Cruising with asthma

DisneyPandaBear

Earning My Ears
Looking for recent experiences cruising with asthma and any precautions taken to reduce triggers specifically in room.

My 3yo has asthma and when we traveled on the Wish this year had an attack the first night.

We obviously will have all the meds and equipment with us for the treatment plan and know calling med is an option too. Looking for what we should request if there are options to help eliminate possible triggers on our next cruise in early 24.

Appreciate any shares.

What are his/her triggers? That would help folks guide their suggestions.

But generally-speaking — I suggest you contact DCL Special Services (407) 566-3602) to ask about possibility of a deep clean for your stateroom. I have not heard if DCL does this but I know it’s possible at WDW resorts.

Depending on triggers…
  • Avoid the smoking areas on your ship
  • Request unscented linens and towels
  • Choice of destination and/or time of year if weather or humidity are triggers
  • Make sure he/she is flagged for the Club/Lab and emergency inhaler or meds are dropped off with the child and the CMs know how to administer (and be sure to collect that emergency pack when you pick-up the child)

Much will depend on what the potential triggers are. Dust ? Feathers ? Pollens ? Frangrances ?

There are things you can do, and there things you can get DCL's assistance with via DCL Special Services (see https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/ and phone (407) 566-3602 ).

This to consider that you can do:

- work with your child's healthcare team to determine if there are medication adjustments that may be needed, and to identify potential triggers and how to avoid them.

- Depending on the triggers, bring a portable HEPA purifier for the room (the one I current travel with is a Levoit LV-H128 Desktop True HEPA Air Purifier (https://levoit.com/products/lvh128-desktop-true-hepa-air-purifier) which I can fit in a carry-on suitcase with room for other things - which it is underpowered for a room in terms of what the ideal CADR would be, it does an ok job and anything larger would not fit in a carryon). NOTE: DCL allows an air purifier, however when you board you will have to take it to Guest Services and give it to them to have it inspected/approved by the Chief Engineer; they will bring it back to your stateroom a few hours later.

- Depending on the triggers, bring an allergen barrier for the bed. There are a few ways to do this. For all of them, be aware of the potential for bed bugs - you're putting something on the bed and then bringing it home, so you want to ensure it is stored in good bags when coming home (I put the ones I use in double Ziploc bags after inspecting the item before putting it in... also, all of the options are bright white, which makes identifying issues easier) and washed properly.

- bring an allergen mattress protector. Mission Allergy makes very nice travel ones that are a fitted style (https://www.missionallergy.com/product/fitted-travel-mattress-encasings). I've used this in a few different ways: (1) over top the bedding (i.e. on top of the duvet, and then use a blanket to sleep with; or (2) over the fitted sheep, then sleep under the duvet/blanket.

- bring an allergy sleep sac. Allerease makes a great sleep sac that is also an allergen barrier (https://shop.americantextile.com/products/allerease-travel-sleep-sack) and its hot water washable. Its 42" x 93" so is easy to use on a twin or larger bed. I've used it on top of the bedding (including on top of the above mattress protector or just on top of the duvet/blanket), as well as in the bedding (sometimes hotel rooms just get COLD......). Although not as complete a barrier as the mattress protector, I find it does a pretty good job, and it is much more portable/easier to use in more situations, so can be used on its own or it + pillow protector very well.

One of the most important things I bring are allergen PILLOW PROTECTORS. I like Mission Allergy's Premium Microfibre Allergen-Proof Shams (https://www.missionallergy.com/product/microfiber-allergen-proof-shams). They use the same fabric as their premium microfibre pillow encasements, which are what I use at home (and which in my experience of 40 years of trying many many different encasements are the best). The advantage of the Shams is that it is obvious they do NOT belong to the hotel/cruise line since they don't look like a pillowcase. I use King size ones, that way they will fit on whatever size I may encounter when traveling. I bring four, because I want them for the pillow I sleep on as well as other ones on the bed. Even if ALL I do is have pillow protectors, they make a massive difference in my sleeping in a bed that is not my own. It is the first accommodation I did for myself when traveling. While for me it alone is not enough, its impact is still significant.

Another thing to do is to ensure a bath/shower is taken at night before going to bed, especially ensuring hair is washed or at the very least rinsed well. This gets pollens and other allergens out of the hair and off the body so one doesn't spend the night sleeping with a head full of e.g. pollen.

Things DCL can do:

Once you have a cruise booked, reach out to DCL Special Services and have a conversation with them about your concerns and needs and how they may be able to help.

If things like severe dust and environemtal allergies are an issue, DCL can do a special cleaning of the stateoom. DCL special services can discuss with you what would be helpful as there are various things they can do depending on needs.

If something like fragrances or specific cleaning products are a concern, DCL has some alternate cleaning methods available for the stateroom, low/no fragrance cleaning products, etc.

If the laundry detergent for the sheets and towels is thought to be an issue, DCL has some options, such as an extra rinse.

DCL can remove the toiletries from the room (I found they bothered me on our last cruise now that they are in the containers on the wall in the shower and we will ask they remove them entirely on our next cruise; in the past we just put them under the sink, and that is what we did for the containers that were not attached).

All DCL cruise ships have a disctinctive smell. I am pretty sure that in at least some of the public areas there is a fragrance that is put into the air. All of our clothes (well, anything fabric) smell of this scent after we cruise, even things like PJs that are only used in the stateroom.

You can make a request that no air freshners be used in your stateroom.

I've gotten conflicting info on whether DCL uses feather/down products, so I always rewuest no down/no feathers in the stateroom.

Hope this helps. Feel free to DM if you want.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter