Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they say anything about hotels? And if they will be open June 5, did mention anything about how Express Passes might be handled with the re-opening procedures and virtual queues? On-site hotels are expensive, but worth it I agree with included Express Pass. We have reservations at Royal Pacific June 20-25 after a short Disney trip (still waiting to hear on that one). If Express Passes are nullified and no replacement value given, I'd consider switching to a cheaper hotel.

They didn’t say.

I agree. DVC owners are not in any better of a position. I have one week to decide if I want to gamble on my vacation actually happening or I want to cancel and be able to bank my points for next summer (which is the next opportunity my family will get to make a trip). Even just a statement that they will honor the agreement to return points to their use year for 30 days past the opening date would be helpful. I don't mind waiting it out, but I'm not willing to gamble a week's worth of points because they keep delaying this announcement.
I agree, tried to get them to give me that assurance. Seems counter-intuitive, almost like they're incentivizing those who don't want to lose the opportunity to put the borrowed points back into next year, to cancel. But the MS rep did say to me, "DVC always tries to do what's right for their members." I think since they have an issue with having lost capacity this year, so I don't think they'll have an issue with people wanting to put points back into next year.

Interested to see how they handle who actually gets in, assuming reduced capacity. Resort guests seem like a no-brainer, especially since guests at the "signature" (or whatever they are called) resorts receive the express pass, which is a significant monetary investment.
If they HAVE any OPEN resorts...apparently that's as of yet unannounced...

Universal might be more pressed to open since they never stopped paying TMs. Disney is content to wait and make sure they aren’t hasty. They are letting Universal see what it is like to be Big Brother only this time they have everything to lose.
Given the checkered ownership history of the Universal parks, there's possibility of Comcast simply selling off its parks that does not analogize to Disney. This makes improving cash flow a more central issue for the Universal execs.

If they HAVE any OPEN resorts...apparently that's as of yet unannounced...
Well, technically, the reopening itself hasn't even been officially "announced." Their website, social media, press site, and internal TM sites still say "closed through at least May 31." They're likely waiting for final approval from the Governor.

Yes it’s transportation and the resorts that are the biggest hurdles for Disney. UO, with the exception of Endless Summer, can have resort guests walk to the parks (not a fun walk from some of the resorts but doable). Disney doesn’t have that ability. How do you get all the guests from the all stars and moderates to MK when buses will have to have social distancing in place? Plus, driving to MK required mass transit to get to the park entrance as well. It’s going to require severely limited hotel capacity.

I’m just trying to temper some of the rampant optimism in this thread. I mean, I get it. I live half an hour away from WDW and go 2-3 times a month, usually with a resort stay every month or two. I miss it immensely. But I know it’s not going to be the same when it does reopen and I’d rather they continue to wait until they can reopen with a closer to normal operation. Waiting until the middle of July gives them more time to evaluate Springs, and how UO handles it. I’d rather they have precise plans they know will work, rather than just rushing to be the first to reopen.
They could always reopen without transportation. You are responsible for bringing or renting a car.

They could always reopen without transportation. You are responsible for bringing or renting a car.
True, but that's a lot of hassle, and essentially kills park hopping (which may not be a thing when Disney reopens anyway). I'm certainly not driving from my resort to MK, then taking the Disney transportation from the parking lot to the park, then doing the reverse, and driving to some different park and doing that all over.

On edit, it also seriously devalues almost all of the deluxe resorts.

Last edited:

The Dibb tracks FPs to 90 days. Club level guests can book FPs at 90 day mark. Other rides are available.
But Club Level services have been MIA since lockdown. They have no way to track that currently. Unless they have secret access somehow?
Club Level guests interested in purchasing additional FPs have been unable to do so since Disney closed in March. DSS has been working with a skeleton crew and have been unable to make CLFPs. CL guests have been told that if the program continues, guests interested will be contacted once Disney reopens. So, it’s not CL folks booking up Fantastic and ROL. Something else is going on.

True, but that's a lot of hassle, and essentially kills park hopping (which may not be a thing when Disney reopens anyway). I'm certainly not driving from my resort to MK, then taking the Disney transportation from the parking lot to the park, then doing the reverse, and driving to some different park and doing that all over.
It certainly would not be convenient. But, certainly hope they are not waiting for guests to be able to cram back into buses to reopen. Because if that’s the case, we’re going to be waiting a while....:faint:

I think with reduced capacity and extra busses they will be fine. Fill every other seat.
True, but it's not just the buses. If I pay a bunch of money for Yacht Club, then I expect to be able to take a boat to DHS. Those boats can get really crowded, so either more boats or maybe the reduced capacity fixes the issue (this is why Disney reopening is so complicated). Same with the monorail resorts. I expect to be able to jump on the train to MK, or the small boats.

Club Level guests interested in purchasing additional FPs have been unable to do so since Disney closed in March. DSS has been working with a skeleton crew and have been unable to make CLFPs. CL guests have been told that if the program continues, guests interested will be contacted once Disney reopens. So, it’s not CL folks booking up Fantastic and ROL. Something else is going on.

Sigh. I was just explaining WHY the Dibb tracks availability to 90 days when someone here asked. They still do that whether the CL program still exists or not. Totally agree that it isn’t anything to do with CL taking up FPs. :)

In these uncertain times and financial uncertainty for all parties... maybe Comcast and Disney can come to a deal for Marvel rights in the parks somehow...

Sigh. I was just explaining WHY the Dibb tracks availability to 90 days when someone here asked. They still do that whether the CL program still exists or not. Totally agree that it isn’t anything to do with CL taking up FPs. :)
I don’t know what it is either, but shows like FOTLK and Beauty and the Beast at Hs is showing sold out in August too. I’m beginning to think it’s an issue with the Dibb. Nothing else makes sense.

I agree, tried to get them to give me that assurance. Seems counter-intuitive, almost like they're incentivizing those who don't want to lose the opportunity to put the borrowed points back into next year, to cancel. But the MS rep did say to me, "DVC always tries to do what's right for their members." I think since they have an issue with having lost capacity this year, so I don't think they'll have an issue with people wanting to put points back into next year.
Well my plan is to call and try for some assurance this weekend as well. What do I have to lose, right? Maybe I'll get #Sven...:rolleyes1

I rented points from an owner for April (we moved due to cancellation) to June. I am from NY and not sure if quarentine thing still in place on June 26 (which would be crazy). Anyhow I read these posts and there seems to be an advantage of canceling before Disney cancel you. Should I reach out to my owner? I love Disney but feel like I should go this year if it’s on because who knows the restrictions next year brings. However the magic o used to feel for Disney is turning into disgust when I feel like they are doing the worst job commjnicating w people. The govt gave them bailout money. I pay the bailout money w my taxes. So Disney can’t sit on high horse forever. Anyhow, sorry for rant, suggestions on dvc points I’ve rented?

I rented points from an owner for April (we moved due to cancellation) to June. I am from NY and not sure if quarentine thing still in place on June 26 (which would be crazy). Anyhow I read these posts and there seems to be an advantage of canceling before Disney cancel you. Should I reach out to my owner? I love Disney but feel like I should go this year if it’s on because who knows the restrictions next year brings. However the magic o used to feel for Disney is turning into disgust when I feel like they are doing the worst job commjnicating w people. The govt gave them bailout money. I pay the bailout money w my taxes. So Disney can’t sit on high horse forever. Anyhow, sorry for rant, suggestions on dvc points I’ve rented?
The reason I said I have a week to decide in my earlier post is because if the current policy of putting points back into their use year stops (presumably when they open) then those points all go in to holding unless I cancel prior to 30 days before my trip. That means they must be used by the end of my use year and I can only be book a room 60 days in advance. For my family, this would essentially mean losing those points. This is not true for everyone- some people can and will travel in time to use the points. For me, canceling at 31 days allows me to bank those points into the next year. It might be worth reaching out and checking with your owner to see if they have an opinion. Especially since the 30 day mark is coming up for your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter