• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard on Sunday when you can theoretically buy 2021 tickets will we be able to buy them online or will we have to call in?

With all the reduced benefits of a local AP, it's clear Disney thinks the money lies with out of state visitors, staying on site. This is something I've said for years. We're out of state AP holders who visit multiple times a year. I've always thought the AP was an amazing bargain. Even with the price increases, I cover the cost of my AP with my first visit every year. While others would rant about the rate increases, I could still more than justify the expense.

For us, it will depend on just how things settle out as to whether continuing to buy an AP is worth it or not. Right now it isn't. Restrictions aside, we aren't visiting FL with the rising numbers so whether there's enough value in the AP is irrelevant. We're getting a refund on our active AP's. I have a voucher that I'm holding on to with plenty of time to see how things end up on a permanent basis.

The only solution for locals is to not book a resort stay until just before your stay. I'm not sure it really affects all that many local AP's. I would think a great many who live with a few hours or closer to WDW don't stay all that often or for all that long. Yes, some do, but I would bet a majority do not. Right now, Disney's looking short term and the focus is on $$$$$ only. That's not the route I'd take, but it's the one they've chosen.

Has anyone seen if you can wear a face shield at WDW? Not instead of a mask, but in addition to one?
Idk where I saw it, but I thought I read it has to be a mask that loops around your ears and it specifically mentioned shields weren’t acceptable. Idk about being in addition to a mask, though. Some people were upset because that eliminated those gaiters where it’s like an infinity scarf wrapped around your neck. I could be wrong, I read that somewhere last month before when we knew pretty much nothing about the parks opening.

You should assume demand is way down. While only a hand full of countries are formally blocked by the US government, international travel is essentially dead right now. So all those summer tour groups won’t be there. Plenty of people have canceled because of the restrictions.

If I had to guess AK and DHS are around 9-10k. Magic Kingdom is probably double that.
Yeah, this. The people that post here are a really small non-representative sample of the larger population right now. Very few people are booking vacations right now because: 1. The coronavirus situation in the US and especially Florida is really really bad and getting worse every day, and; 2. The economy is really really bad.

Just a heads up, it seems they opened the system up early. When I checked the 15th I was able to reserved DHS, but when I tried for the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, everything was gone. I'm holding out hope that it's just a glitch.

Idk where I saw it, but I thought I read it has to be a mask that loops around your ears and it specifically mentioned shields weren’t acceptable. Idk about being in addition to a mask, though. Some people were upset because that eliminated those gaiters where it’s like an infinity scarf wrapped around your neck. I could be wrong, I read that somewhere last month before when we knew pretty much nothing about the parks opening.

On their updates page:
Face Coverings
Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

Just a heads up, it seems they opened the system up early. When I checked the 15th I was able to reserved DHS, but when I tried for the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, everything was gone. I'm holding out hope that it's just a glitch.
DHS doesn't open until July 15.
Walt Disney World theme parks will open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, followed by Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.

Well me being optimistic about Disney lasted all of a week. I thought availability was going to be no problem. Now it looks like APs have sold out for the entire month of July before 7AM.

Well me being optimistic about Disney lasted all of a week. I thought availability was going to be no problem. Now it looks like APs have sold out for the entire month of July before 7AM.

I still see nearly full availability.

Attachments

• 364CCA42-9DFA-4ACA-97E3-5840BF6F1B5D.png
    364CCA42-9DFA-4ACA-97E3-5840BF6F1B5D.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 43
So we are scheduled the end of July. With mainly resort only guests and a limited number of AP. Traveling from the TTC should be pretty light overall. We are at the CR and only have one EPCOT day planned.
I can’t imagine they would open up a lot of AP park reservations the first few weeks.
Approximately how many do you predict will be spread across all 4 parks?

DHS doesn't open until July 15.
Walt Disney World theme parks will open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, followed by Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.

Yes, but I said everything, not DHS.
There is still availability.

Only only concern was the 11th. But as for the other days, the calendar shows availability but nothing when you actually try to go and book them. I keep clicking and eventually days pop up, but even in August I am finding it difficult. MK for the 11th keeps popping up for me, but when I go to the final step where I select the time, it is gone.

Weird, I show that for some days it shows DHS not available for resort guests but available for AP holders.

I'm still unable to get park reservations to cover my total booked onsite reservations as an APH. I was able to book each day of my August trip (14 days), and then I have a September trip that is 2 nights at a DS Official hotel. I can only book one day of park reservations for that stay for a total of 15 days. I get a message at that point that we have exceeded our days. There is a phone number provided that you can call if you think it's a mistake, but It's not bothering me enough to sit on hold, so I'll wait it out for now.

I think there have always been crappy restrictions for APHs and fastpasses, so these new restrictions don't surprise me at all. When the weather is nice, we typically have onsite stays booked within 60 days of each other and have been prevented from making fastpasses for the next trip on the calendar often. I have a hunch they're utilizing a lot of the same technology as the fastpass system, so they need to get their crackerjack IT team to make alterations that create a much more APH friendly system. It's one thing to be blocked from fastpasses, it's quite another to restrict park entry altogether.

My AP expires on 8/24, 3 days after the last day of my August trip. I plan on visiting for this trip and then making a decision about whether to get the partial refund. I'm hoping that they do something to court my business between now and then because the extra 30 days offered thus far isn't gonna cut it.

AP Reservation system is open and as we discussed last night:

If you are an AP with resort reservations it is ONE OR THE OTHER.

You can NOT have BOTH single day park reservations and resort reservations park reservations.
I was just able to book based on just my AP and have resort stays. showed up in my plans and everything. give it a try

Idk I guess I just don’t feel hard done by this as an out of state AP. I always stay on site anyway. If anything it’s locals who get screwed by this, just like the FP situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter