• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise Newbie - can someone explain the stateroom classes?

SuzGM84

Mouseketeer
DH and I are planning our first cruise and since we literally know nothing (Jon Snow!!) I'm diving head first into the research to ensure we know what we're about to spend a lot of $$ on. I'm looking at the room types for the Wish and we're looking at Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms with Verandah. There appear to be two categories: 5A and 5B. The only difference is the deck they are on? Is this what separates the A and the B - the higher the deck, the higher the letter?

ETA I also see the same room types for 6A, 6B, 7A. SO CONFUSING TO A NEWBIE!!

Appreciate the knowledge from the veterans here!

Generally higher is more expensive for the same cabin configuration than lower. Mid-ship is generally more expensive than forward or aft for same type of cabin. Some cabins have smaller balconies or blocked views and they are a different category (and cheaper). Cabins with larger balconies will be more expensive than those with smaller. We don't really have details on the Wish yet, but that is how it goes on the other ships.

Generally higher is more expensive for the same cabin configuration than lower. Mid-ship is generally more expensive than forward or aft for same type of cabin. Some cabins have smaller balconies or blocked views and they are a different category (and cheaper). Cabins with larger balconies will be more expensive than those with smaller. We don't really have details on the Wish yet, but that is how it goes on the other ships.

That's kind of what I thought. Obviously a bigger balcony is a good thing but is there any benefit of a higher deck? Better views? Less sea-sickness?

That's kind of what I thought. Obviously a bigger balcony is a good thing but is there any benefit of a higher deck? Better views? Less sea-sickness?
Some people prefer to have rooms on higher decks for the ease of access to the pool and other activities on the top decks.

easier/quicker access to upper decks.

e.g. We have enjoyed deck 9 forward on the Dream and Fantasy. Quick and easy access up to the pool deck and upper decks via stairs or elevator. Two flights of stairs up and we are at Senses or come out into the adult area on the pool deck, then an easy walk for drinks or food etc. Easy stairs down to anything on lower decks.

Downside is at certain times there can be quite a wait for elevators to go from lower to upper decks, eg after dinner... so if you want to go to your stateroom after dinner its either stairs or waiting...

easier/quicker access to upper decks.

e.g. We have enjoyed deck 9 forward on the Dream and Fantasy. Quick and easy access up to the pool deck and upper decks via stairs or elevator. Two flights of stairs up and we are at Senses or come out into the adult area on the pool deck, then an easy walk for drinks or food etc. Easy stairs down to anything on lower decks.

Downside is at certain times there can be quite a wait for elevators to go from lower to upper decks, eg after dinner... so if you want to go to your stateroom after dinner its either stairs or waiting...

Good points!! Hopefully they'll be availability for the dates we want when they get to DVC bookings! I think a small price difference (around $100) in decks wouldn't be a big deal but the difference in front of that comma might be hard to swallow! haha!

When we started planning our first our travel agent sent pages of choices with prices. I asked her is this room really $12 better than that room?? It was a 3 night "trial cruise" for us. Her suggestion was to go all out since the swing was <$100 from cheapest to most expensive. Of course now we can't go down. The larger room and verandah were both wonderful. We were deck 10 midship on the Dream and the only thing we changed for our next (but stupid covid) was to do deck 9 midship. The only reason being that on occasion we could hear chairs being dragged around on the pool deck, not loud but noticeable. She said we'd feel less movement up high and in the middle, which didn't seem right to me but was definitely my experience. I didn't get sick but did get dizzy and could feel the motion on the lower decks. My husband and daughter didn't notice anything.

When we started planning our first our travel agent sent pages of choices with prices. I asked her is this room really $12 better than that room?? It was a 3 night "trial cruise" for us. Her suggestion was to go all out since the swing was <$100 from cheapest to most expensive. Of course now we can't go down. The larger room and verandah were both wonderful. We were deck 10 midship on the Dream and the only thing we changed for our next (but stupid covid) was to do deck 9 midship. The only reason being that on occasion we could hear chairs being dragged around on the pool deck, not loud but noticeable. She said we'd feel less movement up high and in the middle, which didn't seem right to me but was definitely my experience. I didn't get sick but did get dizzy and could feel the motion on the lower decks. My husband and daughter didn't notice anything.

Thanks! That's kinda what I'm thinking. A cruise is a serious splurge for us compared to taking a WDW trip - but we want to give it a try to see if its something we'd like and what better way to try something out than on the newest ship out there?

Generally low and mid will be less motion. I find aft to be the worst for motion, but others feel forward. I think it varies based on the individual. We always go for a 4E veranda cabin on Deck 5 forward on the Fantasy - smaller cabin but giant veranda. We spend a lot of time out there, so it's worth it. Think about what matters most to you (location, motion, size, etc.) and go from there.

Always pay attention to what is above and below the cabin you are booking.
You don’t want to be below a restaurant/kitchen because of the kitchen noise. Food is prepared for about 24 hours a day.
You don’t want to be below the pool. Too much noise of people running on the deck and early morning of the cleaning crew dragging the deck chairs to clean.
Above and below the theater the music can be heard during shows and rehearsals.

Agreed, look for a deck with cabins above and below. Try not to be right next to the elevators. Honestly, just having A balcony is good enough for me. Unless you have more than two people in the cabin and need that extra space. I did book a cabin with a murphey bed this time, mostly just for the extra space? We are just two people but it wasn't too much more and I read that the murphey bed is more comfortable than the couch bed. Not being able to split the main bed anymore changes things a bit when not sharing with a significant other. I've been quite happy on Decks 7 or 8. The view really doesn't change that much in 10 feet. And there is something about if you splurge BIG at the start, it's hard to 'downsize'. It's like flying business class, hard to go coach. But Economy Plus might be good enough??

Our favorite has always been deck 7 aft or midship - staterooms are above and below us and it’s still considered 8D oceanview or 4D verandah for our family of 5; those are the cheapest standard rooms in those categories.

Deck 6 & 7 Mid and Aft are my favourites too. My travel mate gets seasick but she feels it less at this level. We've also come to love those porthole verandahs more than the regular. The theming is really fun and it feels safer.

We prefer a "middle" deck rather than a higher one as well because we like having the option to take the stairs up to the pool deck or down to the restaurants/theater. Elevators get so crowded.

Deck 6 & 7 Mid and Aft are my favourites too. My travel mate gets seasick but she feels it less at this level. We've also come to love those porthole verandahs more than the regular. The theming is really fun and it feels safer.

@blktauna Can you explain what you mean by a "porthole verandah"? Thanks!!

Exactly this. I prefer this over open verandahs because there's more shade, less wind, nice benches on either side and awesome theming.

Let me just throw one thing out there since you are new to this, before you get too hung up on the cabin category/location: Don't worry too much about it! I've seen a lot of people get really into planning and then start thinking that lots of the "nice to have" things are "must have" things. I've been really guilty of this myself! So, I'm just trying to save you some of the mistakes I've felt...

We've been in a few different room categories in a variety of locations. There are advantages to almost every location. Upper decks are closer to the stuff on the pool deck. Lower ones are closer to restaurants/clubs. Forward is closer to some things, aft to others, and mid-ship is a compromise. Our best trip was on the bottommost deck on the Wonder, which many people wouldn't have rated as a very great location - we loved it there! Yes, I've heard that some locations can tend to be noisier at certain times of day (depending on your schedule this might not matter much), and some can make a difference if you are especially prone to seasickness. But, don't feel like there's some "perfect" location you must have.

And, while room categories do have some significant differences, you'll have a great trip regardless of the room category, and we've found that these differences ended up being much less important to us than you might think. You'll hear people say how they "have" to have a verandah or they really wouldn't want to go without concierge, but you can (and many, many families regularly do!) have great cruises without those things. Yes, a Verandah's nice, but again, one of our best vacations was in one of the lower room categories we've ever sailed in (the cheapest oceanview we could get).

So, if you find it's easier or just more in your budget to get a room that's not at level X, don't stress about it- you can have a great trip, regardless!

Let me just throw one thing out there since you are new to this, before you get too hung up on the cabin category/location: Don't worry too much about it! I've seen a lot of people get really into planning and then start thinking that lots of the "nice to have" things are "must have" things. I've been really guilty of this myself! So, I'm just trying to save you some of the mistakes I've felt...

We've been in a few different room categories in a variety of locations. There are advantages to almost every location. Upper decks are closer to the stuff on the pool deck. Lower ones are closer to restaurants/clubs. Forward is closer to some things, aft to others, and mid-ship is a compromise. Our best trip was on the bottommost deck on the Wonder, which many people wouldn't have rated as a very great location - we loved it there! Yes, I've heard that some locations can tend to be noisier at certain times of day (depending on your schedule this might not matter much), and some can make a difference if you are especially prone to seasickness. But, don't feel like there's some "perfect" location you must have.

And, while room categories do have some significant differences, you'll have a great trip regardless of the room category, and we've found that these differences ended up being much less important to us than you might think. You'll hear people say how they "have" to have a verandah or they really wouldn't want to go without concierge, but you can (and many, many families regularly do!) have great cruises without those things. Yes, a Verandah's nice, but again, one of our best vacations was in one of the lower room categories we've ever sailed in (the cheapest oceanview we could get).

So, if you find it's easier or just more in your budget to get a room that's not at level X, don't stress about it- you can have a great trip, regardless!
Great post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter