Cuba Cruises -- Anyone Done one?

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
I see that NCL and Carnival are offering 4 and 5 night cruises to Havana. NCL has the better itinerary since it stays almost two days in Havana.

We are waiting to see if they open up options in 2018 since our travel this year is planned out. But curious if anyone has done it and what you thought?

Thanks.

I see that NCL and Carnival are offering 4 and 5 night cruises to Havana. NCL has the better itinerary since it stays almost two days in Havana.

We are waiting to see if they open up options in 2018 since our travel this year is planned out. But curious if anyone has done it and what you thought?

Thanks.

This should of been included in your thread what do you hope for when the rest of 2018 is released. As we all know it's not going to happen on DCL anytime soon. We can all hope

In a sad way I'm chuckling about this. We have friends that recently went on a cruise around Cuba. I heard they had a great time other than the heart attack he suffered toward the end of the voyage. Thankfully he lived and is now recovering at home. I wish I had more information to offer about what they say and did.

This should of been included in your thread what do you hope for when the rest of 2018 is released. As we all know it's not going to happen on DCL anytime soon. We can all hope

I changed the title. No, if I was hoping that Disney would do it I would have gone on the DCL forum. I don't see them ever doing this in the near future. I was just looking for people who have done it and what they thought.

No I haven't but I'm very interested in doing one. I have two couple friends that are going to Cuba next week and one in May. They are flying in and staying on the island for 5 days. I can't wait to hear from them.

No we've not as yet. If it were on a RCCL or with Celebrity Cruise Line then I'd be very interested. :)

No we've not as yet. If it were on a RCCL or with Celebrity Cruise Line then I'd be very interested. :)

RCCL is now showing Cuba cruises on their website. Each line has a different way of approaching -- some are including a stop at Key West or Cozumel or their island, but only give you about one day there. NCL is the only one I have seen that is staying more than one day.

Just not interested in going there - never been, but too much back history to dear friends to explain here.

We'd like to see the "old Cuba" before they modernize it. Cuba was an integral part of both my DH and my youth as we lived through the turmoil with them in the 60's -- and I was living in Miami at the time so it was very scary.

I personally haven't gone, but being Canadian many friends and relatives have. It is a very popular sun destination for Canadians given that we never had a embargo against Cuba. I've have friends stay ate resorts like those in Mexico and my Aunt recently did an art and architecture tour of Cuba.

RCC now has 4, 5, and 7 day cruises to Havana (among other interesting stops). I've never been on a cruise before, but I love the idea of getting to experience Cuba and Cozumel without actually staying there. The only thing is that it looks like the cruise ships that go there are pretty small. Is a small ship a bad idea for a first timer who's claustrophobic?

RCC now has 4, 5, and 7 day cruises to Havana (among other interesting stops). I've never been on a cruise before, but I love the idea of getting to experience Cuba and Cozumel without actually staying there. The only thing is that it looks like the cruise ships that go there are pretty small. Is a small ship a bad idea for a first timer who's claustrophobic?

I didn't see any 7-day, but my problem with RCCL and Carnival's cruises to Cuba is they stay one day in Havana. Carnival says "overnight" but they actually leave at 6 a.m. the next morning and since it is a people-to-people cruise, I can't imagine anyone getting off on their own to roam the city at nighttime unless you are with an excursion. RCCL and Carnival do not have dates open for later 2018. NCL actually stays in Havana two days (docking at 8 a.m. first day and leaving 5 p.m. the second day) and then goes to their island (it would be nice to see someone else's island for a change). I've been to Cozumel. I'd love to do the RCCL itinerary that includes Key West, but again I'd lose a day in Havana. Havana is more important to us than seeing anything else.

As far as being a smaller ship, it appears that RCCL and Carnival are using their older smaller vessels for Cuba. We booked for November 2018 on the NCL Sky (former Pride of Aloha). This ship is not small by any means and carries 2000 passengers. Granted, this itinerary is a pricy venture since I guess they have high port fees, etc. NCL does includes ALL drinks for this sailing, but upped your daily gratuity to include bartenders, but this is a unique cruise and an exciting experience and we get the extra day in Havana. The cabins are much smaller than we are used to, so we did book a balcony since it was only $300 more and there are three of us in the cabin. We can't wait.

Last edited:
I didn't see any 7-day, but my problem with RCCL and Carnival's cruises to Cuba is they stay one day in Havana. Carnival says "overnight" but they actually leave at 6 a.m. the next morning and since it is a people-to-people cruise, I can't imagine anyone getting off on their own to roam the city at nighttime unless you are with an excursion. RCCL and Carnival do not have dates open for later 2018. NCL actually stays in Havana two days (docking at 8 a.m. first day and leaving 5 p.m. the second day) and then goes to their island (it would be nice to see someone else's island for a change). I've been to Cozumel. I'd love to do the RCCL itinerary that includes Key West, but again I'd lose a day in Havana. Havana is more important to us than seeing anything else.

As far as being a smaller ship, it appears that RCCL and Carnival are using their older smaller vessels for Cuba. We booked for November 2018 on the NCL Sky (former Pride of Aloha). This ship is not small by any means and carries 2000 passengers. Granted, this itinerary is a pricy venture since I guess they have high port fees, etc. NCL does includes ALL drinks for this sailing, but upped your daily gratuity to include bartenders, but this is a unique cruise and an exciting experience and we get the extra day in Havana. The cabins are much smaller than we are used to, so we did book a balcony since it was only $300 more and there are three of us in the cabin. We can't wait.

RCCL has some 5 nights that overnight in Cuba, docking at 1:00pm and leaves at 8:00pm the next night. Just a random check shows the December 4 sailing, for example. I have been told the 2018 Cuba itineraries will be out maybe in May. Anyway, you are allowed to create your own excursions outside of the cruise line's excursions, but you must have documentation of this people-to-people activity and retain it for at least 5 years. You can't just get off the ship and go to the beach.

RCCL has some 5 nights that overnight in Cuba, docking at 1:00pm and leaves at 8:00pm the next night. Just a random check shows the December 4 sailing, for example. I have been told the 2018 Cuba itineraries will be out maybe in May. Anyway, you are allowed to create your own excursions outside of the cruise line's excursions, but you must have documentation of this people-to-people activity and retain it for at least 5 years. You can't just get off the ship and go to the beach.

Yes, we were told if we go off on our own we must keep an activity diary and it must include art and history visits. We are also required to get Visas, which the ship will do for us for a fee.

Here's the 7 night RCC cruise if you're interested. Only one day at Havana and a lot of time at sea... RCC does have a couple overnights at Havana now. I'm really thinking about doing the 5 night to Key West, Havana, and Cozumel- very excited and a little nervous since I'm not sure I'll like cruising.

I've been interested in the 4-5 day cruises that Royal is offering, which includes Havana and Key West. But it's on one of Royal's smallest ships which I'm not crazy about, because we're used to the Oasis class ships now. That said, the price is right and I do think it would be cool to visit a place that most Americans haven't had the opportunity to go to before. We don't know anyone who's been before.

I've been interested in the 4-5 day cruises that Royal is offering, which includes Havana and Key West. But it's on one of Royal's smallest ships which I'm not crazy about, because we're used to the Oasis class ships now. That said, the price is right and I do think it would be cool to visit a place that most Americans haven't had the opportunity to go to before. We don't know anyone who's been before.

We don't either -- my friend and husband are sailing on NCL in October of this, so I'll get a first-hand report. We're excited to go before they turn it into a tourist trap -- which will take years, but we all know how it goes when conglomerates start digging in. Interested to see what their port is like. I can't compare pricing or itineraries between the lines since NCL is the only one that has 2018 open right now. I will keep an eye on the others to see what their pricing and itineraries are. Right now RCCL seems to be getting in during some itineraries at 11:30 a.m. and leaving the next morning, so that's not a full day either.

:goodvibes No - not a bad idea at all; even the smallest cruise ships are probably bigger than anything you can imagine. As a PP mentioned, they carry thousands of people. The difference will be in the on-board amenities and entertainment such as rock walls, surf parks and water slides, ice rinks, 3D movie theatres, Cirque shows and so forth. You will get a much more "classic" cruise experience on a smaller ship where traditional fine dining several times a day, Vegas-style showroom entertainment and sipping cocktails by the pool were paramount. Which is just fine, considering the destination is the major draw on a cruise to Cuba. :sail:

:goodvibes No - not a bad idea at all; even the smallest cruise ships are probably bigger than anything you can imagine. As a PP mentioned, they carry thousands of people. The difference will be in the on-board amenities and entertainment such as rock walls, surf parks and water slides, ice rinks, 3D movie theatres, Cirque shows and so forth. You will get a much more "classic" cruise experience on a smaller ship where traditional fine dining several times a day, Vegas-style showroom entertainment and sipping cocktails by the pool were paramount. Which is just fine, considering the destination is the major draw on a cruise to Cuba. :sail:

Well put. Think of them as the Disney Classic ships before the water slide -- smaller, quaint and just one show a night plus maybe a comedy club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter