• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

A lack of national leadership combined with a State by State handling of this crisis in often times slow and incomplete responses and a scary lack of resources could mean a very different outcome in terms of timeline and length.
I laughed at your "State by State" comment. In Texas, we leave it up to each *county* to decide what to do. Then if a city doesn't think its county is doing enough, it imposes more stringent regulations.

I've been lurking on this thread for a couple of weeks now. I'm a HS marching band director and I had a group of 106 set to arrive at Pop Century on April 15. Our travel agency had us booked through Disney Youth Groups and we've been going back and forth for weeks! Because we are a group we couldn't cancel, just reschedule. And we were responsible for all 32 rooms. So basically we all went, or people lost their money. What a nightmare. Well Disney finally let us cancel for a full refund yesterday, but it's going to be weeks/months before we get the money back. I'm really disappointed that Disney hasn't announced a closure yet. This isn't the way Disney usually operates.

I laughed at your "State by State" comment. In Texas, we leave it up to each *county* to decide what to do. Then if a city doesn't think its county is doing enough, it imposes more stringent regulations.

This is how many states are handling, which makes the state level leadership look foolish when county and city leaders are taking stronger measures.

Hi there fellow North Carolinian. I'm in Davie County - just west of Forsyth County. Forsyth has the same order but my county doesn't yet. We're a small rural county and only 1 case but I'm very close to Forsyth. I hope you stay safe and don't worry - you'll get to go back ... I have a feeling June will be the month it opens up.
Hi there! Thanks for the encouragement and hope you stay safe and healthy, too! My fingers are crossed Davie Co doesn’t see more cases.

The problem is that there is no constant national lockdown. People are still moving freely and there are no mandatory 14 day isolation periods for those traveling from deeply infected areas to other parts of the country. Except in the case of those traveling from the NY state airports to Florida- where they must self isolate for 14 days. (and there are those already figuring out how to circumvent that requirement by driving to another state & flying out from there.)
In China there was no movement around the country at all.

Without lockdowns of all persons, with the few exceptions of essential service providers.. the virus will be a challenge to contain enough to “flatten the curve” The other challenge is that without complete self isolation, those who are asymptomatic and very, very contagious- are out there at large unknowingly infecting those they come in contact with.

Disney has not announced a plan to re open because the virus is still on the uptick. Once cases and deaths stop climbing, flatten out and begin a daily decline in numbers.. an educated decision made with the safety of their guests first & foremost in mind will be made and announced.

Given what the current data shows.. mid April is likely too optimistic. Mid June could happen - depending on how this all plays out over the next month to six weeks.

I get the desire to get things going.. we canceled our May 30th to June 6th trip too. It was heartbreaking. But as most things in life - wishing doesn’t make it so 💔
I think it will be pretty difficult to circumvent the new Florida requirement for guests that live in NY. We live in NY and a friend of ours who lives in NY as well had a spring break visit booked for April. They had already planned on flying out of Boston Mass. She was planning on canceling but received a phone call yesterday from the hotel they had booked (not Disney) telling them that since they were from NY the hotel booking had been canceled and that they were refunding them their non refundable deposit. She was happy that they were also allowing them to rebook any time in the next year at the discounted rate that they had originally booked at. They were also told that even if the flew down that all ID is being checked at the airports and they would not have been allowed to leave the airport. Sounds like they are serious about this.

I think it will be pretty difficult to circumvent the new Florida requirement for guests that live in NY. We live in NY and a friend of ours who lives in NY as well had a spring break visit booked for April. They had already planned on flying out of Boston Mass. She was planning on canceling but received a phone call yesterday from the hotel they had booked (not Disney) telling them that since they were from NY the hotel booking had been canceled and that they were refunding them their non refundable deposit. She was happy that they were also allowing them to rebook any time in the next year at the discounted rate that they had originally booked at. They were also told that even if the flew down that all ID is being checked at the airports and they would not have been allowed to leave the airport. Sounds like they are serious about this.

I totally zoned on the checking of documentation. Wasn’t sure it was done as stringently on domestic flights.

The new normal.🙁. As scary as it is and as upending as it has been.. i’m happy that businesses are being understanding and compassionate (by force or by choice.. lol)

I just keep reminding myself that it’s in the best interest of all of us to take it seriously, and that it is within our control to help shorten the duration.
I have a 91 year old Mom who has kidney disease and asthma. When i’m tempted to say the heck with it.. i remember what an exposure for her could mean. It’s the reality check I need in that moment to toe the line.

Strongs rumors going around the DVC community that the park will be closed until at least 6/1. That makes sense, matches with other guidance.

If WDW takes that strong of a stance then...(I wish this GIF would work)

I think it's pretty clear that they are hanging on to people's money for as long as they possibly can. This is apparent by the fact that they haven't cancelled cruises that are obviously NOT going to set sail (Alaska and Hawaii, and most likely Europe, too). Canada has closed the port until July 1 and Hawaii has issued quarantines, yet DCL refuses to issue a formal cancellation. Seeing the same thing with the parks/resorts really makes me shake my head :(

This is not about having enough staff to manage the volume of calls. My TA got right through to cancel my Northern European cruise last week.
This is absolutely the case. These companies are all teetering on the verge of insolvency right now, with significant challenges making payroll with no revenue coming in.

I just don't see how you or anyone can make that assumption, or any assumption, for that matter. How would it help them to hold on to people's money? They'll have to give it back either way, and it's not like they're holding on to late cancellation fees, so they're not profiting off of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be about call volume, either. Disney is one of the biggest employers in the country - they have a lot to figure out right now - and it's not just the parks that they need to handle.
Two Ways:

1. Float interest; or
2. They literally can't afford the payments right now and continue making payroll without opening additional lines of credit.

Both are possible.

This is absolutely the case. These companies are all teetering on the verge of insolvency right now, with significant challenges making payroll with no revenue coming in.
Not quite true there, nowhere near tettering on insolvancy, a bit too much fear mongering. Its market cap it currently 186 billion, stock is way up from its low last week. Have 7 billion or so in cash equivalents, and just raised another $6 billion last week. They will be fine and honestly a good buy in the long run at these prices/

Last edited:
Looks like the government will have new guidelines that will be put into place for each State and the counties within the state.

Low, Medium, High risk. With lower risk counties being able to reduce their social distancing policies.

Seems more information will follow soon......

So if this news is correct its going to be up to Orange county really to make decisions on what can and can not open.

Reactions: TJA
This lack of update from disney I know is driving a few of my cast member friends crazy. (I.e. paid, reopening, etc) It's not just people's vacation plans.

Really good point. Pretty much everyone (here) has been looking at it through the eyes of vacation, saying it's not a big deal and doesn't hurt anyone. When in reality - it is a HUGE deal for thousands of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter