CSR illiterate....please explain Pepper Market

jazz0007

DIS Veteran
I'm sorry if this is buried in one of the long CSR posts....I tried to page through them.

We are staying at the CSR for the first time this week. I have seen a few comments about the automatic gratuity added for counter service?? Can someone tell me more details about this??

What is it in more detail?
How does it work with free dining??

Thanks!:worship:

We have always stayed at Coronado and I don't remember getting charged gratuity for counter service. We usually ate at the Pepper Market each night bc it counts as quick service but you still get a waiter for drinks and such.

Free dining meansyou don't pay forthe dining plan. However, gratuity is never included in the plan.

Pepper Market isn't the typical "food court" you find in the Values or other Mods. You are seated by a hostess, then a server greets you and takes your drink orders and gives you a menu and an ordering card. There are several different "stations" in the kitchen area, each offering different made-to-order items. You place your order, the CM at the station stamps your card with what you chose. You wait for the food to be prepared, then sit and eat. Your server will refill your drinks and brings you your bill and you pay the server like at a sit-down restaurant, but it's technically counter-service. You get the same entitlements like you would at any other CS: drink, entrée/combo, dessert. The last time we stayed at CSR and used the DDP, we did pay the gratuity in cash.

Hope this helps!

The gratuity is automatically added to your bill at the Pepper Market. I think the gratuity is not entirely earned in this situation. I don't considered it a true sit down lunch and/or dinner type meal. The only thing the server actually does is bring your drinks and refills if needed. They also clean the table after your are finished eating. You go around the food stations and select and wait for your food to be completed to take back to your table. During our stay in January, we were not even offered refills by the server. I would prefer to get my own drink since I am already up getting my food. It is my understanding that you can get the food to go and not be charged a gratuity.

Thank you everyone. So if the gratuity is automatically added....how does that work with free dining? I'm sorry....I'm just not getting it! LOL

jazz0007 said:
Thank you everyone. So if the gratuity is automatically added....how does that work with free dining? I'm sorry....I'm just not getting it! LOL

Free Dining just means you don't pay for the Dining Plan. With the Dining Plan, gratuities are not included at any restaurant. You have to pay all gratuities out of pocket.

You pay the gratuity. You also pay the gratuity at any other table service restaurant you might eat at. For our family it was worth the 10%. There was no walking around looking for a table, they refilled our drinks and kept them full, got more napkins, brought utensils when my kids dropped them. I found it to be a pleasant food court experience.

The gratuity is automatically added to your bill at the Pepper Market. I think the gratuity is not entirely earned in this situation. I don't considered it a true sit down lunch and/or dinner type meal. The only thing the server actually does is bring your drinks and refills if needed. They also clean the table after your are finished eating. You go around the food stations and select and wait for your food to be completed to take back to your table. During our stay in January, we were not even offered refills by the server. I would prefer to get my own drink since I am already up getting my food. It is my understanding that you can get the food to go and not be charged a gratuity.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who feels the same way! We had our meal "to go" and ate outside without having to pay for gratuity. I sure hope that they change the set up. I'm not crazy about the Cafe Rix cause that was chaotic. Everybody wanted a grab and go offer and with our refillable mugs, we frequented the Cafe more than anywhere. Sorry not a fan. JMHO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter