• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruises from Manhattan?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
For the cruises leaving from Manhattan, any suggestions regarding where to stay the night before?

Thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

I live in Arizona so I would love someone to answer the op question. I am thinking of going with one of the places I can book through dcl. Not that I know what these are

Many questions before I can offer a good suggestion.

Do you just want a cheap place to lay your head and not miss the cruise?

What airport are you thinking of flying into?

Do you need to be close to the port due to mobility issues or other special needs?

Do you want to be in the hustle and bustle of Times Square?

Do you want to get in early and see the city and just have a nice place to lay your head then get up and go to the port?

I agree with above but I will throw out that you can stay right across the Hudson River from the port in the Weehawken, NJ area and it may be less money per night than Manhattan but you will have to take a ferry across the river. The ferry (NYWaterways.com) goes from Weehawken (about 7 minute ride) to Manhattan about 2 blocks from the ship. The views of Manhattan from the NJ side of the river are spectacular.

There is also a Planning Thread with some info that could be helpful...link below:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/new-york-2016-cruises-planning-info-thread-nyc.3413090/

MJ

We did the NY to Atlantic Canada cruise in 2012. All 3 of the DCL recommended hotels were in Times Square. We stayed at the Westin and the location was perfect for seeing shows etc. There are some slightly cheaper hotels in the same area so I would check discount websites. I would say not to waste your money on the DXL transportation to the port if you are staying in that area. It was only a few blocks but it took forever since we had to go to the other DCL hotels on the way. A taxi would have ended up being faster and cheaper.

We are staying at Ink48 in Hell's Kitchen, it's walking distance to the cruise terminal.

We are 90 miles away in Southern NJ. Visiting NYC can be done anytime for us, so being there isn't anything special.

I certainly wouldn't be flying to NYC. Probably get a shuttle of some kind to get there.

We have always gotten to our cruises (when out of Florida) the night before and stayed in the area so departure day isn't a rush. Even though we are less than 2 hours away, I'm still afraid of arriving at the port straight from home.

Am I wrong? Should we just head north to NYC the morning of departure?

---Paul in Southern NJ

We are 90 miles away in Southern NJ. Visiting NYC can be done anytime for us, so being there isn't anything special.

I certainly wouldn't be flying to NYC. Probably get a shuttle of some kind to get there.

We have always gotten to our cruises (when out of Florida) the night before and stayed in the area so departure day isn't a rush. Even though we are less than 2 hours away, I'm still afraid of arriving at the port straight from home.

---Paul in Southern NJ

There is no wrong or right. If you feel more comfortable arriving the night before I will do so. I always arrive the night before for a cruise when I have to take a plane. But since I live in south jersey and the port is 2 hours away I will just go the day of the cruise. That's what I did in 2012.

For the cruises leaving from Manhattan, any suggestions regarding where to stay the night before?

I like the Intercontinental Times Square. From some of the rooms you can even see the cruise terminal in the distance.

We are coming by train to Penn Station too! I've stayed at Marriot Marquis Times Square and Crowne Times Square and they are both gorgeous with fantastic locations. The problem is that they are super pricey so we're like going to either get in the day before and staying somewhere closer to the port, away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square. Le Parker Meridian is really nice too but it's kind of swanky for kiddos. If I get a good rate I'd go there again though.

We will take the bus to Port Authority. And I'm thinking we will just walk to the port from there.

---Paul in Southern NJ

We always drove from home when we lived in FL. The port was about a 2 hour drive away, and we didn't have to unpack and repack at a hotel. Especially with the ridiculously priced NYC area hotels, personally, I'd just leave home the day of. Just leave early so you have plenty of wiggle room in case of traffic etc.

Hi, Paul!

We drove from the Philadelphia area (about 3 hours door to door) and had no problems. These days we always get places early, so we left early and had plenty of time. We parked on top of the terminal. For a crowd, the cost is cheaper than parking elsewhere and taking transportation to the port. And the convenience of getting off the ship and right upstairs to our car was wonderful.

Have fun!

holy crap are hotels expensive, I'm going to have to come in the day of... boy I wish I could expense the hotel this time... yuck

Hi, Paul!

We drove from the Philadelphia area (about 3 hours door to door) and had no problems. These days we always get places early, so we left early and had plenty of time. We parked on top of the terminal. For a crowd, the cost is cheaper than parking elsewhere and taking transportation to the port. And the convenience of getting off the ship and right upstairs to our car was wonderful.

Have fun!
How much was parking/day? I have never driven in Manhattan before so I am wondering if it is intimidating. We're coming from Philly area and figured the train might be easy enough but if parking is easy that might be a good option too.

Hi, Paul!

Have fun!

We are in a South Jersey Philly suburb. Was not aware you could park at the NYC terminal. Any idea how much parking is at the terminal?
Thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

It's $40 per night to park at the terminal https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/.

We weren't planning on doing any sight seeing in NYC - just wanted a place to lay our head after the drive from Pittsburgh the day before the cruise. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgetfield Park, NJ for our Oct 2016 cruise. They offer a Park, Ride and Cruise package that includes a room, breakfast, parking for the duration of the cruise, and transportation to the port. http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...-ridgefield-park-LGARPGI/offers/100077011.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter