• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise industry won't recover until 2030

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also note that seatbelt and cell phone laws are just that. Laws. The mandates are not. They are mandates. They are said to have been imposed due to a public health emergency. Also, driving is a privilege, licensed by the states. Breathing without a face covering is not - yet.

Abridgments of freedom tend to be cumulative. For each new restriction, there are seldom any taken away. Over time, this could become overbearing for some people, particularly those of a more libertarian versus authoritarian perspective.
It is weird that in America today, so many people are in favor of taking away so much of citizens' freedom and autonomy. When this all started happening, I reflected on the 1917 pandemic (100 times worse than Covid) and how most people kept on working and worshiping through it. 100 years ago, Americans simply would not have accepted such severe and long-lasting restrictions on their lives, but today, most do. It genuinely surprised me to hear people I knew on social media very seriously comment that our government needed to "act more like China" and "control people". Even 30 years ago, most Americans wouldn't have accepted so much restriction on their freedom, but they do now. It's chilling.

Same here with running red lights AND speeding. Highway Patrol in 2020 wrote more tickets for people going 100+ mph than they ever have! And yes, there seem to be more people texting and driving since the ban went into effect. Given current record covid levels, I can see face mask use moving from mandate to law. Primary because by wearing a mask, you are protecting others.
If wearing a mask becomes permanent law, that will be a very sad thing to me. There are so many things that could conceivably protect others. If a person with high blood pressure (like me) has a stroke while driving, it could kill someone. If society overeats, it puts more pressure on the environment and the health care system, so why not pass calorie intake laws, as well as dictate what people eat? If people travel on cruise ships, it takes lots of energy to get there and to run the cruise ship. That depletes the earth's resources and damages the environment. There is absolutely no bottom to laws that could be passed to "protect others." We should be careful what we wish for.

It is weird that in America today, so many people are in favor of taking away so much of citizens' freedom and autonomy. When this all started happening, I reflected on the 1917 pandemic (100 times worse than Covid) and how most people kept on working and worshiping through it. 100 years ago, Americans simply would not have accepted such severe and long-lasting restrictions on their lives, but today, most do. It genuinely surprised me to hear people I knew on social media very seriously comment that our government needed to "act more like China" and "control people". Even 30 years ago, most Americans wouldn't have accepted so much restriction on their freedom, but they do now. It's chilling.
I agree with you completely. It is chilling to me that people think that freedom can be turned on and off like a light switch and still be freedom.

If wearing a mask becomes permanent law, that will be a very sad thing to me. There are so many things that could conceivably protect others. If a person with high blood pressure (like me) has a stroke while driving, it could kill someone. If society overeats, it puts more pressure on the environment and the health care system, so why not pass calorie intake laws, as well as dictate what people eat? If people travel on cruise ships, it takes lots of energy to get there and to run the cruise ship. That depletes the earth's resources and damages the environment. There is absolutely no bottom to laws that could be passed to "protect others." We should be careful what we wish for.
Hey, I'm in California. Home of laws to protect others. The up and coming law no new commercial or residential construction can use natural gas, electric only. And come 2035 all new cars have to be electric.

Hey, I'm in California. Home of laws to protect others. The up and coming law no new commercial or residential construction can use natural gas, electric only. And come 2035 all new cars have to be electric.
Sigh. When I was in seventh grade, we had a unit during our "unified studies" class called "Freedom vs. Totalitarianism." The first, and most lasting lesson we were taught is "absolute power corrupts, absolutely." I believed that then. And, I believe it now. It follows that the closer we get to giving someone absolute power, the closer we get to corruption being guaranteed. The advent of technological tools that make our lives more convenient, means that we have to make sure they are used as tools to benefit us and not weapons to rule us.

Sigh. When I was in seventh grade, we had a unit during our "unified studies" class called "Freedom vs. Totalitarianism." The first, and most lasting lesson we were taught is "absolute power corrupts, absolutely." I believed that then. And, I believe it now. It follows that the closer we get to giving someone absolute power, the closer we get to corruption being guaranteed. The advent of technological tools that make our lives more convenient, means that we have to make sure they are used as tools to benefit us and not weapons to rule us.
See, I fall back to my Constitutional Law class. Your rights go as far as they don't impose on or endanger the rights of others. You have a right not to wear a mask for example. Except that a mask is to protect others, not you. So you have no right to risk the health of others.

I think based on the numbers South Carolina residents should DEMAND more restrictive mandates. Look at the spike! Unacceptable.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sou...7j0i433j0l6.7008j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8https://www.live5news.com/2020/12/31/south-carolina-reports-new-covid-cases/
The SC governor is reportedly not going to issue any new restrictions, and even appears poised to reverse his earlier decision to ban sales of alcohol after 11:00 p.m. See below:

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/01/02...cmaster-reportedly-eager-to-reverse-decision/

See, I fall back to my Constitutional Law class. Your rights go as far as they don't impose on or endanger the rights of others. You have a right not to wear a mask for example. Except that a mask is to protect others, not you. So you have no right to risk the health of others.

You have over a 99% chance you aren't going to die of Covid. If you are that scared, please just stay home and quit making things miserable for the rest. Everyone can assess their own level of risk. As far as constitutional law, I see no "right" of risk to the health of others listed in the constitution.

Everyone, please remember to be courteous to each other even when disagreeing. Rude and attacking posts will be deleted.

You have over a 99% chance you aren't going to die of Covid. If you are that scared, please just stay home and quit making things miserable for the rest. Everyone can assess their own level of risk. As far as constitutional law, I see no "right" of risk to the health of others listed in the constitution.
I think a lot of people are frightened and should choose to take as little risk as they feel comfortable with. I agree that it is not incumbent on those who are more comfortable with risk to adjust their behavior to the most risk averse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter