• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Current CM.. Any Questions?

Would you watch a vlog about life as a Disney performer at sea?

• Yes

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are the major differences (and similarities) between performing in a show at Disney World and on Disney Cruise Line?
I didn’t perform in any shows at WDW (does parade count?) but the biggest issue with performing on a ship is that it is moving and you can easily misjudge where the stage is or it could change in an instant. People do get hurt. That is why they cancel shows if it is too rocky.
For me as a character performer, there is not much of a difference except not having the variety of being scheduled as different friends, and there is less time doing meet and greets on the ship compared to the parks

I was a Front Office CM at 5 resorts at WDW and also spent a lot of time working at all the theme parks, DS and the water parks. Oh, I was also a long time WDW bus driver. Ask away if you have any questions.
Do you apply at a different place? Every time on Disney jobs it’s always tree trimmers and mechanical. Just curious where best place for app is and do they offer snow bird 6 month positions?

Do you apply at a different place? Every time on Disney jobs it’s always tree trimmers and mechanical. Just curious where best place for app is and do they offer snow bird 6 month positions?
The website I'm aware of is the Disney careers website. As far as I know, and excluding visiting the Casting Center to find out what to do, that's where you begin the process. I noticed that they only list full and part time positions.

I did work with many, many snowbirds but a lot has transpired and things keep changing.

Not to discourage you and it could be different in other areas, but when I retired a few years ago they had phased out the "Seasonal" job category in the department I was in and in my previous department. But both roles required extensive training so maybe Disney didn't want to invest all that time and effort and not have CMs be available year round. It could be totally different in other departments.

You might have to wait until you're in the area and persue it in person. Visiting the Casting Center was the way it was done when I began but that was in the mid 90s and technology has come a long way.

Last edited:

I didn’t perform in any shows at WDW (does parade count?) but the biggest issue with performing on a ship is that it is moving and you can easily misjudge where the stage is or it could change in an instant. People do get hurt. That is why they cancel shows if it is too rocky.
For me as a character performer, there is not much of a difference except not having the variety of being scheduled as different friends, and there is less time doing meet and greets on the ship compared to the parks

One thing about characters on cruises, I really wish there were more Meet & Greets. Like sometimes there is only 1-2 Mickey meets a day, I wish there was more. If the lines are long, I have missed out many times on different characters.

Hi DCL Peeps!

I am an Entertainment CM and have worked in a couple of different positions on a few different ships (and WDW as well). If you have questions and can’t find the answer, please send them my way and I can try and help.
Mags
There is a thread about hiding ducks on ships. Some claim cast members are instructed to throw ducks away when the cast member sees one. Perhaps you could hop onto that thread and offer insight. Forgive me if you have already and I missed it.

One thing about characters on cruises, I really wish there were more Meet & Greets. Like sometimes there is only 1-2 Mickey meets a day, I wish there was more. If the lines are long, I have missed out many times on different characters.
I’m sorry that you missed out on meeting some of your favorite characters. It is sometimes difficult to schedule things around each other as the Cast are needed for other duties/shows etc. I’ll pass on your feedback to my Manager :)

There is a thread about hiding ducks on ships. Some claim cast members are instructed to throw ducks away when the cast member sees one. Perhaps you could hop onto that thread and offer insight. Forgive me if you have already and I missed it.
I have never been instructed to throw them away, but perhaps other departments have been. I even have a few cute ducks that I found and kept. There are a lot that do somehow end up in the trash though. The comments about this in the hiding ducks thread come from a former CM

Taking our first cruise with our kids (6 and 4). I’ve sailed DCL a few times in the past, but not since the early 2000s. It’ll be good to be back.

Now that we’re about 30 days from sailing, could you tell me which princesses are likely to be on the Fantasy the week of November 4th? I realize anything could change for any reason, but it would great to hear! Thank you!

Dealing with day to day ship life, being friends of characters for as long as she has both on land and sea and working for the Disney Company with all that it entails takes a hearty individual. If she can handle all that, I’m sure she’ll get over this little speed bump. But her friend Cindy has had some time off.
Is it really that hard on the body to put on a dress and pretend to be a princess? What is it about working for Disney that is hard? Not being snarky, genuinely wondering.

I’m sorry that you missed out on meeting some of your favorite characters. It is sometimes difficult to schedule things around each other as the Cast are needed for other duties/shows etc. I’ll pass on your feedback to my Manager :)
If we miss out on seeing someone can we ask a person in charge to send them back out?

What is it about working for Disney that is hard?
I really don’t want to get into the details because it would be difficult to do but whatever you perceive it to be it’s probably not that. It wasn’t always rainbows and unicorns.

I loved most aspects of the job and at the same time as with most jobs, was not always a happy camper. Thus the many transfers.

Whenever someone finds out that I was a CM, they think of how much fun it would be. And it was, and I cherish my time there but while feeling that way I also block out the negatives. Again as with most jobs, I sometimes got the short end of the stick on occasion. But I’m a big boy, actually I’m a geezer, and I moved on.

I have so many fond memories and thankful that I stuck it out and was able to retire with some really nice perks.

Let’s just say that it’s not for everyone. I respect all former and current CMs who have stayed with it.

I also encourage anyone who feels it’s a good fit to go for it.

I really don’t want to get into the details because it would be difficult to do but whatever you perceive it to be it’s probably not that. It wasn’t always rainbows and unicorns.

I loved most aspects of the job and at the same time as with most jobs, was not always a happy camper. Thus the many transfers.

Whenever someone finds out that I was a CM, they think of how much fun it would be. And it was, and I cherish my time there but while feeling that way I also block out the negatives. Again as with most jobs, I sometimes got the short end of the stick on occasion. But I’m a big boy, actually I’m a geezer, and I moved on.

I have so many fond memories and thankful that I stuck it out and was able to retire with some really nice perks.

Let’s just say that it’s not for everyone. I respect all former and current CMs who have stayed with it.

I also encourage anyone who feels it’s a good fit to go for it.
Any job working directly with the public, one on one, can be a challenge. Did that for 30 years and although most are civil you have a few who are absolute, well you know!
Fair enough. But I assume that being a princess is different to many other jobs at Disney and maybe easier because it’s just acting right? Most people love the princesses so they are not going to be rude to them. Or am I missing something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter