Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is Disney will open mid July, with social distancing , with some mix of virtual queues and/or masks in queues, hand washing important, maybe wipes like the cruises. no fireworks or parades for the time being, also possible temp checks on entry. Over time those things will relax because you are correct, in my opinion I think we will find out it doesn't spread outdoors in any meaningful way or over a short period of time etc.
Why will those things relax? After how long?

As for not spreading outdoors - you're so wrong.

FWIW... Curiosity got the better of me so I went to the Marriott website and checked availability for the Swan. Dates in May between the 1st and 19th all show “unavailable to book”
Reservations are available from May 20th going forward - I didn’t check the Dolphin. As things were being shut down Marriott closed one of the two & moved remaining guests to the other - can’t remember which was closed.
Interesting so perhaps they are just planning on opening for key workers?

My cousin and his family were originally going to drive down to stay with us for a few days then head over to Disney May 9-13 at Yacht Club. He just called me this morning to let me know Disney cancelled the reservation. We have a reservation starting the end of May, I haven't received any cancellation emails as of right now.

Not a prayer using POP and AoA, probably not even for the support people.
I think Vegas would be the overall best option.
Yeah- those players don't need to be sleeping on value/mod beds for weeks on end.

But honestly... it's not like they're gonna stay quarantined very well in Vegas... :rotfl2:

Not a prayer using POP and AoA, probably not even for the support people.
I think Vegas would be the overall best option.
I think WDW works better than Vegas. All three buildings the NBA would use are very close together. The two hotel properties if they use Pop/AoA are right next to each other and are able to bus players in and out of WWoS easily. This is about finishing the season not luxury.

Update - we called Disney to ask why our room was canceled and they were unable to give us any information. Very upsetting, especially since we now don’t have a hotel for our first night of arrival.

There’s also no availability for any value resorts. While we would typically have no problem paying extra for a moderate resort, our plane comes in at 12 AM, so we don’t want to pay twice as much for a room we will be staying in for only half a day.

We were able to order our magic bands today. We were getting error messages all week that they weren’t taking any orders. Hoping that is a tiny silver lining??

Yep the nba players need the Grand Floridian and Yacht club , not pop and the all stars.

Yacht Club maybe, but I'd even say Old Key West would be good. OKW, since it is a dedicated DVC property would have more 1/2BR suite-style accommodations, which I am sure NBA players would prefer the privacy. At YC, there are some suites, but it would be mostly hotel rooms.

But, here's an outlier. I wouldn't count out Gran Destino. The proximity would be excellent. And the rooms are pretty deluxe-adjacent quality.

This exact idea was floated by our local ESPN radio show on March 31st. It was a good listen as they were discussing the players doing normal Disney stuff in between games:D.

It seems like games occurring in one location is gaining steam across several leagues, but I wonder how that revenue would compare for Disney vs limited park openings. If NBA comes it will likely be for few months at least, which I'm assuming means no other guests on property. How much is the NBA willing to spend?

It seems like games occurring in one location is gaining steam across several leagues, but I wonder how that revenue would compare for Disney vs limited park openings. If NBA comes it will likely be for few months at least, which I'm assuming means no other guests on property. How much is the NBA willing to spend?
I think any revenue coming in for Disney is good right now.

Agreed. Viable treatment will reduce the concerns about waiting for a vaccine.

Emory is starting a clinical trial that sounds very promising. Clinical trials will start later this spring, so won't be helpful for anyone thinking about Disney in the near future, but they think this treatment could be effective against other coronaviruses, and given that there's been 3 major coronaviruses in the last 20 years, this is important.
https://news.emory.edu/stories/2020/04/covid_eidd_2801_lung/index.html
My husband and I have a friend who is working on this, and it seems very promising (she is extremely excited about it). There is also a clinical trial for a vaccine already underway, they've already finished their recruiting for the "younger" volunteers and are now recruiting for older individuals for a second trial. Of course that trial last for an entire year so it will be at least May 2021 at the earliest if everything goes perfectly, then they have to mass produce it. I think people would feel better if there was an effective treatment though, even if there were no vaccine, because we can't keep the country locked down for the next year+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter