Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Membership dues only pertain to the DVC “side” of the resort and don’t even cover every operating cost for that side, especially around staffing and management. If annual dues that we’re already coming in fully covered the cost of running a timeshare resort, then why would any have closed? There was never any legislation in Florida that shut down hotels and timeshares. At those mixed used resorts, they also don’t pay for front desk personnel, shopping and dining facilities, bell services, and many other front of house positions and costs. Also generally a “skeleton crew” is what the resorts are employing right now to maintain the hotels and keep them in good condition. Disney’s not going to operate those hotels with skeleton crews or even radically reduced crews, because that would mean they’re not filling nearly enough rooms to be making the “positive contribution” that Chapek discussed. Theoretically, the DVC resorts could be open right now, but I think it’s telling that they’re not.

There are many reasons why DVC resorts were allowed to close but as owners, we have the property management contract with Disney, so they control the staff.

Lots of discussion about specifics on the DVC threads about it so won’t repeat it here!

Actualy member dues DO cover the entire cost to operate the DVC resort including transportation and property taxes. We also pay into a reserve fund to cover refurb.
So then why are the DVC resorts not open if all of their operating costs are being taken care of by the Membership? They've been allowed to this whole time. That'd be a win-win for Disney (no outbound cashflow, only inbound from shopping and dining). It's because all of the operating costs are not. Member dues do not cover "hotel-side" facilities and much of the resort's employmees. They contribute heavily to them; they cover maintenance costs, certain utilities, *some* transportation, infrastructure, and taxes. There are a lot more costs to operating a resort than just those. I am aware of the reserve fund, but the reserve fund is irrelevant here.

There are many reasons why DVC resorts were allowed to close but as owners, we have the property management contract with Disney, so they control the staff.

Lots of discussion about specifics on the DVC threads about it so won’t repeat it here!
I'm not saying they're not allowed to close at all. All I'm saying is that Disney has the option to already have their DVC resorts open if they wanted to (like some other timeshares) but they have chosen not to do that. That's absolutely their right, and my *guess* is that it has a lot to do with logistics and finances (and potentially health to a lesser extent)

I don’t think that are going to announce a date tomorrow that will slam their call centers with weeks worth of canceled reservations. So my money is no latter than June 22.
That would be sweet since I have a reservation that begins on June 22. :D

I don’t think that are going to announce a date tomorrow that will slam their call centers with weeks worth of canceled reservations. So my money is no latter than June 22.
I agree. I think the August rumor or the idea they’d stay closed until the NBA is done is pretty much out the window. My revised guess after June 1 was miserably wrong was the 15th. Think I’ll just stick with it. It could easily be the 22nd before we see a full opening though.

I'm not saying they're not allowed to close at all. All I'm saying is that Disney has the option to already have their DVC resorts open if they wanted to (like some other timeshares) but they have chosen not to do that. That's absolutely their right, and my *guess* is that it has a lot to do with logistics and finances (and potentially health to a lesser extent)

The emergency powers and the property management agreement played a role and the health and safety of CMs that owners pay Disney to run the resorts was a big part of it.

Nothing to do with finance...not a legal reason to shut them down. Once state of emergency was declared, they chose to excercise based on safety. Disney also decided they didn’t want to operate resorts, including DVC, during those government orders, to protect the CMs who would have had to work.

The emergency powers and the property management agreement played a role and the health and safety of CMs that owners pay Disney to run the resorts was a big part of it.

Nothing to do with finance...not a legal reason to shut them down. Once state of emergency was declared, they chose to excercise based on safety. Disney also decided they didn’t want to operate resorts, including DVC, during those government orders, to protect the CMs who would have had to work.
@Sandisw , did you ever get clarification about HHI then since the State of Emergency in South Carolina expired on May 12?

I agree. I think the August rumor or the idea they’d stay closed until the NBA is done is pretty much out the window. My revised guess after June 1 was miserably wrong was the 15th. Think I’ll just stick with it. It could easily be the 22nd before we see a full opening though.
I still think that the 15th could turn out to be the day. I think that is what I first predicted months ago now, but I’m so much older now I can’t remember for sure.

I don’t think that they are going to announce a date tomorrow that will slam their call centers with weeks worth of canceled reservations. So my money is no latter than June 22.
Now we just have to see what parts will be open..! I'm just hoping that everything is ready to go, and that my Mickey's not-so-scary Halloween party will happen... going in August. :cheer2:

Last edited:

Again, not saying Disney made the decision to close based on finances initially; it was based on health and safety upon closing. But at this point, with other timeshares in Florida now resuming operations and the stay at home orders lifted, they *could* have all DVC resorts reopened. Would it be wise? I don't know, but I do know that if they wanted them open, they'd be open at this point. That begs the question why they aren't? Disney can still say health and safety, but other timeshares in Florida have come to a different conclusion and reopened earlier. Now, I'm not saying Members have a legal leg to stand on at all. At this point, it's hard to argue with health and safety, and there are additional protections for Disney. Again, I'm not arguing Members have a right to expect them open or that they even should be open. All I'm saying is that Disney could argue the "emergency" has ended and reopen them. They have not. I'd argue that part of that is a business decision (whether they admit it or not). DVC is as much a business (albeit a more complicated one) as any other division of WDW and TWDC, and any business is of course going to consider financial and business interests in any sort of reopening. My whole point originally was that it might not make financial sense to have DVC Resorts operating months before a park reopening. It's a moot point now, given that we'll (hopefully) have some reopening answers tomorrow. You're more than welcome to disagree, but that's my opinion (as valid as any). That's all I'm going to say, as this has very little to do with the topic of this thread.

Again, not saying Disney made the decision to close based on finances initially; it was based on health and safety upon closing. But at this point, with other timeshares in Florida now resuming operations and the stay at home orders lifted, they *could* have all DVC resorts reopened. Would it be wise? I don't know, but I do know that if they wanted them open, they'd be open at this point. That begs the question why they aren't? Disney can still say health and safety, but other timeshares in Florida have come to a different conclusion and reopened earlier. Now, I'm not saying Members have a legal leg to stand on at all. At this point, it's hard to argue with health and safety, and there are additional protections for Disney. Again, I'm not arguing Members have a right to expect them open or that they even should be open. All I'm saying is that Disney could argue the "emergency" has ended and reopen them. They have not. I'd argue that part of that is a business decision (whether they admit it or not). DVC is as much a business (albeit a more complicated one) as any other division of WDW and TWDC, and any business is of course going to consider financial and business interests in any sort of reopening. My whole point originally was that it might not make financial sense to have DVC Resorts operating months before a park reopening. It's a moot point now, given that we'll (hopefully) have some reopening answers tomorrow. You're more than welcome to disagree, but that's my opinion (as valid as any). That's all I'm going to say, as this has very little to do with the topic of this thread.

Actually, the state of emergency is still in effect in Florida. But, you are right, this isn’t the topic of the thread.

Just wanted to add (take it for what it's worth): I just spoke with a few friends of mine who are Parks Ops CMs (don't want to say which specific lines of business) spread across three of the four parks, and none of them have been called back yet or heard about a reopening date. These are all younger CMs (but we're not talking about new hires by any means; full-timers for the most part) with less seniority, so they wouldn't be the very first to be called back but I'd expect them to be back at work when their parks reopen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter