Crying Child

tinkymom

Earning My Ears
Disneedad and I returned from our wonderful trip last week, and I had a great time enjoying all the little ones having a good time at WDW. However, we noticed that because of the heat, stress and just plain "tiredness" that WDW can cause, we often saw cranky, crying and stressed out children.

We found that the package of six (6) Mickey Lollipops were reasonably priced at $3.50. We bought some to carry with us throughout the park. Disneedaughter would hand them out (with the parent's permission - always ask first!) to a child who needed some confort. One who was too short to ride Star Tours had to sit while his older brother got to ride and was upset. Another one was upset at Tough to Be a Bug. We got a kick out of seeing their face light up with this simple idea!

Tinkymom

What a wonderful gesture! I am leaving 12/3 and will do the same thing. (thanks for the idea) I don't like seeing upset children in WDW!!:bounce:

AWESOME!!!! It's the small RAOK (Random Acts of Kindness) that can make or break the experience for people. I have a 5YO and we have more stickers at home than one little guy could possibly use in his lifetime! I always keep a package in my purse for situations like this at home, what a good idea to help out in WDW!!! We parents need to stick together!! ;)

What a thoughtful thing to do! Thanks for posting your great idea!

I have left over Dum Dum pops ( gotta love those 100 per bag ) from DD's birthday party ( last weekend ) i will throw those in my suitcase ! Thanks what a great idea . Michelle

I just wanted to bump this up and add something. My kids are rarely 'out of control' or allowed to become so tired that they would be inconsoleable. However, when it does happen it seems that no amount of attention from Mom and Dad helps. Some kind stranger offering a DumDum can save a day and I just want to say "THANKS" to all of you. I'm going to be sure I have a pack full myself for my kiddies to pass around.

Thanks again!!! :D

Great idea!

Last trip, I saw a little girl crying at BB. She had a minor injury, her dad was taking care of her beautifully. Still, add a little sleepiness to a minor injury and it's a big deal to the kid. I always keep a couple of Minnie Mouse bandaids in my wallet. I handed the dad a bandaid and told the little girl it was from Mickey Mouse. She stopped crying.

Sometimes I get cranky too. I taught dd (9) a funny voice and told her when I get cranky, use the funny voice and say, "Relaaaaaaaaaax." It always works! I smile and feel better.

S

I just got back tonight about 5pm and I saved the day with the
"dumdum" trick on our trip out of Boston on 11/29 !! 3yr old i would guess had trouble sitting in her car seat during boarding and take off, we were a few rows back and i handed it up after catching the mother's eye with it , it didn't work for about 3 or 4 minutes but then it was peacefullly quite and the entire plane thanked me ~~ Hee Hee , Never leave home with out at least 4 in my bag~ Michelle

Cool Idea!! I'll add those left over Halloween DumDum's to my bag for our trip to DL!! Usually it is Dh who is able to distract the little ones with his Donald Duck voice and Donald Duck sneezes!!

It stops tears!! Dh works in an HMO pedicatric office where he gets lots of practise bringing smiles to little ones who have had their shots. One of the Mom's told me of her childs visit where Dh did his Donald Duck for her child. She said her child remembers Dh talking like Donald Duck and talks about it often. It is a favorite memory.

Now I can help,too,with a DumDum!

I love this idea and will get some lollipops on my next trip but can someone please tell me what a DumDum is? I live in England I have never heard of them perhaps we call them something else :confused:

dumdum is a brand of sucker looks like a tootsie pop with no tootsie

I think this is a GREAT idea. I also feel very sorry for those kids who are just obviously over tired.

But....what ever happened to "don't take candy from a stranger?" I know that everyone is very well meaning, but, honestly, if someone came up to my kid and offered candy, I'd be a little leary.

Does anyone else worry about that??

Yes - please always remember to either catch the eye of the parent, or ask permission of the parent before offering. You don't know - maybe the child cannot eat candy. The parent should ALWAYS give permission to the child to take the treat, no matter what it is. This protects you, and the child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter