Current autism accomodations

allykat44

Earning My Ears
Are the parks still providing accommodations for kids with autism? Specifically those that have sensory issues, self regulation issues, difficulties in crowds, and difficulties with patience?

Any specific accommodations I should know about that have helped your family?

If you can explain why the child must wait outside of the normal queue environment, you can request a DAS from Guest Relations inside the first Park you visit on your trip; you only need to get it once per trip, and it will work at all of the parks for the rest of your trip. The DAS offers no benefit outside the Parks (for example at Disney Springs or the Resort hotels).

Doctor's notes are not accepted, and CMs don't want to/can't really accept diagnoses; for example saying "I need a DAS because I (or my family member) have <insert disease/condition name here>" won't help. You have to be able to explain why waiting outside the "regular" queue is helpful.

Not everyone is well-served by the DAS; for example, my condition isn't really helped by using a DAS... rather I choose to use a personal mobility device because that is the best possible solution for me.

Depending on the age of the person, children may also be eligible for a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, however, again, just like with the DAS, the CM will need to know why that accomodation is helpful to the persons' experience.

Many families here employ a lot of different strategies - everything from hoodies and dark glasses, with hearing protection, to bringing along a tablet or other device to help with distraction. Some kids do better riding in a stroller or wheelchair (sometimes with a blanket draped over to create a personal space).

Here's just one thread I found (using the "Search" magnifying glass on the top right of the main DISabilities landing page) that might be helpful:

Need reassurance - child with autism

Disney has this page with helpful information:

"Services for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities"
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities-services/
This "guide of what to expect during our phased reopening", "Tips & Strategies for Families of Individuals with Cognitive Disabilities" is linked off the above page:
https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...services/0720_WDW_Cognitive_Guide_Updated.pdf
And WDW prepared this guide, but it is from before the pandemic so note that there will have been changes due to the strategies they have had to put in place due to the phased reopening: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...bilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_rev.pdf

Depending on when you are planning your visit, I'd pay attention to what is open/not open. There are fewer things in the parks right now, such as no FP+, no live shows, no character meets or meals, no parades, no fireworks, and limited access to QS locations. These have all been important parts of our daily strategy. I understand queues are quite long due to social distancing, spilling out into walkways. I guess what I'm saying is there seems to be less available to help "get away" from the chaos when needed, and less of what might be expected by the child if s/he has any expectations of Disney World. Our family is unlikely to visit until things return to more "normal" experience because we need some of those missing components to help balance the day and avoid meltdowns.

Other then the DAS, there is not really anything specific that Disney does for someone with Autism. My niece is a very high functioning Autistic after a ton of time working with her. And even she has issues with someplace like WDW. It will be loud, crowded, and will require patience. My best suggestion to you is to "work up" to someplace as stimulating at WDW with trips to local amusement parks. Have an extended stay somewhere to see how your child does, etc.

Are the parks still providing accommodations for kids with autism? Specifically those that have sensory issues, self regulation issues, difficulties in crowds, and difficulties with patience?

Hi! Just curious if you went yet or when you're planning on going? My 3 year old is nonverbal autistic and has elopement problems along with many other sensory issues. However, he LOVES rides and music/lights. So, he would LOVE Disney World for that stuff. However, waiting in line will be very difficult for him. So, I will be going to guest relations when I get there and asking about getting a DAS card/magicband notice thing. I also will be asking for a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag bc he will need to remain in his stroller most of the visit to avoid elopement (wandering off). He would have no way to tell anyone who his parents are or any of that (although we do plan on getting him a bracelet or something to help with that). We have never taken him to Disney World but think it will work out fine. Just take lots of breaks and take advantage of baby changing station areas and first aid areas (and any quiet corners). Good luck! I'm curious to hear how others vacations have gone.

Depending on when you are planning your visit, I'd pay attention to what is open/not open. There are fewer things in the parks right now, such as no FP+, no live shows, no character meets or meals, no parades, no fireworks, and limited access to QS locations. These have all been important parts of our daily strategy. I understand queues are quite long due to social distancing, spilling out into walkways. I guess what I'm saying is there seems to be less available to help "get away" from the chaos when needed, and less of what might be expected by the child if s/he has any expectations of Disney World. Our family is unlikely to visit until things return to more "normal" experience because we need some of those missing components to help balance the day and avoid meltdowns.

For us, having no parades, character meet and greets, and fireworks is better bc it's less stuff to scare my son! Talking to my other friends that have been going, they said they've been able to find lots of quiet corners to take breaks. So, I guess it depends on your perspective and what you're doing at the parks.

For us, having no parades, character meet and greets, and fireworks is better bc it's less stuff to scare my son! Talking to my other friends that have been going, they said they've been able to find lots of quiet corners to take breaks. So, I guess it depends on your perspective and what you're doing at the parks.
how is your son doing with wearing masks? he will have to wear one as no exemptions from mask rule and that appears to be here for awhile

how is your son doing with wearing masks? he will have to wear one as no exemptions from mask rule and that appears to be here for awhile
Lots of autistic kids can and do tolerate masks. I don't understand why this is brought up every single time someone mentioned they are bringing an autistic person to WDW. Many kids (especially those in special education classrooms) have been wearing masks at school for hours every day.

We were there in November and our 5 year old wore his mask for 8 hours or more each day, except when eating.

Lots of autistic kids can and do tolerate masks. I don't understand why this is brought up every single time someone mentioned they are bringing an autistic person to WDW. Many kids (especially those in special education classrooms) have been wearing masks at school for hours every day.

We were there in November and our 5 year old wore his mask for 8 hours or more each day, except when eating.
because so many ask about them not having to wear them

I get it if that's what they're asking, but to reiterate it on every post seems excessive.

Disability advocates always tell you to "presume competence."
my small park is looking at spring opening and we have at least one special needs worker who will not be returning for second season because she will not wear mask. again this year she is complaining because no exception is being made for special needs. ps she is a very high functioning and most of her friends keep telling her to fight it because she is special needs but the park has held firm. so yes "presume competence" but sometimes that does not work. also a number of the special needs classes inmy area try to keep masks on but do not send child home if it gets to be too much so I am not sure how school always helps

Given his level of autism, he refuses to put anything on his face period. He panics when we just wipe his face off after eating. He’s completely nonverbal (doesn’t even sign). He doesn’t understand any of what’s going on. Where we are in Maryland, they don’t require a face covering unless they’re 5 years or older. We’ve tried anyway to get him used to one and he rips it off as soon as it touches his face. So we are praying and hoping things are good enough by November that we either won’t need one or they’ll raise the age required to wear one. I totally understand why we need them! I’m all for them! In fact, we never leave the house and have barely left the house since February 2020. We get all groceries delivered and my husband works 100% from home. So I get it, but I have friends that have typical 2 year olds and they also refuse to wear a mask. And I can’t explain to my little man why he has to bc he doesn’t understand.

Sooo, here’s our plan... we might’ve convinced our mom to go with us to Disney World. If masks are still required at that time (end of November), we will take turns playing at the hotel with him while everyone else goes and has fun. It isn’t ideal, but it’s what we might have to do. The only caveat to this is if Covid is still as bad as it is now in November, we are gonna cancel our trip anyway. We are being positive and doing positive thinking that things are going to improve significantly and we can take this trip! If it doesn’t work, then so be it.

My son refuses to have anything on his face and is unable to attend in person school due to Covid. So he’s home 24/7. We have tried to get him used to one and he panics and removes it immediately. He also refuses to wear the noise canceling headphones bc he doesn’t like anything on his ears either. So this is a valid question in my opinion!

We were there Friday to Sunday in the parks. Saw CMs telling people who were not properly wearing mask to put on correctly. This included children who were small- They were all levels of CMs including the street cleaner on Main Street- for someone with mask off taking pictures.

I realize not disability related but does show no exceptions. I was highly impressed seeing so many younger disabled children wearing masks better than adults!

From what I have seen, SeaWorld/Bush Gardens parks have been doing a far better job at this by providing "quiet rooms" and other sensory information at every attraction, etc.

Dollywood also does an extremely good job with this, looking at the accommodations Disney does provide (even on a normal basis), I would put them near the bottom of the list for theme parks providing accommodations for those with Autism. Just my observations though, your mileage may vary.

We were there Friday to Sunday in the parks. Saw CMs telling people who were not properly wearing mask to put on correctly. This included children who were small- They were all levels of CMs including the street cleaner on Main Street- for someone with mask off taking pictures.

I realize not disability related but does show no exceptions. I was highly impressed seeing so many younger disabled children wearing masks better than adults!

That’s fantastic!!! I love that they are sticking with the policy and pushing it (as they should). I just know my toddler would never wear one. That’s why we are waiting for late November to go. We are working with him on getting used to masks while staying positive that Covid will get better!

Sooo, here’s our plan... we might’ve convinced our mom to go with us to Disney World. If masks are still required at that time (end of November), we will take turns playing at the hotel with him while everyone else goes and has fun. It isn’t ideal, but it’s what we might have to do. The only caveat to this is if Covid is still as bad as it is now in November, we are gonna cancel our trip anyway. We are being positive and doing positive thinking that things are going to improve significantly and we can take this trip! If it doesn’t work, then so be it.

Keep in mind that the mask policy also applies in the public areas [including inside the hotels except in your room] at the hotels too. There are some exceptions for the pool areas and while dining.

So he'd need to be able to tolerate the mask at least to get to/from the hotel room if the policy is still in place at the time of your trip.

Hopefully things have settled down enough that some of the public health measures are able to be safely relaxed by the time your trip comes around. Good luck !!

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter