Cruise experts- experience other lines -DCL replacement.

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
So as much as our Hawaiian cruise is technically still happening on the Wonder, as we have yet to receive a cancellation, I am still planning for the future. As much as we would Love to take a credit at a higher percentage for another DCL sailing , the main reason for this trip was doing Hawaii as a partial sailing

I am being optimistic here and looking at some fall dates on other lines. As Disney fans which ship/line would be the best replacement?
Carnival Miracle
Royal Ovation of the Seas
Celebrity Soltice
Princess Ruby.

It’s my mom and I (47/69). We don’t like to dress up for dinner unless we have too ( formal). We like capris and blouses all day. Mom like to sit in a nice chair and people watch. We also prefer included dining only. We don’t like stuffy crowds. ( princess ??) our focus is public areas, not the extras one gets with certain class rooms.

this whole process puts me in tears, but lately my focus is Changing and grateful we are all healthy!

My friend and her DH who are in their late 30s like me have been on 2 Celebrity cruises and they really enjoy them! They said that most of the crowd is much older than them though. But they like laid back, not a ton of activities, not a party atmosphere, listening to live music and relaxing so they said it's a good fit for them. They said the food is really good. Also, I know the "formal" night is optional because my friend told me she wore leggings and a nice top and it was fine! So that might be a good fit for you?

I have been on two Radiance of the Seas cruises from Vancouver to Honolulu and they were EXCELLENT. ( September 2018 & 2015) Both times we were with four friends, and we had anytime dining. According to our friends the escargot onboard is out of this world good and it was available as appetizer nearly every day! We wouldn’t hesitate to go on the newer RCCL ship that does the cruise, but we also like to be in Hawaii when the whales are there, so a March stay is what we have planned for next year. We did a February two island stay in 2017.

I have sailed Ruby Princess and two Celebrity Solstice-class ships (Equinox and Silhouette), and wouldn't hesitate to sail them again. Neither line has formal nights anymore; Celebrity uses the term "Evening Chic" and Princess has something similar that suggests dressing up a bit but no ball gown required. 😉

I am not a foodie and don't need extravagant entertainment every night, but there is good food and decent entertainment on both.

I have been on two Radiance of the Seas cruises from Vancouver to Honolulu and they were EXCELLENT. ( September 2018 & 2015) Both times we were with four friends, and we had anytime dining. According to our friends the escargot onboard is out of this world good and it was available as appetizer nearly every day! We wouldn’t hesitate to go on the newer RCCL ship that does the cruise, but we also like to be in Hawaii when the whales are there, so a March stay is what we have planned for next year. We did a February two island stay in 2017.
Oh great! How was the weather in September? Options are September or October. Did you do Round trip or one way? There are both options avail. Pretty sure hawaiian will let us change our ticket. Or we do round trip and actually save money as hotel night HNL are pricey too

The Radiance was on way to Australia....so one way. The weather in Hawaii was perfect, both times. Roughly September 19 to 30.

I would probably do the Royal cruise. We haven't done Princess, but we've been on two Celebrity cruises and they are nothing like DCL - they are incredibly low-key with very few scheduled activities (and those that are scheduled are incredibly boring, IMHO). Celebrity is great if you want to sit around and do a lot of nothing.

We did a 15 Day Hawaii Cruise on Princess. The Formal Nights, you just have to eat at the buffet. We had a blast, and the price was only around $3300 total for two of us with an interior room.

So as much as our Hawaiian cruise is technically still happening on the Wonder, as we have yet to receive a cancellation, I am still planning for the future. As much as we would Love to take a credit at a higher percentage for another DCL sailing , the main reason for this trip was doing Hawaii as a partial sailing

I am being optimistic here and looking at some fall dates on other lines. As Disney fans which ship/line would be the best replacement?
Carnival Miracle
Celebrity Soltice
Princess Ruby.

It’s my mom and I (47/69). We don’t like to dress up for dinner unless we have too ( formal). We like capris and blouses all day. Mom like to sit in a nice chair and people watch. We also prefer included dining only. We don’t like stuffy crowds. ( princess ??) our focus is public areas, not the extras one gets with certain class rooms.

this whole process puts me in tears, but lately my focus is Changing and grateful we are all healthy!
Ovation is a great ship. But one thing you don’t have on here is the Pride of America. I have done that cruise twice and it was fantastic each time. Very laid back. You do have to fly in to Hawaii for it though.

Ovation is a great ship. But one thing you don’t have on here is the Pride of America. I have done that cruise twice and it was fantastic each time. Very laid back. You do have to fly in to Hawaii for it though.
I didn’t look at that as flying two ways is a bit a strain on us. As we are in Europe. So you like POA many reviews are horrible. We have a one way ticket. Maybe I’ll take a look we would have to do overnights on the westcoast anyways

We did POA as well. I went in it with low expectations because of what I had read, but we had a great time. I’d do it again in a heartbeat because there was still so much we didn’t get to see. It gave us a really good sense of the islands and what we would like to see if we go back. The service and the food were fine. No different really than Disney. We enjoyed the Hawaiian crafts that were almost daily. The shows varied from good to cringeworthy. But, I’ll never sit through Wishes ever again either.

We did POA as well. I went in it with low expectations because of what I had read, but we had a great time. I’d do it again in a heartbeat because there was still so much we didn’t get to see. It gave us a really good sense of the islands and what we would like to see if we go back. The service and the food were fine. No different really than Disney. We enjoyed the Hawaiian crafts that were almost daily. The shows varied from good to cringeworthy. But, I’ll never sit through Wishes ever again either.
They had Hawaiian crafts on board? I need to check out POA now.

I didn’t look at that as flying two ways is a bit a strain on us. As we are in Europe. So you like POA many reviews are horrible. We have a one way ticket. Maybe I’ll take a look we would have to do overnights on the westcoast anyways
Yeah, I can see why flying from Europe to Hawaii would be a pain in the butt. I don’t understand why people are down on the POA. it had beautiful interior. You are off the ship everyday until late in the evening (it stops overnight in two ports, Kauai and Maui) that you really have no need for extra activities on board.

Yeah, I can see why flying from Europe to Hawaii would be a pain in the butt. I don’t understand why people are down on the POA. it had beautiful interior. You are off the ship everyday until late in the evening (it stops overnight in two ports, Kauai and Maui) that you really have no need for extra activities on board.
I checked prices and pricey. 7 days cost more than a 10/15 night. Like. Grand more per person for a balcony. Maybe I looked wrong? Did it from my phone but will do some research. Thx for the Infos

we luv princess. our fav after disney. just took my mom on a 10 day and she loved it! We like the evening movies under the stars which has warm blankets and popcorn. capris are fine for all but 2 nights, and it you add a dressy top and some heels, capris would be OK as well. plenty of chairs, nice upscale cruise. entertainment is good as well. food in MDR is quite good.

Carnival Miracle
Celebrity Soltice
Princess Ruby.

I love cruising Carnival, they really are a ton of fun. The Carnival Miracle is a Spirit class ship which has some great features, however it was built when Carnival was still doing the 80’s “Vegas Glam” style interiors. They do a ton of activities throughout the day and really have a positive vibe. With that in mind, based on what your style of cruising with your Mom is, I’d recommend Ovation of the Seas, I think that’s going to be a perfect fit. If your Mom likes to people watch, that is definitely the ship, tons of stuff to wander around and people watch, RCCL is very lax on dress codes and I think would be a great fit.

We sailed on Allure last month. It wasn't as high energy or as much fun as DCL, but the ship is an engineering marvel. We had a central park balcony. It was nice being able to sit on the balcony with no wind. I've never slept so well on a ship in my life. There is no vibrating, creaking or popping that I'm used to on DCL ships. The food was good, Mama Mia was great. I like the 70's music that they play around the ship all the time. My kids had a great time. Service was OK, nothing is like Disney.

My DH took one of my son's on Harmony last year. He said Harmony's is nicer. The Allure goes into dry dock this year and you can tell it's due for a refurb. I'd sail on Royal again if the opportunity arises.

I’m thinking that some businesses, city’s and possibly even states will require a 2 week stay at home quarantines. I wonder if this could be an issue for upto a year for anyone whom has travelled out of the US until the vaccine is available. I have been shot down for this idea before, but I still think now is the time to challenge the Foreign port requirement.
Please be kind in your reply, I am only looking at ways to add sailings to the rosters. And it would that keep Hawaii if we cut out Vancouver.

we luv princess. our fav after disney. just took my mom on a 10 day and she loved it! We like the evening movies under the stars which has warm blankets and popcorn. capris are fine for all but 2 nights, and it you add a dressy top and some heels, capris would be OK as well. plenty of chairs, nice upscale cruise. entertainment is good as well. food in MDR is quite good.
Here's a second for Princess. We love them too. Had nothing but excellent cruises with them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter