"Cruise Insurance"

pschro1

Mouseketeer
I am shopping around for our travel insurance for our cruise in August. We are also going to be doing a park stay after the cruise. I've purchased insurance for our "land based" trips before so I am familar with the overall process. However, I have never bought insurance for a split cruise/land vacation. What do most people do? Do you book insurance for the overall trip? Or do you book a policy for the cruise and then a seperate policy for the land portion of the vacation?

I bought for both. When I put the info into the comparison website I use, I just include the dates and estimated dollar amount for the entire trip. (and don't forget to include your airfare!)

I don't insure the park trip but I typically book packages and rescheduling those to a future date is pretty easy.

You can cover the whole thing on one policy for much less than buying two separate. Include full dates and full non-refundable value when you quote out the insurance. For cruises, when you select "Destination" in the quote, they generally tell you to list your first international port of call.

We book a policy for the overall trip when we do insurance and have done this for our combined land and cruise trips. It’s hardly any additional expense to add in the few days before or after the cruise that we may spend at the parks. our trip dates start the day we leave the house and end the day we get back home.

We do not book instance if we are just going to WDW but we always get insurance for a cruise or an overseas trip—that’s a ton of money to pay up front and lose if something goes wrong. And we have had to get money back from insurance twice in the last 6 years.

I have an annual plan that covers me for an entire year. That way all my trips are covered (cruises and parks and everything in between like travel to see family, etc.)

I have an annual plan that covers me for an entire year. That way all my trips are covered (cruises and parks and everything in between like travel to see family, etc.)
That seems smart for anyone who travels a lot…

I personally have never heard of, or seen offered that sort of policy.

Care to share who you go through or how you found this option? Is there anything either included or disallowed that is different than individual trip-based plans?

Care to share who you go through or how you found this option? Is there anything either included or disallowed that is different than individual trip-based plans?
We, also, have an annual plan. Had it for years. I think I found it initially by doing a search on a trip insurance search site. It covers any travel over XX (can't recall actual) number of miles from home, for the first 70 days of any specific trip.

You'll want to have one insurance to cover both. If something happened before the cruise that prevents you from getting to the cruise, you wouldn't be covered (because the land portion would only cover costs for that portion and the cruise portion doesn't kick in until you're on the cruise). Basically, you want to cover the day you leave home until the day you return. Cover all non-refundable costs, and decide if you want coverage that covers interruption (aka you have to leave early and there are incremental costs and non-refundable costs), medical, and you can decide what kind of things you will want to cover that might prevent you from going on vacation (e.g., illness or death in the family, etc.). When looking at the medical coverage you might also want to see if there is anything explicit about evacuation while on the cruise., particularly due to medical.

We have an Allianz Travel Annual. Our 50th Anniversary Celebration last year covered, my Las Vegas Formula 1 Race trip was covered our cruises, even our upcoming trip to see Grandson who will be returning from serving overseas will be covered.

I cover the entire trip from start to finish under one policy and list the value as everything that would be non-refundable.

We travel a lot to visit family each year and while we don’t have many travel expenses that benefit from insurance, we do occasionally rent cars. We‘re on our second year (soon to be three), of getting an annual policy that covers all our travels. I am comforted knowing our car rentals are covered for damage (beyond any personal car insurance/credit card coverage), with the annual travel policy. Cost of an annual policy is not much more than what Disney charges.

We also have an annual plan (from Allianz). We started with them seven or eight years ago when we began doing three or four trips per year, including multiple cruises. Our single claim for a medical emergency that caused us to cancel a cruise was handled smoothly and promptly, with submittal of required documentation through their web site.

Since we have continued to renew each year, pre-existing conditions are covered. The policy limits for medical emergency treatment and medical evacuation are significantly higher than the too small coverage in the DCL policy. There is also supplemental rental car insurance coverage (our personal car insurance policy is still primary for rental coverage).

We also have the Allianz plan. I've had to file claims three times (unfortunately). One of the times we filed, it pretty much maxed out our benefit and we were only one month into the policy. I called them up to ask them what would happen if we needed to fill a claim on a future trip. They told me to cancel the policy, get a pro-rated refund and buy a new annual plan. So that's what I did! I got the refund check and bought a new annual plan. It was a good thing I did because I had another claim on our trip after that! Not enough to max us out. We just missed a port and the third party tour operator wouldn't give me back my deposit (first time for that one). Since it was only $100 I didn't get a pro-rated refund of the plan that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter