Curious who doesn’t use their Palo platinum benefit?

xiphoid76

DIS Veteran
My husband and I have been platinum for awhile now and just don’t like Palo - it’s just not for us. Got us thinking - how many people do not use this benefit for platinum members? Are we that odd? Wish they would offer something different instead :)

We have been Platnuim for awhile also and have been to PALO's many times. We were just on a November cruise and decided not to go to PALO's The last few times we have done brunch but since they no longer have the buffet portion of the brunch we felt it really wasn't worth spending so much time at PALO's and then not really being Hungary for dinner. Also we didn't feel like packing the extra clothes needed to attend PALO's.

Yeah I told my husband I don’t need to go either but he says it is our perk why not go. We even did brunch on our last cruise and wasn’t that impressed either. We don’t eat out at really fancy restaurants at home , I think that is why he likes going. I just feel uncomfortable .

We don’t go. We went a few times before platinum with friends. But since becoming platinum 20 cruises ago, we no longer go. we are not foodies and find the dining rooms adequate for us. Plus we rarely pack any fancy clothes anymore. We may have to go one day now that my daughter, SIL and granddaughters are platinum. One granddaughter is18 now. The other will be 16, so had to wait a couple of years.

I don't like to miss the MDR often, so I usually do brunch but skip it at times on shorter cruises. It is a nice perk, but I don't need to use it every time. I am doing a B2B2B in a few months, so I will be doing a dinner and a brunch.

We don't always go; we skipped it on the couple shorter cruises we've been on. Now that they moved to the prix fixe menu it costs us a little more to go to dinner and my husband is not fond of brunch so we skipped it last time as well. I do have it booked for our cruise in April.

We never skip Palo brunch or dinner it’s a favorite of ours. Mine particularly because I have food allergies (gluten) and they are so accommodating and will make items specifically for me. The main dining rooms can be hit or miss for me on my GF entrees whereas palo is always delicious.

We skipped it on the Wish. I am not enthralled with the steakhouse menu and the more limited Italian options as well as the limited fixed price menu. I might have been interested in the brunch but it was booked. I prefer the buffet option for the brunch but the menu still looked good but we booked our cruise at the last minute so nothing was available.

What a waste guys! You know you can use your credit to get drinks right?!

Last cruise we had dinner in the MDR and I used my $45 credit for drinks and dessert at Palo.
Since when? Have you done this several times? Sounds interesting.

We use every other cruise.

Last edited:
What a waste guys! You know you can use your credit to get drinks right?!

Last cruise we had dinner in the MDR and I used my $45 credit for drinks and dessert at Palo.
Good to know. I thought alcohol wouldn't be allowed toward the credit. Thanks.

We’ve used it every time. Before my children were able to use their perk (under18), my husband and I used it for brunch a couple of times. We preferred dinner.

But now that brunch is no longer a buffet, we actually liked the brunch as much as the dinner. We had brunch on the Wish this past Christmas holiday, and we thought it was the best brpunch we’ve had at Palo. We’re in the minority in that we prefer the new way - no Buffet.

It's only "free" if you don't tip. There have been years when we've done multiple cruises like four in a year and didn't feel like spending the extra. We've also done some Cruise/ WDW combos where we brought on our own alcohol and didn't spend a dime extra.

I love Palo and I would say we've done it about 70% of the time. Over the last decade we have traveled a lot. I've tended to be more frugal about extras that weren't necessary. Now that my kids are in college and our family vacations may slim down to once a year maybe I'll go all out and even get a massage or two .

Reactions: lae
We’ve used it every time. Before my children were able to use their perk (under18), my husband and I used it for brunch a couple of times. We preferred dinner.

But now that brunch is no longer a buffet, we actually liked the brunch as much as the dinner. We had brunch on the Wish this past Christmas holiday, and we thought it was the best brpunch we’ve had at Palo. We’re in the minority in that we prefer the new way - no Buffet.
I prefer the new way as well. I like not having the buffet.

We were very fortunate to experience brunch on the Wish and also thought it was the best one out of the five ships and many cruises.

We always skip Palo since they won't let our tween go with us. All 4 of us are platinums but I do not book vacations for time away from him, but to make memories. We don't mind when he enjoys Edge, but we don't enjoy excluding him just to eat food. I am happy to leave the spots for the people who will love being there.

I always go since it’s a perk.

If they changed that perk to say, $50 OBC to spend on whatever I’d probably do Palo about 50% of the time. I really enjoy the meal, dinner more than brunch.

Thanks for the responses, I don't feel so odd now :) We are not foodies - I am more of a kid's meal kind of guy, so the food was never something we cared for. Don't drink alcohol either. I know, we are weird. Plus, also didn't want to spend extra money (tipping the Palo staff), or dress up. Didn't think of going up there for dessert, but since we do late seating it would be closer to 10 PM and not sure if they are open then. Would love if they gave us the option of doing something instead of Palo.

Thanks for the responses, I don't feel so odd now :) We are not foodies - I am more of a kid's meal kind of guy, so the food was never something we cared for. Don't drink alcohol either. I know, we are weird. Plus, also didn't want to spend extra money (tipping the Palo staff), or dress up. Didn't think of going up there for dessert, but since we do late seating it would be closer to 10 PM and not sure if they are open then. Would love if they gave us the option of doing something instead of Palo.
My husband and I don't drink alcohol either...The most we drink is the wine they offer during "Anyone Can Cook".

But we do love the food. But I don't think it's odd that you don't want to use the perk. If it's was a wine tasting or something to that effect, my husband and I wouldn't be using it. It's a matter of choice. But I do agree that, perhaps, DCL could offer a substitute for those who don't want to dine at Palo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter