Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
[

Even during a F&W, we are not constantly outside. But, for those who do stay out in the heat all day, they may have to change how they tour the parks if the rules make it uncomfortable for them. Just the way it is.
Agreed. We spend a majority of our time outside. Especially at Epcot....but yes we will have to change it up this summer. We all have to adapt.

Wearing it for 30 minutes while in a climate-controlled store or a bus ride is very different than wearing it for 6-10 hours straight outside in summer heat and humidity. I can tell you that right now, no one has done this. No one has gone through a theme park all day wearing a mask in July heat to tell us how tolerable it is. Right now in Florida it's about 85 degrees. And already people in City Walk say its nearly unbearable wearing it for more than a few hours. In two months, that temperature is going to rise at least 10 degrees and the humidity is going to amp up as well. Suffice to say....few people are going to tolerate 8 hours outside in a mask in those condition. Disney is going to try it. They are going to see if it works. I think most people will have good intentions and give it a shot. But ultimately, reality is going to set in. If someone is struggling with the heat, not getting enough oxygen, or their mask is full of sweat...it's coming off. What happens at that point....no one knows yet.

We'll see what happens.

What does it say about you when the CM's are working in the summer heat and humidity and wearing a mask and you complain about walking around in one?

My daughter is back at work in Florida and is doing work in the weather. She's fine! Perhaps people should start looking for a summer weight mask.

What does it say about you when the CM's are working in the summer heat and humidity and wearing a mask and you complain about walking around in one?

My daughter is back at work in Florida and is doing work in the weather. She's fine! Perhaps people should start looking for a summer weight mask.

I won`t get paid to go to WDW.

I`ll pay a lot to get to WDW.

Weird that the Orlando sentinel would write a piece like this. Florida needs the travel industry. Opening CW and DS are a start to get back to that. Just like sports writers are out of work because there’s no sports to cover, without theme park industry, Im sure a lot of people would lose their jobs in Orlando, probably even some that write for the Orlando Sentinel

Because of corporate restructuring, consolidation and downsizing, very few reporters work for the Sentinel anymore. Unless the paper is willing to fold or abandon the city altogether, there aren’t very many reporting jobs to lose there anymore.

A friend of mine just reached out, she is a FT at Co-Op she has been called back to go the 24th with the opening on the 27th
She tells me, at least the DS CM, will not see a regular HUB schedule for now, instead they will all be required to report to work at a set time (in my friends case the 24th) . And then schedules will be setup for the first week without regard to preferences, just based on need. Then the next week it will be by seniority/preference. They are reaching out to call back cast by phone or email. With 5 days notice. If they can't get in touch with the cast that way then by certified letter with a recall date 10 days from mailing the letter.
Again this is just for DS as to Theme Parks and resorts CM have not been called or contacted by the union at all

We kinda need to chill on Florida Union power. If they don’t work after getting called back to work, they don’t get paid. And many of the employees are desperate because FL unemployment is crap and they literally aren’t getting paid. Not to get political but their situation is well known so I don’t think I am. Disney knows their level of desperation for a paycheck darn well. And the union would like to still exist after this so telling everyone to walk off the job because everyone isn’t complying with mask wearing? Ehh. It’s not a strong argument because
1) It automatically assumes all union members want masks. Most likely not the case.
2) And that they are so dedicated to masks they are willing to forgo their paychecks. Definitely not the case.

I don’t see a Union Walk Out under any circumstances honestly. And the language Disney put out today tells everyone they will adjust guidelines based on public officials recommendations... I suspect the final union contract said the same thing...
my be true but would not look good for union to be able to point out that Disney didn't follow thru and an outbreak happens or even one CM gets virus

You don`t know my circumstances. Or others`. "The don`t want to wear mask don`t pay to go" were explained by me twice already. Of course you shouldn`t know this I know that... I won`t repeat it again, it gets boring.

But it`s annoying that people are generalise (is it a word? ) here. Not everyone is able to do everything.

I don`t think the "daughter" is a CM working in WDW right know. And that`s what I was referring to.
Actually I`m pretty sure she is not a CM working in WDW right now.

I for one I`m not sure that every CM wants to wear mask either. Probably they will If otherwise they won`t be able to work.

It doesn`t matter If someone is pro or against mask. The thing is IF mask will be required that will be something new. I personally don`t think it will have the hoped effect. I probably would rather take the risk to go without mask and get infected.

In my opinion:
-forcing people to wear a mask in order to get to WDW is not a good idea
-the normal until now was not wearing a mask
-if the normal will be changed in order to get people the false sense of security that they are protected against COVID if everyone wears a mask that`s not a good idea
-if it`s not just to give false sense of security I`d like to see proof of that
-if there`s no proof I will think it`s just to give false sense of seciruty
-if I have to wear mask to give others false sense of security I won`t be happy about it
Because in this case I`m forced to do something I don`t want (and which is different than the old normal)
in order to give others the false sense of security.

What does say about me as a person that I refuse when people "generalise" everything.
I never offended anyone. I always purely state what I think. I never said negative or positive things about anyone.

I always try to be logical. I feel offended.

Also I can see the M debate just can`t go away. But I`m wondering for a while now how many percentage of the people have booked holiday in the foreseeable future who are constantly posting here in M related posts?

I can understand this affect them ( I`m one of them ) in "kinda now" but others just arguing for the sake of argument?

I did post a couple of times in the subject but I don`t remember bringing it up once.

I’m so glad Disney is private property, and I hope they have appropriate staffing and/or authorities readily on premises to enforce their rules and assist when guests refuse to leave for non-compliance or escalate against cast members.

I am younger and am in better shape than most of my senior neighbors. I’ve been following all protocols and it is very unlikely I’ve been infected with COVID19. However, to show respect for those senior neighbors, as well as those wonderful folks that are willing to work through all this, I wear my mask when I go into grocery stores or pick up food from restaurants.

Even though we are within an hours drive, when Disney opens we are going to try and get a few days reservation at one of the resorts and go on down. I will wear my mask because I am thrilled CMs are willing to work in this weird time, and don’t want them to worry about me infecting them.

The reason guests wearing masks was in the union contract is no one working at Disney gets paid enough to put themselves out there to get infected by guests. Except maybe the Bobs. But I don’t see them handing out Churros.

This is happening everywhere I go. I think ppl want to be pro-mask on message board etc & maybe really are well-intentioned, but IRL when it comes to actually putting that into practice, it’s harder than it seems.

Exactly right, look at the tourist town of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in Tennessee just last night, very crowded and almost no one wearing masks except the vlogger also 6 feet separation is not even being observed in any real way. Skip ahead to the one minute mark. note this is before the capacity restrictions are lifted next week. The crowded indoor arcade at 2:39 is interesting, no masks being worn

Once the parks open and time goes by the masks will be an afterthought

Last edited:
I probably would rather take the risk to go without mask and get infected.

But you not wearing a mask is not you taking the risk to get infected.... it's you deciding to take the risk to get others infected if you happen to be asymptomatic.

But I digress, this is not the mask debate thread. This is a thread on cruise and theme park operational updates.

Looking forward to seeing the vlogs on Disney Springs reopening this week. We plan on staying at SSR in early July and will spend a lot of time at DS for dining and shopping and whatever entertainment is available. I watched some vlogs on Citywalk and I was pleased to see most people abiding by the rules and it made my heart happy to see the drummers and piano player entertainment added later in the week.

I know that it gives my family and I a lot of reassurance to see Disney abiding by CDC guidelines to create a safe environment for those that want to go.

A friend of mine just reached out, she is a FT at Co-Op she has been called back to go the 24th with the opening on the 27th
She tells me, at least the DS CM, will not see a regular HUB schedule for now, instead they will all be required to report to work at a set time (in my friends case the 24th) . And then schedules will be setup for the first week without regard to preferences, just based on need. Then the next week it will be by seniority/preference. They are reaching out to call back cast by phone or email. With 5 days notice. If they can't get in touch with the cast that way then by certified letter with a recall date 10 days from mailing the letter.
Again this is just for DS as to Theme Parks and resorts CM have not been called or contacted by the union at all
Very interesting, but seems like a more personal approach in getting called back to work. I’m glad people are getting called back again.

Exactly right, look at the tourist town of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in Tennessee just last night, very crowded and almost no one wearing masks except the vlogger also 6 feet separation is not even being observed in any real way. Skip ahead to the one minute mark. note this is before the capacity restrictions are lifted next week. The crowded indoor arcade at 2:39 is interesting, no masks being worn

Once the parks open and time goes by the masks will be an afterthought
I don’t believe masks have been required in Pigeon Forge. They were suggested not required.

But you not wearing a mask is not you taking the risk to get infected.... it's you deciding to take the risk to get others infected if you happen to be asymptomatic.

But I digress, this is not the mask debate thread. This is a thread on cruise and theme park operational updates.

Looking forward to seeing the vlogs on Disney Springs reopening this week. We plan on staying at SSR in early July and will spend a lot of time at DS for dining and shopping and whatever entertainment is available. I watched some vlogs on Citywalk and I was pleased to see most people abiding by the rules and it made my heart happy to see the drummers and piano player entertainment added later in the week.

I know that it gives my family and I a lot of reassurance to see Disney abiding by CDC guidelines to create a safe environment for those that want to go.
Well said! I look forward to the vlogs too. It was nice to hear Pete saying it’s not forcing anyone on the team to do opening coverage of that. I look forward to their opinions in the future :)

You are correct. My Daughter isn't working at Disney. She is working at another attraction that is trying to open in Florida that is outdoor and I think her job is a lot more physical than most of the positions CMs do at Disney. Some of her co-workers have already been working in the weather for 8 weeks now.

I suggest you read some of the posts that talk about the benefits of wearing masks, especially for the guests. You are protecting the CMs. The mods don't want me linking to science because they say people aren't going to read them anyway.

You are offended. Well, guess what???? I'm offended every time I read some rant on here about how hard it is for you to walk around wearing a mask while the CM's have to do it, whether they like it or not. They are doing it for you. Why can't you show them the same respect?

If you have some special need that prevents you from wearing masks, you will have to forgo going to the park right now. Sorry.

I had to miss out on a 1 week cruise in the Caribbean, a month-long stay in a beach condo on the Gulf and another 14 night TransAtlantic cruise after 14 days in Europe this year. I'm not on some message board complaining to someone about how unfair that is or how it's impossible for me to live without my plans.
well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter