"Cruise Casual" at Dinner

My family wears nicer clothes for dinner when it's "cruise casual". I suppose it's like business casual.

My daughter and I wear a nice blouse and skirt/capris or a dress. My husband and son wears black pants with long sleeve button down shirt or short sleeve button down shirt.

I'm sure you'll see all kinds of outfits. On my last cruise on Magic (Norway/Iceland), I didn't notice any shorts but I wasn't looking. My family doesn't wear shorts to dinner, not just because of DCL, but also what I expect from my family. It doesn't bother me what others wear, but I told my children - well my son because he complained once when he was younger that his cruise friends were allowed to wear shorts and I told him that if he wanted to go on the cruise, then he needs to follow our rules...not much talk after that. I do understand that it may be inconvenient because they have to go back to the stateroom to change after every dinner before they can go meet with their friends (wasting 10 precious minutes :rolleyes:) ...but that's one of the price they have to pay to get a free cruise paid by their parents. :-)

edited to add: Actually, I remembered on the last of night our cruise, we saw a whole family wear their pjs...I'm not sure if it was intentional, but they wore winter vests over them. Perhaps they packed up all their clothes in their suitcase....although I hope they remembered to set aside clothes for debarking...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! We are on a 5 night cruise at the end of the month on the Wonder, so we will have 1 pirate night, 1 halloween night, 1 dress up optional night, and 2 cruise casual nights, which I am assuming will be the first and last nights. I will have to confer with DH.

My family wears nicer clothes for dinner when it's "cruise casual". I suppose it's like business casual.

My daughter and I wear a nice blouse and skirt/capris or a dress. My husband and son wears black pants with long sleeve button down shirt or short sleeve button down shirt.

I'm sure you'll see all kinds of outfits. On my last cruise on Magic (Norway/Iceland), I didn't notice any shorts but I wasn't looking. My family doesn't wear shorts to dinner, not just because of DCL, but also what I expect from my family. It doesn't bother me what others wear, but I told my children - well my son because he complained once when he was younger that his cruise friends were allowed to wear shorts and I told him that if he wanted to go on the cruise, then he needs to follow our rules...not much talk after that. I do understand that it may be inconvenient because they have to go back to the stateroom to change after every dinner before they can go meet with their friends (wasting 10 precious minutes :rolleyes:) ...but that's one of the price they have to pay to get a free cruise paid by their parents. :-)

edited to add: Actually, I remembered on the last of night our cruise, we saw a whole family wear their pjs...I'm not sure if it was intentional, but they wore winter vests over them. Perhaps they packed up all their clothes in their suitcase....although I hope they remembered to set aside clothes for debarking...
We saw quite a few cruisers in their PJs on the last morning. I remarked that it looked like some people forgot to set their last days clothes out before they put their luggage out the night before. My guys thought it was a great idea to travel home in pjs. They wished they were in their flannel pajama pants and T-shirts on the flight home!

We saw quite a few cruisers in their PJs on the last morning. I remarked that it looked like some people forgot to set their last days clothes out before they put their luggage out the night before. My guys thought it was a great idea to travel home in pjs. They wished they were in their flannel pajama pants and T-shirts on the flight home!

I don't think I noticed anyone with pjs on the last morning this past cruise, but I know I've seen it a few times in the past. Perhaps one of the main reasons I feel the need to set aside the last outfit. We fly home as well so I don't want to be in my pjs on the flight. But I can see why it wouldn't be an issue if they're just driving home.

Ewwww. We've only seen people in their Holiday PJs at night on Very Merrytime Cruises (getting family photos taken).

I've seen many people on airplanes and in airports in pjs the last few years.

I always wear a sundress and DH and DS10 wear dress shorts and polo shirts. This is our standard wear each night in the MDR's. It is definitely more casual than some other lines we've been on like Paul Gauguin or our upcoming Celebrity cruise where long pants, for men, in the dining rooms are mandatory. I feel like the style of dress really differs from DCL to DCL cruise and the tendency, lately, is to dress down. We were on a DCL Magic Iceland/Norway/Scotland cruise a few years ago and there were teenagers walking around in flannel pajama bottoms on formal night. On our last Fantasy cruise in March, we saw a tween girl in Enchanted Garden in bathing suit bottoms and a t-shirt (I actually couldn't believe she was allowed to be seated as that's really against written dress code). I guess my point is, as long as you follow the written dress code, you won't feel out of place. We were some of the more dressed up people in our sundress/dress short/polo shirt attire on our last cruise. We saw lots of shorts and t-shirts.

We try to "match" our attire to the venue. If we went to a restaurant at home with real table linens, professional wait staff and multi-course dinner we would dress up. So on cruise casual nights on DCL, we dress nicely. MH usually wears linen blend slacks with a polo shirt. My girls and I wear sun dresses.
Thank you! We miss the days when guests dressed appropriately for the MDRs. But that train left the station a few years ago. I think it’s a reflection of a general shift from the days people dressed nicely for church, flying, funerals, school plays...times have changed.

Wear what you want to dine on DCL, don’t worry about what others wear, and savor the experience. Like nowhere else.

Wow, that has not been our experience at all. I rarely see tee shirts. I agree with Shanti. Perhaps it depends on the cruise. We've never cruised on the Dream. Almost all of our cruises have been 7 night cruises. Perhaps the shorter cruises are different.
I agree with you, that has not been my experience either. I don't remember seeing anyone wearing shorts to dinner. I have been on 7 Disney cruises. I leave in 5 days for my next one. I have been on short and long.

We dress as we would to go to a restaurant back home. It marks a transition between the daytime around the pool and the evening. That even applies to my granddaughter who took her first DCL cruise at 16 months. My daughter always gets complimented on her appearance. We have special clothes for formal night and Palo.
However, DCL doesn't seem to enforce any rules now even if they have them, or it hasn't on the recent cruises that I've taken. I saw ripped dirty jeans, runners and caps or bandanas in Palo for example.
So wear whatever you want I guess. With that one Palo exception I can't say that I've ever paid any attention to what others are wearing.

I typically notice cruise casual but they are those few that dress up for every meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter