Cruise Point $$ Value?

BraveMom3

DIS Veteran
I've read on other posts that points at the DVC Resorts are = to about $6.00/point. Can anyone tell me what the $ value/point would be for the Cruise, considering that food is included? I'm trying to compare how expensive the Cruise is compared to a stay at WDW for the same time. thanks.

I'm sure this answer will vary for different situations but I figured it for our family of 5 on the 3 night cruise in Cat 4 travelling in November. At first it came out to about $9.50/point but with Fall Fantasy Plus, that came down to $7.10/point. We went with using points as we had a lot that needed to be used this year. Hope this helps!

The cruise value cannot be compared with the resort value per point as the cruise also includes all food, meals, snacks, room, transportation between islands and all entertainment. I have cruised both on cash and on points, and I would not hesitate to use my points for a cruise again! :)

I didn't see it from your prespective, however, I can tell you that if you multiply your point cost $6 by 521 points (7 day Magic Cruise, Catagory 5, Deck Level 6, Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah for two adults and 1 child in June). It would equal $3126!

We cruised on Magic, June 16 and stayed on Deck 6! We loved it! Our next room neighbors asked us how much we spent on the cruise and I told them I used my points. They were seriously considering buying DVC.

They had 2 adults and 1 child next door to us (exact room). They paid $4795 compared to my $3126! That's over a $1600 savings!

I told them that the amount they paid could have been about 1/3 of a 40 year vacation package. I told them to talk to DVC to see if they can apply their vacation towards the DVC.

The next day, they told me they bought!!

I went with points for adults and cash for kids.

Reason: DVC child's price was $174 LESS per child than DCL. DVC quoted $629 for kids / DCL quoted $803. So, here is how I justified my use of points on our upcoming June 15 cruise which I booked today...

June 15 - Cruise Only
2 adults, 2 kids
Cat 8

DCL Cash price $4900
DVC price $1258 + $75 = $1333 + 370 points

Cash savings $3567 = $9.64 per point

When you first look at it in regular season, it is a low $$ per point. ($1550 for adult versus 185 points) However, the lower rate for the kids makes a big difference and we almost hit that $10 sweet spot.)

And, after pushing the issue, we secured our Castaway Club credit (MS clerk was unaware that it was offered again!)

Anyway, this is my story, and I am sticking to it!!!

Last edited by gscott8075

I figured that our cruise last year which used 725 points would have probably cost $7250 (Cat4, 3 adults, 2 children, high season, "rack" rate), so I used $10/point whenever I was asked.

As for the Fall Fantasy rates, when DVC announced a reduction in point cost, there was an equal reduction in the amount of cash that these cruises cost. So the exchange rate didn't get any better or worse in that case.

I used points to book a 4 nite cruise for two- it totalled 234 points. When I bought travel insurance for the trip they put a price on it for $1245- $5.32 per point.

Hope that helps!
SK

I don't think that a point changes in dollar value depending on what you buy with it, whether it's a studio at OKW or a cabin on a cruise ship. It always has the same cost to you. FWIW, I think that $6 per point is way too low.

I think points have a dollar value based on:

How much you paid for them +
cost of financing +
maintenance (net present value over the entirety of your ownership adjusted for 3% inflation) +
the total that you would earn on the amount you paid for your points if you had invested it instead over the entirety of your ownership

For me, that came out to $10 per point.

Some folks figure it out differently and come up with a lower cost :).

Originally posted by robinb
I don't think that a point changes in dollar value depending on what you buy with it, whether it's a studio at OKW or a cabin on a cruise ship. It always has the same cost to you. FWIW, I think that $6 per point is way too low.
I guess we look at things differently. I personally look at what I could have bought the same or an equivilent item for using cash and them divide the cash price by the number of points. In every case I'm done so with truly accurate numbers, it's been around $5 pp or slightly higher. Mostly DC, CC and the Alaska Cruise. Now the Alaska Cruise has come down in points dramatically but I haven't looked to see if the cash prices have come down accordingly, I suspect not as much as the points changed. My impression is that DCL is higher but if you compare to alternative cruise lines (RCCL, Princess, HA), you're back in the $5 pp ball park.

One may have points they won't use otherwise or there may be a time when there aren't specials available or any one of a number of variables that will affect this discussion around a specific exchange option. When I spend points, I'm spending cash and look at it accordingly. Others look at it as something that is already gone and don't care, it's the owners option how to look at it. I just want to make sure the rest are informed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter