Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
What area of the country is operating at 80% normal and not exploding with cases? Most states are exploding with cases right now, so please be specific. This is a ridiculous claim.

My state is not anywhere near 80% normal and cases are spiking astronomically.

I am in NE FL and yes our county is fairly normal and no we aren’t exploding , what happens is manageable. Schools have been back in send mid august and no school has had to shut down. Sports are being played, festivals are happening and so on. Not a small population area and schools are over crowded on a good day.

The same source about fireworks shows from the other forum dropped this nugget today:

"HarmoniUs can be ready but not running. They are not going to premiere a brand new fireworks show without a vaccine. They are presuming we will have one by then and proceeding under that assumption so they have something to market next summer, if deemed appropriate."

Sounds no Harmionius without a vaccine. Guess EF could still be in play.

Doesn't really make sense to tie an opening of an attraction, or the relaxation of safety measures, directly to the availability of a vaccine. Even if there is a vaccine, it may not be very effective, enough people might not take it, it make take a long time to distribute, etc. Openings should be tied to case numbers, and a vaccine is just one tool to help improve those numbers.

Take a page from the character meet and greets, hidden doors leading to 5 identical stores selling identical limited merchandise. They don’t even have to build new buildings 😂

haha, I am picturing a small area that looks completely ransacked and there is only one left of each item and the CM saying "wow, you are lucky, last one left!!!" ... and then when that person leaves they replace the item and repeat with the next guest

haha, I am picturing a small area that looks completely ransacked and there is only one left of each item and the CM saying "wow, you are lucky, last one left!!!" ... and then when that person leaves they replace the item and repeat with the next guest

Love that! 😂 Think of what the psychological impact of that would do to sales.

I haven't heard Enchanted Tales with Belle mentioned, so I guess that's a character meet and not a show. I really missed that and Laugh Floor and the people mover in MK last week. Thank goodness I could play Sorcerers!

Doesn't really make sense to tie an opening of an attraction, or the relaxation of safety measures, directly to the availability of a vaccine. Even if there is a vaccine, it may not be very effective, enough people might not take it, it make take a long time to distribute, etc. Openings should be tied to case numbers, and a vaccine is just one tool to help improve those numbers.
I think the underlying assumption is that the release and distribution of a vaccine is the only way that Disney can get to the point where the parks can get even close to back to normal.

Which equity actors remain? Frozen performers and Dapper Dans?
Are there non-equity people in shows that are represented by other unions, or were they laid off previously?

My parents are in their 70's and basically visited Disney World for the first time in February. There was a reason why Mom declared "It was my favorite vacation of all-time." and she's itching to get back.

She skipped the coasters. And she didn't say that because she enjoyed Soarin'.

The entertainment is off the charts there. It appeals to everyone at all ages.

We’ve done three large trips with extended family ranging in age from 2 to 70 and this is exactly why - there was always something that would appeal to everyone. We’d be together for some rides we could all do (Safari, Small World, Pirates, etc) and break off for a few hours so everyone could do their own thing - coasters for the more adventurous, Dumbo for the littlest, a show for the more ride-averse, a drink with some ambient entertainment for those looking for a more relaxing pace. But we could all find something to do that appealed to us.

Things are very bleak right now and people are suffering, but I have to believe that when things with the pandemic improve we will start seeing the entertainment we know and love begin to return. Time will tell, I suppose.
Way behind today so sorry for the late reply if everyone has moved on from this discussion - but reports are that the Chapek regime was going to make a lot of these cuts anyway, it’s just being sped up and blamed on COVID.

As others far more knowledgeable than I have explained, this is a choice. They could get creative with park budgets or with exec salaries but are choosing not to. If we saw Disney doing everything they could to keep CMs employed, keep the magic, and keep guests happy (via deep discounts or creative albeit altered experiences) then we could forgive a lot, but I don’t feel they are worried about CM or guest experience at the moment. Heck, ticket prices are still FULL PRICE for no FP, no parade, no fireworks, and barely any entertainment.

Chapek was in charge of parks for years and is extremely ROI focused so while COVID will become less of an issue over time, the parks are entering a new phase of existence that many of us may not love.

Way behind today so sorry for the late reply if everyone has moved on from this discussion - but reports are that the Chapek regime was going to make a lot of these cuts anyway, it’s just being sped up and blamed on COVID.

As others far more knowledgeable than I have explained, this is a choice. They could get creative with park budgets or with exec salaries but are choosing not to. If we saw Disney doing everything they could to keep CMs employed, keep the magic, and keep guests happy (via deep discounts or creative albeit altered experiences) then we could forgive a lot, but I don’t feel they are worried about CM or guest experience at the moment. Heck, ticket prices are still FULL PRICE for no FP, no parade, no fireworks, and barely any entertainment.

Chapek was in charge of parks for years and is extremely ROI focused so while COVID will become less of an issue over time, the parks are entering a new phase of existence that many of us may not love.

I understand your point, but there are things that got cut that would not have. For example, Hoop de Doo Revue which fills 3 shows a night even during the quieter months and is a pricy ticket. It’s a moneymaker and was definitely cut due to covid.

Were they? I’m seeing posts online about them being cut, also.
I haven’t seen confirmation. It would be strange if they all were. Disney had announced they would return for the holidays but I suppose they are still under employment until December. The site that can’t be named said non-principal vocalists so not the full group.

That literally isn’t how business works. At any level of business (unless you don’t know what you’re doing and then you are very lucky or going out of business soon). Every company that is operating competently has a plan. Actually what they have are multiple plans for different scenarios. It would be the height of business stupidity to just decide everything by seat of your pants everyday based on COVID numbers.

The entertainment is not needed to draw people into the parks now and won’t be for the next few months. Chop it. Keep the cash. Business decision pure and simple.
Forcasting is like, the most major part of business strategy. Of course no one can tell the future but you still have to make a plan. It's why execs make the big bucks, to hedge against failure, and the unforseen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter