• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise Ship Etiquette?

At the Flying Fish we put Perry the Platypus in an extra chair and tied a napkin around his neck. But he didn't order a meal, even though they brought him a menu (no worms on the menu). He didn't get any wine either. And he won't on the cruise.

And everybody walked by and said "Hi Perry" like it was normal to have a platypus at the table.

Disney rocks.

To be asked to dine with the Captain is an honor don't ever turn it down.
MJ

Got to disagree here. The ship Captain is an important job, with significant responsibility. But I can't think of it as an "honor" to spend time with him. Interesting to do? Probably. I have no doubt some of the crew may be intimidated by his authority over them, and would perhaps consider such an invitation an honor, but as a passenger I'm there to enjoy my valuable time with my family and choose how to spend it. Talking to someone like the Captain who has a broad view of the ship would certainly be a lot of fun, and I'd enjoy that time, but an honor? An obligation to accept? Don't think so.

The only thing that really stood out to me during our entire cruise that had more than a moments irritation was the group in the row behind us at the Disney Dreams show. They sang along with every single song. It was very annoying. Very.

Got to disagree here. The ship Captain is an important job, with significant responsibility. But I can't think of it as an "honor" to spend time with him. Interesting to do? Probably. I have no doubt some of the crew may be intimidated by his authority over them, and would perhaps consider such an invitation an honor, but as a passenger I'm there to enjoy my valuable time with my family and choose how to spend it. Talking to someone like the Captain who has a broad view of the ship would certainly be a lot of fun, and I'd enjoy that time, but an honor? An obligation to accept? Don't think so.

Point taken and obviously personal opinion. It was an extremely enjoyable experience!

MJ

If there is a line at guest services, please do not skip or disregard the line and walk right up to a CM at the counter no matter how small or quick your question is. Join the line and wait your turn like everyone else, or come back another time you ask your question.

It is true that whether it is "an honor" (from the invitee's point of view) to dine with the Captain is a matter of personal opinion. Many Guests don't even know or care who their Captain is. Others schedule their cruises to sail with their favorites. And still others may not know who he is but would enjoy the opportunity to dine with him.

But since the advice to never turn down an invitation to dine with the Captain is given in the context of ETIQUETTE, my take on that advice is that to reject the invitation would be an insult to the Captain. With that in mind, I would accept the invitation.

If there is a line at guest services, please do not skip or disregard the line and walk right up to a CM at the counter no matter how small or quick your question is. Join the line and wait your turn like everyone else, or come back another time you ask your question.

This! I work at a Disney Store, and the number of people who think they can interrupt an ongoing transaction to ask a question is mind-boggling. And there's no comfortable way around it - either you say very nicely "Just a moment, please" to receive eye rolls, foot taps, etc., or you have to momentarily ignore the guest in front of you who has been following the rules - and many times it's not just "one little question".

In a similar vein, please let the guest in front of you finish completely and wait for the guest services agent (or register person if in a store) to call you forward. Sometimes there is paperwork that needs to be completed immediately and it takes a few seconds. There have been several times at my register someone insisted on coming up right as soon as the guest I'd been helping left, and they had to wait for me to complete mandatory paperwork (for a return or exchange for example) and in the few seconds it took me to do that, another "box office" cast member had an opening so someone else was actually helped first. And as bad are the people who don't even let the guest gather their things and move away before getting right on top of them and throwing things over their heads. Seriously? It's not going to kill you to wait a couple of extra seconds. I've been on both sides of that situation - being the box office ringer AND being a guest who had someone creep up - that time even before the transaction was finished. It's not pleasant for anyone.

But since the advice to never turn down an invitation to dine with the Captain is given in the context of ETIQUETTE, my take on that advice is that to reject the invitation would be an insult to the Captain. With that in mind, I would accept the invitation.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. Just as a counterpoint, what if I invite the Captain to dine with me, would it be an insult if he turned me down?

Don't say he's too busy (and don't even say he's to important); I have very few precious hours on a cruise, something planned for a year in advance, something we saved to pay for. I would hope if someone asked me to give them a few of those hours and I choose to spend them otherwise they wouldn't feel "insulted."

It is quite a complement to invite someone to spend time with you, but it is a bit arrogant to feel insulted if they decline. Would I accept if most ANY crew member asked me to join them? Probably so, because I'd like to spend my time learning from someone else's life experience and ship knowledge. But etiquette does not demand I give up my valuable family time solely because someone else asks it. They should have enough class to gently understand that without the slightest thought of an insult. In fact, etiquette demands a grateful acknowledgement of any invitation, an sincere appreciation, and a thoughtful regret if you do not accept. Etiquette does not demand acceptance.

I would almost certainly accept, but for the right reason, mutual enjoyment of each other's time. Not because you are honored and obligated to.

men shouldn't wear ballcaps unless: they are out in the sun OR they are playing on a team (at that moment)...this from an old guy. Kids are another issue....men, ehhhhhhh

I absolutely understand what you're saying. Just as a counterpoint, what if I invite the Captain to dine with me, would it be an insult if he turned me down?
My personal view is that it would not. If all Guests could feel free to invite the Captain to dine with them, how would he select one to accept? To not offend many, he would need to refuse all. That is why it is not common policy for Guests to invite the Captain to dinner during their cruise. But for him to select individuals from among thousands of Guests and extend an invitation, I'd say that's an honor and a privilege that should not be rejected.

However, if you had special plans, ie. an anniversary dinner at Remy or something similar for the evening of the invitation, I'd say it would be acceptable to politely decline if desired. And BTW - dinner with the Captain aboard ship is not likely to stretch to "a few hours" long. It would be a small portion from your "family time" and an experience to remember.

I do understand that everyone has different levels of respect or appreciation for the Captain and his crew. Like you, I'm just stating my personal opinion. :)

But for him to select individuals from among thousands of Guests and extend an invitation, I'd say that's an honor and a privilege that should not be rejected.

However, if you had special plans, ie. an anniversary dinner at Remy or something similar for the evening of the invitation, I'd say it would be acceptable to politely decline if desired. And BTW - dinner with the Captain aboard ship is not likely to stretch to "a few hours" long. It would be a small portion from your "family time" and an experience to remember.

I do understand that everyone has different levels of respect or appreciation for the Captain and his crew. Like you, I'm just stating my personal opinion. :)

I'd reject it. Would that suggest a lack of respect? I'm sure he's a fine captain, but how would eating dinner next to him be "an experience to remember"? Why would he care enough to be insulted if I didn't show up?

I'd love to meet him, perhaps during a tour of the bridge, now that would be an experience to remember.

The time we were invited to dine with the Captain on DCL was very nice. It was held in Palo with about 3 or 4 other couples at a large round table. We all got a dated menu, rose, photo and a delicious meal with free flowing wine. It was quite an experience.

Only problem was the Captain could not make it to dinner at the last minute....there was an emergency that needed taking care of (a boat of refugees was stranded) so the President of DCL dined with us. It was a very interesting evening!

MJ

We are actually split in our household on this one! I wanted to get something signed by the captain and DH was like.... why?? He was completely uninterested! So I ended up skipping it. I also ran into Captain Marco on the elevators and felt like I just met a celebrity. DH was like ... meh. I think we'd both accept dinner with the captain though! Just an personality thing on how you view it I guess.

The crew of DCL is just about universally wonderful. Show them respect and you'll get it back many times over. A kind (and genuine) word of appreciation goes a long way in a bit of humanity.

There are those who don't seem to have much respect for the CMs, who even think of them as their servants. I feel sorry for these guests. They have a sense of entitlement that is undeserved, even offensive, and they are missing out on connecting with some of the world's wonderful people.

My (admittedly humble) opinion is the CMs work hard for, and earn, our deepest respect and appreciation. But, also, just my opinion.

Good post, especially the suggestions about covering up and being modest when walking around the ship. And IMO, parents should teach their kids to cover up as well...

Hall Etiquette:

Do not run in the halls
Do not talk loudly in the halls
If some one is approaching you either from behind or the other direction move over to one side
When leaving your cabin please don't let the door slam, hold onto it and let it close softly.

there are many good reasons for turning down this invitation and truth be known the selection of who gets to go is often not made by the captain ... he's just told who will be there ... SHMOOZING is part of the job ... NOT ALWAYS but not uncommon. (do you think the captain WANTS to shake the hands of 1000 people or have his picture taken 1000 times .. a couple of times a week?!?)

IF U do not care to go I have one comment .... decline quickly ... odds are they'll fill the seat with someone else and that person may see it as the highlight of their life! Don't let the seat go empty . . .

I've gotten the invite ... and been invited to the bridge ... and had the captain just join us in the bar for a refreshment. Sometimes they enjoy talking shop with a fellow sailor

Often when meeting the captain on formal night I'd hand him my card and he'd hand it to the always present assistant and whisper something ... often resulting in a note delivered to the room soon after.

I've dined with the captain, been on the bridge for port entry/departure

{dd sounding the horn departing Castaway}

accompanied the captain on his daily 'walk about' ... a 3 hour tour from stem to stern and keel to mast. And partied with the captain in port . . .

and I've been the Captain hosting the meal .... especially difficult if the invited guests and you don't speak the same language!!!! :rolleyes1

but back on topic .... decline if you want ... politely and QUICKLY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter