Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, of course. I wasn’t suggesting they raise it again right now, I was just saying when they did raise it to 35% that it was only a matter of time. Eventually they will raise it again, but I don’t envision that occurring until the spring, and even that depends on the current situation at that time

I would say late Spring - maybe. If we start the 100 days of wearing masks after Jan 20, that would put us in up to April 30. Not sure WDW would want to be a talking point on the news if they increased park capacity prior to April 30.

Last edited:
after the capacity filled week of Thanksgiving they just had? solid no.
I have no dog in that fight, our APs are platinum, just curious what people thought for the sake of conversation. I know blackouts were lifted a few summers back so it can happen, but makes sense that isn’t the case for the holidays.

I would say late Spring - maybe. If we start the 100 days of wearing masks after Jan 20, that would put us in up to April 30. Not sure WDW would want to be a talking point on the news if they increased park capacity prior to April 30.
If someone isn’t wearing a mask now they aren’t gonna start end of January because some politician came up with a catchy phrase 😂

My vote is capacity at Disney won’t increase noticeably until the vaccine is decently distributed through the general population so maybe Q3 2021 at the absolute earliest considering the supply chain issues Pfizer fessed up to a couple days ago (which will cut their 2020 deliveries in half so it’s not some minor development that).

If someone isn’t wearing a mask now they aren’t gonna start end of January because some politician came up with a catchy phrase 😂

My vote is capacity at Disney won’t increase noticeably until the vaccine is decently distributed through the general population so maybe Q3 2021 at the absolute earliest considering the supply chain issues Pfizer fessed up to a couple days ago (which will cut their 2020 deliveries in half so it’s not some minor development that).

And it’s just speak for, it’s 100 days now until it’s 150, 200, until I deem it safe enough to not use the masks. And as you said. If people aren’t wearing them now, people aren’t going to buy that after 100 days they won’t have to continue being asked to wear them.

I’m not sold on the vaccine being a factor into future capacity raises. They reopened the parks during the worst spike in Florida, and raised capacity in the beginning of the worst spike in the country. I think they’re gonna want to gain momentum for the 50th by ramping up activity in the parks. If there’s exceeding demand around Spring Break/Easter, and the virus is at a standstill around the country, they may try and sneak it up again. I’m not saying they’re gonna jump it up to 75%, but maybe 5-10% at a time.

Let’s not forget as far as we know the plan is still to open one of the water parks in March, so that could also factor in to some decisions.

They’re also still currently planning on having the Star Wars Marathon weekend in mid-April, all but one of the races are sold out, so they expect that to bring in a good chunk of people. They could, and probably will cancel, but as long as it’s not, it’s still a factor

Last edited:
I would not think we would see a raise in capacity until they do one of these things

1) Open another resort (All-Star Movies)
2) Reduce social distancing (at least in outdoor queues) to avoid the traffic clogging lines)
3) Open the water park
4) Bring back show attractions
5) The virus is miraculously eradicated overnight.

Even then -- it's not like any of these things would mean a guarantee increase. It just depends on "us" and how many of us are going over the next few months (specifically January-March). Disney may be excited about the Christmas crowds, but I doubt they feel that crowds will INCREASE after the new year. So why raise capacity if they won't be hitting that max capacity level anyway during the colder winter months?

My trip on the 19th is the first I have rented a car. What are the current operational practices regarding parking?

My trip on the 19th is the first I have rented a car. What are the current operational practices regarding parking?
In terms of? Disney resorts charge for overnight parking. DVC guests on points do not get charged. Those staying at a Disney resort or as an AP do not get charged theme park parking. Disney springs parking is free.

In terms of? Disney resorts charge for overnight parking. DVC guests on points do not get charged. Those staying at a Disney resort or as an AP do not get charged theme park parking. Disney springs parking is free.

In terms of how early before park opening can you park?

We booked Royal Pacific at UOR for $180/night months ago before Disney discounted their resorts. Just need to know what time I can show up to park for rope drop.

In terms of how early before park opening can you park?

We booked Royal Pacific at UOR for $180/night months ago before Disney Discount their resorts. Just need to know what time I can show up to park for rope drop.
It varies. The best rule of thumb is really 1 hour before. It’s usually not later that than. Sometimes it’s much earlier than that.

Not to perpetuate the topic but here's a former imagineer (just got laid off) sharing her thoughts on fp

Now let’s imagine the park gives out 250 fastpasses per hour. The ride capacity is still 1000 guests per hour, but now, 250 guests have priority boarding. The wait for 1000 750 standby guests now goes up to 75 minutes.

With her example the "Average" wait time per guest dropped from 60 minutes to 57.

Now let’s imagine the park gives out 250 fastpasses per hour. The ride capacity is still 1000 guests per hour, but now, 250 guests have priority boarding. The wait for 1000 750 standby guests now goes up to 75 minutes.

With her example the "Average" wait time per guest dropped from 60 minutes to 57.

I think she is referring to 1000 people in line + 250 FP guests. So 1250 total.

I think she is referring to 1000 people in line + 250 FP guests. So 1250 total.

Well then you can just say there's 2,000 in line, or 5,000.

Throughput is 1,000 an hour-there is either a 60 min average wait for everyone without FP, or a 57 minute average wait with 25% FP, no wait for 250 and 75 minutes for the rest-750.

but the FP line isn't 0 minutes, it usually is still 10-20 minutes and having to shift between lines and sometimes they aren't as efficient when pulling people from multiple areas, etc.

Also, my understanding is that most rides are more like 800-900 FP per 1,000 so it makes the standby go way up

I am a big fan of FP+ due to the planning component and sort of helping to definie our day with what we know we have a FP for vs what we need to rope drop, etc. - but overall it does add to wait times

Not to perpetuate the topic but here's a former imagineer (just got laid off) sharing her thoughts on fp

Thank you for sharing!

In normal times I feel like I’m on both sides of the FP issue, if that makes sense. I was in the know enough to take full advantage and make it an overall benefit to my family, but I was also Disney nerd enough to understand that the system as a whole is not entirely beneficial if you are not able to take full advantage of it. In Covid times, the lessened capacity would exasperate FP’s negative issues, like how the move from FP- to + and the addition of it at mid tier attractions was an IMO overall negative move for those attractions.

Ultimately I am a fan of the way Disney implemented FP at WDW from its inception to March 2020 and hope whatever version we have in the future remains included with a ticket (yeah right, lol), but I am fully on team keep it away until normal operations return.

but the FP line isn't 0 minutes, it usually is still 10-20 minutes and having to shift between lines and sometimes they aren't as efficient when pulling people from multiple areas, etc.

Also, my understanding is that most rides are more like 800-900 FP per 1,000 so it makes the standby go way up

I am a big fan of FP+ due to the planning component and sort of helping to definie our day with what we know we have a FP for vs what we need to rope drop, etc. - but overall it does add to wait times

Well its usually been decent in years past, even Space we usually walk all the way up to the line on the right.

But agree 25% isn't as beneficial as 900 per 1,000.

It's really whatever data one looks at and puts as most important.

Actual wait time per rider,

or actual wait time per FP,

or actual wait time per SB.

If like you say, 900 are 10 minutes and 100 are even 100 minutes, that's still an average of 19 minutes and posted SB is 100 minutes.

If 999 are 10 minutes and 1 is 10 hours, the average ride wait is under 11 minutes, but the posted SB time is 10 hours.

I'm fine with no FP currently, but if they ever offer it again we will use it-even pay for it.

I'm also fine with 100% FP so no more SB, just like Virtual/RotR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter