure about you, but I go at this time because it's seasonably lower crowds, cheaper rooms and flights (Disney's Value Season 2), and our anniversary. Our most recent trips were early Nov., Christmas/NY, and April/May 2022 and while all of those times were busier and more expensive, I like that the late fall & winter is dryer/cooler.

My Uber driver today said there is a Workday convention with just under 20k people in town. And that’s apparently 10k less than Pre-Covid times for this conference…

I agree, the heat seemed worse than usual last week. I was wondering if it was the excessive humidity. A lot of times the rain will help break the humidity, but last week it just stayed humid the whole time. We’re getting old, mid 60s. We couldn’t tolerate more than 3 - 4 hours in the park at a time & figured we‘re just getting old. The parks weren’t horribly crowded & we’ve been there at busier times. But it certainly wasn’t as slow as September used to be.

I agree, the heat seemed worse than usual last week. I was wondering if it was the excessive humidity. A lot of times the rain will help break the humidity, but last week it just stayed humid the whole time. We’re getting old, mid 60s. We couldn’t tolerate more than 3 - 4 hours in the park at a time & figured we‘re just getting old. The parks weren’t horribly crowded & we’ve been there at busier times. But it certainly wasn’t as slow as September used to be.
I'm 41 and I noticed that the humidity was so bad that my old football wrist arthritis that's normally very mild was so bad I couldn't use the hand without pain. My left knee and ankles were so swollen from the 10+ miles and standing that I had to ice each night. Can't imagine once I have more miles on me, although I have various ailments all the time, as a distance runner. Agree that the parks weren't terribly crowded and actual wait times weren't unbearable, but it seemed higher than usual, aside from at MK on party days.

We have 3 MK days coming up and I was worried that 1 was on a Party Day because we'd have to be out of the park early. We are rope droppers so heading right in isn't an issue, but it sounds like it may actually be a good day to visit from what I'm reading.

We have 3 MK days coming up and I was worried that 1 was on a Party Day because we'd have to be out of the park early. We are rope droppers so heading right in isn't an issue, but it sounds like it may actually be a good day to visit from what I'm reading.
Most definitely! Party days are the best to visit the MK!

This is what I accomplished last Friday at rope drop and leaving park by 1:30 pm. All rides were a walk on.

Mine train (15 minute delay in start)
Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan
Jungle Cruise
Pirates
Splash and allowed to stay on for second ride
Big Thunder
Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow
Space Mountain-had been walk on but about four trains ahead of me a 10 minute delay while they looked for a lost item
Laugh Floor (TTA was down, which would have been my first choice)
Buzz
Buzz (had to try for higher score-my aim is horrible!)
Space
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Prince Charming’s Carousel

It does have lighter crowds. But "lighter" does not equal "light". This will be relatively light compared to many other times of the year.

It does have lighter crowds. But "lighter" does not equal "light". This will be relatively light compared to many other times of the year.
While this past Mon and Fri were very light lines at MK, we didn't see as much of a proportional drop in lines for this past Christmas party days.

Also, I try to avoid scheduling MK the day after a party (more so than the day before a party). A lot of people (i.e., non park hoppers) tend to pick the next day after a party for MK. And add to that that Fri has been a party day so the day after is a busier in general Sat. Sometimes, it's tough to avoid the day before and after and not have bunched up days in a row of the same park. I was mindful of this and still scheduled us for MK on Sat 9/3, day after a party and yes, also a Sat. and before Labor Day - and we probably saw the heaviest crowds of our 8 day trip that night.

We were there the week of Labor Day. I found most days to be comfortable crowd wise. The best day was MK party day. We got a lot done. Well worth leaving early, however, hopping to EPCOT was a disaster, I think everyone had the same idea. Really, uncomfortable crowd levels. We had Genie and used it to our advantage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter