Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what happened to me but they took my information to call me back. He indicated that he thought the system would have to update first.
Good luck with your room change and I hope you hear soon.
I never made it to GS, the (amazing!) CM put me on hold for a while and the system updated while on hold so he said he never had to "leave me."

Good luck to everyone else having to call! After my initial disconnection, my next call was 1:06. I was on hold for 25 minutes with the rest on and off hold with the CM. Not too bad.

Good luck with your room change and I hope you hear soon.
I never made it to GS, the (amazing!) CM put me on hold for a while and the system updated while on hold so he said he never had to "leave me."

Good luck to everyone else having to call! After my initial disconnection, my next call was 1:06. I was on hold for 25 minutes with the rest on and off hold with the CM. Not too bad.

They found us an equivalent accessible room at CBR so I took it.

Might have to change my BCV reservation if SAB is gonna be closed until they reopen the hotel side. Really not much of a perk to stay there if you cant park hop, and cant use SAB

If DVC at Jambo is opening, do we think Boma, Jiko, or the QS at Jambo could open anytime soon? I'm bummed that I can't book AKL for February. I had a reservation at WL for December but already changed it to BRV since I can see it not opening at all.

That says Yacht Club is open now, which it's not when I search for a room there tomorrow.

Unfortunately they put the information out too soon. The dates go all the way to AoA opening on November 1st

I called about my December reservation at BWI, which now has no opening date. The CM apparently had not been updated and assured me that BWI was opening October 1. She was extremely courteous and friendly, but unfortunately could not help me at that time.

I was really hoping to move to a BWV or BCV studio anyway, so this change doesn’t upset me too much. However, if they try to move me to Riviera, I will probably cancel. My existing reservation is a 30% off bounceback, and should be price protected. Or with any luck, Disney will release another 40% AP offer and I can rebook at a resort of my choice.

They could’ve even kept Yacht Club closed and opened Beach Club since that has DVC which is open. Disney could then take their time to clean up after the NBA. Just interesting to see how they are going about things.
My understanding is that the rationale has to do with labor. Even though they’re not in public-facing roles right now, the YC CMs are still back at work. If there were to be a sizable gap between the time the NBA left and when the resort reopened for Guests, they’d either have to pay those CMs for the period they weren’t working or re-furlough them, neither of which Disney wants to do at the moment. Though not available for the general public, think of YC, GF, and CSR as all open right now. If they need to delay some resort reopenings, it makes more sense to delay ones that (the hotel-sides) aren’t even open. Even going from DVC-only to hotel-side and DVC open, there’s a large increase in labor capital needed that most guests wouldn’t realize. That large increase doesn’t exist over at YC since the hotel has basically already been open and those CMs are back. When you look at the changes, the only dates that didn’t budge were the three NBA resorts (plus CBR but that’s likely because it’s reopening was too soon to be cancelled; CMs already back at work).
Unless they needed YC open for the pet friendly deluxe availability? Only thing I can think of with that move.
I’m not even sure if pet-friendly options are currently available. I know the dog parks aren’t. Anyone have any info on this? If not, I can try to find out.
The reopening changes have more to do with staffing and demand though.
Do we have any idea when YC opens, they'll open the restaurants too? Been wanting to try Ale & Compass
My understanding is that the current plan is for most of those facilities to reopen (Yachtsman, Ale & Compass, Market at A&C), but we’ll see. I mean the original plan was for Sebastians at CBR to reopen too and that was scrapped relatively quickly. The fate of SAB also remains unknown. If I had to guess, I’d say they’ll reopen SAB since they know what a draw it is and YC can’t rely on DVC members who have a greater incentive to stay there. But again, all of that could change. I can tell you Disney didn’t anticipate these resort reopening delays even on 7/11.
Demand must have fallen off a cliff with no EP hopping?

(If so that’s sad as I was hoping they’d do something about allowing hopping to EP. if that’s the reason they aren’t opening then this signals they aren’t gonna do anything about that 😔 )
It’s not just demand for YC/BC but for most of WDW at the moment. Apparently, weekends are doing okay (not great) but the concern is weekdays, some of which are just too slow. Remember also that even if wait times seem high at times, most of these attractions are operating anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of their regular capacity. Wait times are more indicative of what percentage capacity they’re operating at (and in some cases have been exacerbated by lots of downtime) than crowd levels in the park. Disney expected heavier crowds at this point. If the FL Resident 2-Day Ticket special didn’t indicate that (I cannot emphasize to you how much of a warning signal that is, as it has forever since WDW offered a FL resident discount on a 2 day), CMs being unblocked this week, more spots going to the AP bucket, and the resort delays should make it crystal clear. Disney didn’t want to do any of things (all don’t generate a ton of revenue), but they desperately need more people in the parks right now. I had been told they, even before reopening, they were concerned about September. There’s a lot of uncertainty at the moment regarding what schools may do so parents may be even less enthusiastic about post-summer travel. Likewise, bookings are already very “soft” (not really sure what that means in this moment) and there are concerns about an active hurricane season. WDW has had its operations impacted in some way three of the last four years by a named storm. That doesn’t even begin to factor in where FL COVID-19 cases could go. Who knows?

As a result, for lack of a better term, things seem to kind of be frozen in place at the moment. There’s some small movement here and there with a few things (like the Germany shops) coming back, but for the most part, what you see is what you’re going to get at least until we’re on the other side of September. Remember, the original plan was to take a look at things 4-6 weeks after the initial reopenings and start making major changes. That can’t happen right now. While we’ve seen some glimmers of hope regarding the case count, Disney just isn’t making the money they thought they would and can’t get a firm idea when cases will be at a more manageable level. So when it comes to things like PH, fireworks, etc..., we’re likely going to have to wait until at least October for those things to even be considered, assuming nothing changes which is always possible.

My understanding is that the rationale has to do with labor. Even though they’re not in public-facing roles right now, the YC CMs are still back at work. If there were to be a sizable gap between the time the NBA left and when the resort reopened for Guests, they’d either have to pay those CMs for the period they weren’t working or re-furlough them, neither of which Disney wants to do at the moment. Though not available for the general public, think of YC, GF, and CSR as all open right now. If they need to delay some resort reopenings, it makes more sense to delay ones that (the hotel-sides) aren’t even open. Even going from DVC-only to hotel-side and DVC open, there’s a large increase in labor capital needed that most guests wouldn’t realize. That large increase doesn’t exist over at YC since the hotel has basically already been open and those CMs are back. When you look at the changes, the only dates that didn’t budge were the three NBA resorts (plus CBR but that’s likely because it’s reopening was too soon to be cancelled; CMs already back at work).

I’m not even sure if pet-friendly options are currently available. I know the dog parks aren’t. Anyone have any info on this? If not, I can try to find out.
The reopening changes have more to do with staffing and demand though.

My understanding is that the current plan is for most of those facilities to reopen (Yachtsman, Ale & Compass, Market at A&C), but we’ll see. I mean the original plan was for Sebastians at CBR to reopen too and that was scrapped relatively quickly. The fate of SAB also remains unknown. If I had to guess, I’d say they’ll reopen SAB since they know what a draw it is and YC can’t rely on DVC members who have a greater incentive to stay there. But again, all of that could change. I can tell you Disney didn’t anticipate these resort reopening delays even on 7/11.

It’s not just demand for YC/BC but for most of WDW at the moment. Apparently, weekends are doing okay (not great) but the concern is weekdays, some of which are just too slow. Remember also that even if wait times seem high at times, most of these attractions are operating anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of their regular capacity. Wait times are more indicative of what percentage capacity they’re operating at (and in some cases have been exacerbated by lots of downtime) than crowd levels in the park. Disney expected heavier crowds at this point. If the FL Resident 2-Day Ticket special didn’t indicate that (I cannot emphasize to you how much of a warning signal that is, as it has forever since WDW offered a FL resident discount on a 2 day), CMs being unblocked this week, more spots going to the AP bucket, and the resort delays should make it crystal clear. Disney didn’t want to do any of things (all don’t generate a ton of revenue), but they desperately need more people in the parks right now. I had been told they, even before reopening, they were concerned about September. There’s a lot of uncertainty at the moment regarding what schools may do so parents may be even less enthusiastic about post-summer travel. Likewise, bookings are already very “soft” (not really sure what that means in this moment) and there are concerns about an active hurricane season. WDW has had its operations impacted in some way three of the last four years by a named storm. That doesn’t even begin to factor in where FL COVID-19 cases could go. Who knows?

As a result, for lack of a better term, things seem to kind of be frozen in place at the moment. There’s some small movement here and there with a few things (like the Germany shops) coming back, but for the most part, what you see is what you’re going to get at least until we’re on the other side of September. Remember, the original plan was to take a look at things 4-6 weeks after the initial reopenings and start making major changes. That can’t happen right now. While we’ve seen some glimmers of hope regarding the case count, Disney just isn’t making the money they thought they would and can’t get a firm idea when cases will be at a more manageable level. So when it comes to things like PH, fireworks, etc..., we’re likely going to have to wait until at least October for those things to even be considered, assuming nothing changes which is always possible.
Thanks for the always informative behind-the-scenes perspective. I know you mentioned "warning signals" about several things, do you think (in your opinion obviously) that Disney is so far under the demand they expected that they may close again? Or are they still making enough to get by and weather this storm?

Also, I might add that if they are truly desperate for visitors they could lift block-out dates to get more blocked APs to visit...

Ha. So my initial GF reservation has now cycled through GF, Poly, and CR. It's like I'm doing a monorail tour without even being there yet 🤣

Trip planning in 2020 is wild. Good news is I've saved money with every switch... Every time Disney closes my resort I end up with a more economical option 😆 Silver lining!

Oh, one more thing, @andyman8 do you have any insights to the amount of APs who have canceled so far? Is Disney happy about it, upset about it, or it's exactly as they expected? It seems like a LOT of APs canceled their passes so far and I presume more will as the deadline approaches.

Also, the CDC has changed the period of time recommended for quarantine from 14 days to 10.
The CDC did NOT change the quarantine time from 14 days down to 10. That is ONLY when you have tested positive or have symptoms. I've seen this misconception. Please do the 14 days if you're going to do it. You can still develop symptoms up to 14 days. The 10 days is regarding being contagious and most of the time the issue was the time it took to get back to work or to leave isolation and needed that additional test that showed negative to do so but is not related to when you may have had exposure and have yet to develop symptoms yet.

Definitely check with your boss regarding all of this prior to travel :)

The CDC did NOT change the quarantine time from 14 days down to 10. That is ONLY when you have tested positive or have symptoms. I've seen this misconception. Please do the 14 days if you're going to do it. You can still develop symptoms up to 14 days. The 10 days is regarding being contagious and most of the time the issue was the time it took to get back to work or to leave isolation and needed that additional test that showed negative to do so but is not related to when you may have had exposure and have yet to develop symptoms yet.

Definitely check with your boss regarding all of this prior to travel :)

Even if it were true, what’s the extra 4 days to be safe than sorry? If your job is allowing you to work from home to self quarantine, use the extra 4 days

Leaving up the faulty data from someone who doesn’t have direct knowledge over factual statistics provided by those who actually live in FL seems strange. People come here to plan a vacation and feel confident they will be safe during this pandemic, so seeing fake information and/or posters fear mongering with their own personal opinion is not helpful.
I agree with your substantive point, but it's unfair to put Rteetz in the position of having to figure out what is fake and what is not...it's also unfair to expect him to be able to delete every "possibly fake" post--as he notes, he has a life, too.

You should find a different TA to use.
There are actually a TON of uninformed TAs and agencies. I decided to use one back in April when our March res. got messed up from closures and I've consistently been the one telling her what new info has come out. Originally I was going to book another trip with her this Fall because I felt bad for her but tbh a booking through a TA has been such a huge hassle that I'm not using a TA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter