Crutches, scooter or wheelchair?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
In a cruel twist of fate, I've sprained my foot quite badly and have been ordered to stay off of it for at least 3 weeks ... and of course my trip to Disney is on Friday! I'm in a walking boot, but have been told to stay off the foot as much as possible, so looking for other options. Considering a kneel-on scooter or crutches first. Anyone have experience using these in the parks? Suggestions as to which is easier to get around on? Thankful for any tips and suggestions you may have!

A wheelchair is also an option, but I'd like to avoid making my friends push me if at all possible!

I probably can, but I don't trust myself as a driver, lol. That seems a bit more unwieldy? But open to it if that is the best option.

I rented an off-site ECV for A Touch of Disney. I got it a day early as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to drive it well but it was really easy to handle. The hardest part was not giving myself whiplash by letting go of the "accelerator" too quickly. That and stopping when people would walk RIGHT in front of me without looking. I highly recommend it - it made the day so much easier.

Had a broken foot a few years ago and spent some time with all of those options in various places. No question, I'd choose the ECV. The knee scooter will get uncomfortable after a while, the crutches will be worse, and driving yourself on a scooter is easier than being pushed in a chair.

Had a broken foot a few years ago and spent some time with all of those options in various places. No question, I'd choose the ECV. The knee scooter will get uncomfortable after a while, the crutches will be worse, and driving yourself on a scooter is easier than being pushed in a chair.

Agree! I did the knee scooter for quite a while after ankle surgery but if I had a major vacation I'd be doing a ECV. I had to use a knee walker on a cruise and it was brutal. I would never even consider it at Disney.

Wheelchair or EVC. You don't want to make your injury worse with crutches or a knee scooter. Those require mobility in a place with uneven pavement and curbs. You need completely take the gravity factor away in that type of environment. You can always park a wheelchair or EVC and walk a short distance and then it's there for you to take off the pressure on your injury in order to heal.

I rented an ECV in a similar situation a few years ago. They are very easy to drive and I was SO glad that I did. I definitely recommend them. Got mine from Deckerts they deliver to the hotel.

I would rent an ECV before the visit to try it out in a less crowded area. Based on how many people ride them at DL and how good they are at stopping/navigating, I think they may be easier to drive than you are imagining. If you don't want to use one of those, a wheelchair and have some type of crutches for when you do have to stand/walk. Just keep in mind that people may not get out of your way if you are on crutches and that can be very challenging.

My mom needed a wheelchair or ECV when we took her with us once. She was 80 and tired easily. We first rented an ECV, but she was scared to death she was going to hurt someone (she never quite got the hang of driving it, and to be fair, hers had a "hair trigger" drive thingy. We all tried it and it was hard to use; gradual acceleration was not easy to achieve on it). We were going to switch it out for a different one but she refused to use it again, so we got a Disney wheelchair instead. She was very happy with it and it worked well for us, but I will say this: there are a lot more slopes in DLR than I thought. My arms were so sore and it wore me out pushing her around all day. My advice is to get an ECV but make sure it's an easy one to drive. Also, don't forget to charge it at night.

Definitely rent an ECV , Camelot Inn across the street has them for rent as well as Deckert's will bring to the hotel I believe still as long as you are there.
I'm recovering from an achilles tendon severe inflammation in a walking boot until late August at best and still plan to use an ECV for my Sept. 9th - 15th trip to be safe.

They really are super easy to manuever and I have had dual carpal tunnel surgeries.

My mom needed a wheelchair or ECV when we took her with us once. She was 80 and tired easily. We first rented an ECV, but she was scared to death she was going to hurt someone (she never quite got the hang of driving it, and to be fair, hers had a "hair trigger" drive thingy. We all tried it and it was hard to use; gradual acceleration was not easy to achieve on it). We were going to switch it out for a different one but she refused to use it again, so we got a Disney wheelchair instead. She was very happy with it and it worked well for us, but I will say this: there are a lot more slopes in DLR than I thought. My arms were so sore and it wore me out pushing her around all day. My advice is to get an ECV but make sure it's an easy one to drive. Also, don't forget to charge it at night.
Oh yes. The slopes are terrible with a stroller too.

Another vote for ECV. I had to push my DD in a wheelchair in WDW once (no one is going to rent a scooter to a 10-year old, lol). I was EXHAUSTED by the end of every day. My husband uses an ECV on all of our Disney trips--the ones you can rent off-site are MUCH easier to manage than the park rentals, and if you rent off-site you can drive it to and from your hotel. We rented from Select Mobility on our trip in July, and they delivered right to our hotel--super easy and the scooter was in great shape.

You can drive the ECV into all the lines in DCA, which is awesome. It's typically just a couple of steps into the ride from where they'll have you leave the scooter. In DL, you'll have to get return times at most rides (although they may just direct you straight to the exit of the Fantasyland rides if the lines aren't too long). It's actually pretty great--you can get a snack or do some shopping while you wait for your time to open.

I would suggest an ECV as well, but if you are staying at any of the nearby hotels, rent offsite, I would recommend Select Mobility, they are much easier to use and cheaper. Another good option for offsite rentals is Moving Mobility America, both of these companies provide about the same level of customer service and quality of equipment. Select Mobility just edges them out a little because they are physically located right across the street from Disneyland at the Best Western.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter